U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 03:46 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,851,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I know multiple people from that area and they do not have it. Most of the people that have it seem to be from Minnesota, Michigan or Indiana.

Note that this is just to my ears. Other people will hear differently.
Huh? Indiana isn't even Upper Midwest! It's funny because most people I've met from Indiana sound either General American or semi-Southern (going to Indy and below). Anyway, people's perceptions are always going to vary. But I have a few examples for you that show the similarities between Minnesotan and Chicago. They are definitely there and numerous.

True Chicago accents are similar to Minnesota accents.

Here is a video of a native Minnesotan Lea Thompson

LEA THOMPSON - 52 - INTERVIEW 2 DAYS BEFORE HER 53rd BIRTHDAY - 2014 - YouTube

Here is a video of native Chicagoan Pat Quinn

Governor Pat Quinn TV Ad - "You Know Me" - YouTube

Their pronunciation of words is quite similar.

Here is another Minnesotan, Samantha Harris with a similar accent:

Smooth As Silk Samantha Harris EXCLUSIVE interview with Lauren Slater - YouTube

Yet another Minnesotan, Dustin Byfuglien

Hockey Tips: Dustin Byfuglien shares with ProTips4U his advice for success - YouTube

A native Chicagoan, Dennis Farina

Dennis Farina interview 1988 - YouTube

The differences between Minnesotan and Chicagoan are minimal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 03:51 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,197,377 times
My accent.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I know multiple people from that area and they do not have it. Most of the people that have it seem to be from Minnesota, Michigan or Indiana.

Note that this is just to my ears. Other people will hear differently.
Upper Midwest American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inland Northern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The characteristics of the Minnesotan accent are similar to Inland North American English. One of the things the Wiki article didn't mention is that the characteristic of Upper Midwest English sayings "come with" is also very common in Chicago. It apparently comes from phrases used in Swedish, Dutch, and German. On the Chicago origin I'm sure it comes from German as we have a lot of German-Americans here.

Quote:
In Chicago, like in other American cities that had lots of German-speaking immigrants, "with" can be used more frequently as a verbal complement. Thus, while most Americans might say "come with," Chicagoans can also say "take with" and "have with." Consider the following bit of dialogue from Chicagoan David Mamet's play "American Buffalo," reconstructed from my fallible memory:
Donny: (Talking about a gun) I don't want it with.
Teach: Well, I want it with.
In the 1996 film version, Donny's line sounds fine when delivered by Chicagoan Dennis Franz, but Angeleno Dustin Hoffman has trouble making Teach's line sound natural; he's clearly uncomfortable saying it.
Positive Anymore: The Chicago Dialect

Old 11-04-2014, 08:41 PM

3,300 posts, read 4,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What accents of the US do you find most attractive?

I am a sucker for girls with NYC accents. Same with New England. Some Southern accents are also sexy. Midwest is bleh as I am used to it. Western ones I find kind of annoying. You?
Any accent that is not a female NYC accent.. I had a tough Brooklyn grandmother... If you think a tough , mean , gritty accent sounds good on a woman, well to each their own!

If I had to choose , I would say women with Louisiana or Mississippi accents sound the sexiest. They still have some class and culture to their voices.. Any time a southern belle walks into the room here in the Northwest, she gets all the attention..

On the contrary, I find that guys with NYC accents sound real cool and many times I try to imitate the accents of my Jewish "New Yahhwwk" relatives. Something about that tough and gritty mafioso or macho East Coast guy image makes the NYC accents shine on a man.. Sadly, tough macho women are not as intriguing to most people or at least to me.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Any accent that is not a female NYC accent.. I had a tough Brooklyn grandmother... If you think a tough , mean , gritty accent sounds good on a woman, well to each their own!

If I had to choose , I would say women with Louisiana or Mississippi accents sound the sexiest. They still have some class and culture to their voices.. Any time a southern belle walks into the room here in the Northwest, she gets all the attention..

On the contrary, I find that guys with NYC accents sound real cool and many times I try to imitate the accents of my Jewish "New Yahhwwk" relatives. Something about that tough and gritty mafioso or macho East Coast guy image makes the NYC accents shine on a man.. Sadly, tough macho women are not as intriguing to most people or at least to me.
It only sounds mean to someone's ear if they perceive it as such. Besides, the tough NYC accent isn't based on pronunciation but on a certain bravado that comes with the mafioso attitude. Not everyone in NYC has that. You think people like Bernie Sanders or Billy Crystal sound mean? It's like the Chicago accent can sound jovial and friendly or if a scary person is using it, it can sound mean. You bring up Jewish people, and stereotypically New York Jews aren't seen as being mean or slightly threatening but their accent is definitely New York.

A woman can sound mean if her demeanor is that of being mean.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 11-05-2014 at 06:48 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 02:00 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,394,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It only sounds mean to someone's ear if they perceive it as such. Besides, the tough NYC accent isn't based on pronunciation but on a certain bravado that comes with the mafioso attitude. Not everyone in NYC has that. You think people like Bernie Sanders or Billy Crystal sound mean? It's like the Chicago accent can sound jovial and friendly or if a scary person is using it, it can sound mean. You bring up Jewish people, and stereotypically New York Jews aren't seen as being mean or slightly threatening but their accent is definitely New York.

A woman can sound mean if her demeanor is that of being mean.
Other than Judge Judy...? LOL jk

Old 11-07-2014, 01:05 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,163,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I can't stand the NJ accent.
Which New Jersey accent? The Northern New Jersey accent that sounds just like NYC? The Southern New Jersey accent that sounds just like Philly? Shouldn't you have included either NYC or Philly in your list? Do you even know what you are talking about? So many questions................

Old 11-07-2014, 04:46 PM

5,234 posts, read 3,642,696 times
Any American accent is fine with me, EXCEPT fast talkers. Can't stand them. I've told a lot of people, I can't hear that fast.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:14 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,462,313 times
Anyone with a vocal fry affect is annoying, no matter the region. I think people on the West coast have a pleasant tone. I grew up in NYC, not crazy over that regional accent.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Baltimore (yes, I went there) is SEXY. Women with Baltimore accents make me melt. So down to earth sounding and dare I say refined (like a British lite). I spoke to a woman on the phone from Baltimore (job interview) and her voice made her seem extra hot. I think I'm probably the ONLY person who appreciates the Bawlmer accent.

"Hey hon, yew want a sewda?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.