U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:05 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,426,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I generally call people "ace" or "sparky" in casual conversation. If I really like someone, then it's "sizzlechest". My grandmother used to hate it when I called her that.
I can't rep you at this time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:48 PM

233 posts, read 281,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What term do you use to refer to people casually, if any? Also, where are you located in the US?

I use the term "boss" to refer to people casually. Like someone says "hello" to me and I reply with "what's up boss?" Or if I want to address someone, I say "hey boss, can you...". I am from Chicago and I find we say this a lot in this town.

I also used to say "dude" a lot when I was younger. Nowadays I find myself not using it. I don't know why, I just call everyone "boss" and the people around me do so, too. I admit I probably use this term more around males, but being that 100% of my friends are male, it probably has to do with that. I have at times referred to females as "boss", too. But I do find that people who use casual terms tend to save them for the same sex. Even when some guys call each other "baby" here. "What's up baby!"
Honestly all of these **** me the hell off when I hear them used. I like to respect people.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:17 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
Joe is so Chicago. I still use it from time to time.

Jack I feel is super Southern. I've never heard anyone in the Northeast or Midwest call someone Jack.
Back in the day, some New Yorkers used to call each other 'Mac'. As in, "Hey, Mac! You gonna move your car or what?"

Old 10-27-2014, 02:26 AM

626 posts, read 575,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
ahahaha

I know this is the US forum but across the massive ocean (not a ****ing pond!) we say the following

Boss - in urban settings
Bossman - Same as above
Fam - Same as above
Mate - EVERYWHERE LITERALLY.
Duck - Some random Northern England I think.
Love/Lovey
Pet - Northeast England down to Yorkshire
You forgot: sweetheart, son, bruv(urban) and governor(very rare nowadays though). Some American terms have been adopted too such as "dude" and "buddy".

Old 10-27-2014, 07:41 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,308,744 times
In Miami "bro" of "brahh" is pretty common.

Also, "dude" is widely used in addition to "guys"

Do ppl still say "dawg"? or "pimpin".... like "yo what up, pimpin?"

Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Joe is so Chicago. I still use it from time to time.

Jack I feel is super Southern. I've never heard anyone in the Northeast or Midwest call someone Jack.
I think the Washington area the only other area that used or uses "Jo" and "Mo"as extensively. I used to say it in kindergarten/ elementary school in the 90's. I thought it was a DC thing to tell you the truth.

Everything starts with "Aye" in front of it;

"Aye cuz"
"Aye cuzzo"
"Aye Jo/Mo"
"Aye Slim"
"Aye young"

or
"Whats the bizness"
"What it do"
"What they talkinbout"

Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Does the word "Dude" comes from California?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I think the Washington area the only other area that used or uses "Jo" and "Mo"as extensively. I used to say it in kindergarten/ elementary school in the 90's. I thought it was a DC thing to tell you the truth.

Everything starts with "Aye" in front of it;

"Aye cuz"
"Aye cuzzo"
"Aye Jo/Mo"
"Aye Slim"
"Aye young"

or
"Whats the bizness"
"What it do"
"What they talkinbout"
Moe takes on an entirely different meaning in Chicago.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
In Miami "bro" of "brahh" is pretty common.

Also, "dude" is widely used in addition to "guys"

Do ppl still say "dawg"? or "pimpin".... like "yo what up, pimpin?"
I was in the Kroger yesterday. I asked a guy where the Kroger brand crackers are. He said, "I don't work here big dog." Perhaps he worked for Wonder Bread?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:54 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Does the word "Dude" comes from California?
The word 'dude' actually came from New York in the 19th century and refered to fashionable city dwellers, and was used akin to words like 'fop' or 'dandy'. It was adopted by people in the western United States to refer to such folks (as in the term 'dude ranch'), but it died out in the 20th century only to resurface in California as youth slang from whence it spread like a virus as California youth trends tend to do.

Now, "tenderfoot" is not to be construed as the Western equivalent of that much evolved and more abused specimen of mankind, familiarly styled "dude." For even the Montana cowboy recognizes the latter. Not that he has ever seen the true prototype of a class that was erstwhile so numerous among us. But he is convinced that a person caught in the act of wearing a white linen collar, and who looks as though he might have recently shaved or washed his face, must be a dude, true and proper. ["Random Notes and Observations of a Trip through the Great Northwest," "The Medical Record," Oct. 20, 1883]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or