U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:47 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
"Yas"/"yous" around NYC.

I attribute it more with Italians around NYC but it could be more general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
in Upper Michigan, it used to be common to say "youse" if you're talking to more than one person. Otherwise, it's guys if more than one person, and the rest depends on the age of the person you're speaking to. I use 'dude' if I'm talking to an adult under 30, 'sweetie' if it's a kid, or 'sir/ma'am' if it's an older person.
Yup, it's an Upper Midwestern thing, so I'm sure it has little/nothing to do with Italians, at least here. Hit up any bar in the northwoods (especially WI/Upper MI) and someone will call your party "youse." It's the northern "y'all." But you hear it more often than not as "youse guice," and it's more a way to reconcile the plural pronoun issue we have than what this thread is about, as us2 mentioned.

I hear "boss" occasionally due to how close Chicago is, but it's not common anywhere in the state outside of where flatlanders settle/vacation/visit. Dude, man, bro (by bros or those making fun of bros), dog (occasionally), and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 01:12 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,847,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Yup, it's an Upper Midwestern thing, so I'm sure it has little/nothing to do with Italians, at least here. Hit up any bar in the northwoods (especially WI/Upper MI) and someone will call your party "youse." It's the northern "y'all." But you hear it more often than not as "youse guice," and it's more a way to reconcile the plural pronoun issue we have than what this thread is about, as us2 mentioned.

I hear "boss" occasionally due to how close Chicago is, but it's not common anywhere in the state outside of where flatlanders settle/vacation/visit. Dude, man, bro (by bros or those making fun of bros), dog (occasionally), and so on.
Must be Upper Midwest because youse is practically unheard of in Chicago. Youse guise even less.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:22 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Texas
  • "Dude" - probably the most common, used by people of ALL races, backgrounds, and even ages.
  • "Folks" - of course, this isn't restricted to Texas, but seems to fit like a glove, doesn't it?
  • "Fool" (or "foo") - mostly Mexican casual term.
  • "Bro" - common for urban youths, black, hispanic, and "wannabe's".
  • "Son" - Unlike New York and New Orleans, it's much more common to hear it from old white guys than urban youths. It's also more "dragged" when said.

And these terms don't refer to people, but they are also common things to hear while in Texas:
  • "fixin'" or "fixin' to" - to begin or be in the process of doing something
  • "Coke" - Mostly common to hear in rural areas, refers to ALL sodas/soft drinks. (How that's not confusing to them, I'll never know)
  • "Down the road" - when a Texan tells you that something is "just down the road", it could mean that the destination could be as close as a few blocks or far as 200 miles or more...
  • "Y'all" - ... duh.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:41 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
"Ahk" is a big one in Philly.

In DC, there's also "Lover" and "Big Baby."

In Baltimore, "yo" can actually be a noun ("I can't believe yo said that!").

Old 10-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Must be Upper Midwest because youse is practically unheard of in Chicago. Youse guise even less.
Yep - northern WI/Upper MI across the board, other regions of MN/WI/MI as well.

My favorite northwoods quote (there are dozens, but I'd have to voice most for them to "work") was when some dude walked up to a couple sisters, pointed back and forth, and said, "youse two look togedder in the face, hey."

Old 10-28-2014, 01:46 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
In Barbados, people say "wunna," which is the equivalent of y'all, you'se, or you guys here.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:54 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In Baltimore, "yo" can actually be a noun ("I can't believe yo said that!").
That's... different.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,958,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Texas
  • "Dude" - probably the most common, used by people of ALL races, backgrounds, and even ages.
  • "Folks" - of course, this isn't restricted to Texas, but seems to fit like a glove, doesn't it?
  • "Fool" (or "foo") - mostly Mexican casual term.
  • "Bro" - common for urban youths, black, hispanic, and "wannabe's".
  • "Son" - Unlike New York and New Orleans, it's much more common to hear it from old white guys than urban youths. It's also more "dragged" when said.

And these terms don't refer to people, but they are also common things to hear while in Texas:
  • "fixin'" or "fixin' to" - to begin or be in the process of doing something
  • "Coke" - Mostly common to hear in rural areas, refers to ALL sodas/soft drinks. (How that's not confusing to them, I'll never know)
  • "Down the road" - when a Texan tells you that something is "just down the road", it could mean that the destination could be as close as a few blocks or far as 200 miles or more...
  • "Y'all" - ... duh.
Ha!

The down the road one is used by my west indian grand-parents. They can be going 3 miles "down the road" lol

Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,847,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Yep - northern WI/Upper MI across the board, other regions of MN/WI/MI as well.

My favorite northwoods quote (there are dozens, but I'd have to voice most for them to "work") was when some dude walked up to a couple sisters, pointed back and forth, and said, "youse two look togedder in the face, hey."
I think NYC is closer to "yas" or "yehs" and I assume Upper Midwest closer to "yoos"?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I think NYC is closer to "yas" or "yehs" and I assume Upper Midwest closer to "yoos"?
Right, like how it's spelled - "you" plus plural. Like "use," either yooz or yoos pronounciations are common, depending on where you are in the region/who is speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or