U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:16 AM

21,328 posts, read 21,906,527 times

Advertisements

I usually refer to the people around me as Jeeves, they seem to like the occasional acknowledgement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,850,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I grew up in NYC (Bronx/southern Westchester) and I just can't say "youse". It sounds very awkward and affected like I am trying to be Italian.

Most Blacks in NYC say "Y'all".
Yeah I have noticed that Blacks say y'all in NYC, but maybe everyone I noticed saying youse was Italian. This was also back in the 90s.

"You guys" seems to be the younger version of "youse"

Old 10-26-2014, 09:33 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,428,067 times
If I know you, and we are cool. I'll call you bruh. If I don't know you, I'll call you sir. I hate to be called big dog, dog, pimp, playa, and especially, the n-word!

I'm in Atlanta now. However, I grew up in Harvey, Il. I stopped using the term "Joe" after basic training. Why? Because the drill sergeants called us "Joe". I do, at times, use "JacK" though. Example, "I dig this weather, Jack!" I do use the term "cat" when referring to a group of guys. Especially, when referring to dudes behaving badly. Example, "those cats are foul!"

I prefer to keep it respectable. I don't deal with brothas who refer to themselves with dehumanizing terms.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 AM

6,580 posts, read 2,799,472 times
In portions of the South it's "Bubba". Like.... "Hey Bubba...What's up?!"

Bubba is usually reserved for someone you know or someone that is known in your community.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 4,884 times
"Son" is very common in the New Orleans area. I've been saying it since about high school.
New York and New Orleans share many linguistic characteristics. http://lifehealthus.com/image/images/122.gif

Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yeah I have noticed that Blacks say y'all in NYC, but maybe everyone I noticed saying youse was Italian. This was also back in the 90s.

"You guys" seems to be the younger version of "youse"
I am definitely a 'You guys' guy. :-)

Old 10-26-2014, 03:21 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,146 times
I generally call people "ace" or "sparky" in casual conversation. If I really like someone, then it's "sizzlechest". My grandmother used to hate it when I called her that.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhahdh View Post
"Son" is very common in the New Orleans area. I've been saying it since about high school.
New York and New Orleans share many linguistic characteristics.
Well every time I watch Duck Dynasty they all call each other son and they are not even in the same region. So it must be a Louisiana thing.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
If I know you, and we are cool. I'll call you bruh. If I don't know you, I'll call you sir. I hate to be called big dog, dog, pimp, playa, and especially, the n-word!

I'm in Atlanta now. However, I grew up in Harvey, Il. I stopped using the term "Joe" after basic training. Why? Because the drill sergeants called us "Joe". I do, at times, use "JacK" though. Example, "I dig this weather, Jack!" I do use the term "cat" when referring to a group of guys. Especially, when referring to dudes behaving badly. Example, "those cats are foul!"

I prefer to keep it respectable. I don't deal with brothas who refer to themselves with dehumanizing terms.
Joe is so Chicago. I still use it from time to time.

Jack I feel is super Southern. I've never heard anyone in the Northeast or Midwest call someone Jack.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:03 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,428,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Joe is so Chicago. I still use it from time to time.

Jack I feel is super Southern. I've never heard anyone in the Northeast or Midwest call someone Jack.
Perhaps "Jack" is Southern. A lot of Black folk migrated from the South to the Midwest and continue to do so. However, I lived in Memphis for five years. I never heard the term. I live in Atlanta now. Again, I've never heard the term. I grew up in the Midwest; I heard it frequently, back in the day. It's probably an age thing. Older cats used to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or