U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:23 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Yes, I realize Indiana is NOT the upper midwest. However, their accent is similar to the ones I've heard in Michigan and Minnesota.

In regards to the Chicago AREA accent, I am basing it on friends that I have from there. To my ear it sounds different than the others.

Again I will say, this is my perception and my opinion. Not sure why you're trying to prove me wrong.
Alright, well that's probably because Chicagoans don't elongate the "o" sound to where it sounds like an "awwwwww" nor do we sing-song every sentence. The Chicago accent is a little bit New York vowel-wise but with strong R's, little bit Minnesota but without long "o's".

Where are these Michiganders from that sound like Minnesotans? Same with Indiana. I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 04:18 PM

398 posts, read 1,163,272 times
I grew up in New England and used to find certain accents annoying. Now that I live in CO, I find that I miss all of them (even the annoying ones). I'm sure they'd annoy me if I had to live around them again, but the variety of accents around New England and New York certainly made life more interesting! I always used to hate Boston accents, but listening to the newscasts after the Boston bombing actually made me long to hear them again. I guess I liked having the variety!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:24 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,500,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
I grew up in New England and used to find certain accents annoying. Now that I live in CO, I find that I miss all of them (even the annoying ones). I'm sure they'd annoy me if I had to live around them again, but the variety of accents around New England and New York certainly made life more interesting! I always used to hate Boston accents, but listening to the newscasts after the Boston bombing actually made me long to hear them again. I guess I liked having the variety!
I grew up in New England as well and I used to enjoy southern accents when I heard them. Now that I live in Florida, I don't really enjoy them much. I'm moving in a couple of months and am taking my GF from Texas (neutral / southern accent) to New England. Now she can stop making fun of my accent

Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,330,169 times
Noo Yawk.

Sexy as hell!

Old 01-15-2015, 01:39 AM

7 posts, read 11,607 times
General American kinda sounds uncultured to me. I'd like to hear accents of women from new england, upper midwest, new york or the south but thats very rare on tv.

Last edited by Subzerochill098; 01-15-2015 at 02:09 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 07:10 AM

87 posts, read 68,780 times
All the accents of the East Coast appeal to me, from Maine on down to Florida! Love the coastal SC and GA accents, very interesting and unique to the US. Also have a special place in my heart for Maine accents, very salt of the earth sounding.

The accent I cant stand is the CA/West Coast accent where I can clearly hear the Rs being pronounced on every word and it takes me completely out of the conversation. I know this shouldnt be a bad thing, but hey, to each their own. It just sounds fake and pretentious to me.

But a working class coastal GA accent is just about the sexiest thing I have ever heard!!

Old 01-15-2015, 02:32 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Non-rhotic accents are sexy to me. The only exception I make is the White Baltimore accent (the Black one is non-rhotic somewhat). I like the way it sounds because they draw out their vowels and to me that sounds hot when women do that.

There was a list that said that the Mid-Atlantic dialects of Philly and Baltimore were the least sexy. I think Philly's accent can also be sexy, and I think when White women from Philly speak with a thick Philly accent it sounds a bit ditzy but it's a quirky kind of cute that I like.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,193,619 times
Accents don't really do anything for me. However, I find myself irritated more often than not by extremely thick accents (whether they're American or from other English-speaking countries).

The American accents I find especially irritating and unsexy are strong Northeastern accents (Bostonian/New England, New Jersey/New York/Long Island) and heavy Southern drawls. I have a low tolerance for thick Californian accents (all short As sound like Os), too.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:55 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Noo Yawk.

Sexy as hell!
Bronx girls got the sexiest NYC accent!

Old 01-19-2015, 04:07 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,881,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padajo View Post
All the accents of the East Coast appeal to me, from Maine on down to Florida! Love the coastal SC and GA accents, very interesting and unique to the US. Also have a special place in my heart for Maine accents, very salt of the earth sounding.

The accent I cant stand is the CA/West Coast accent where I can clearly hear the Rs being pronounced on every word and it takes me completely out of the conversation. I know this shouldnt be a bad thing, but hey, to each their own. It just sounds fake and pretentious to me.

But a working class coastal GA accent is just about the sexiest thing I have ever heard!!
First time I've heard this mention about West Coast/CA accents. Never noticed it myself...but, then again, I don't have much experience with Americans past the Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.