Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,855,884 times

Advertisements

Least sexy is Midwestern. While they are not all the same, they are equally unappealing.

Interestingly, they are not the most annoying. I reserve that for thick southern accents. Nails on a chalkboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 01:18 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Least sexy is Midwestern. While they are not all the same, they are equally unappealing.

Interestingly, they are not the most annoying. I reserve that for thick southern accents. Nails on a chalkboard.
Yeah MW accents, that of the Upper Midwest/Inland North/North Midland variety do all sound very bleh.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
First time I've heard this mention about West Coast/CA accents. Never noticed it myself...but, then again, I don't have much experience with Americans past the Mississippi.
I know what Padajo is referring to. It's a very strong rhoticity of the Western accent. I think it might have to do with some Spanish influence from Colonial Days. This is just a theory, though. I have no clue why Californians are more rhotic than most Americans. I definitely notice this even in Black speakers, who have it to a smaller degree if they speak in AAVE, but even then, California Blaccents (especially Southern California) do employ strong "r's" in words. One example of this is Ice Cube who says the word "car" like "cawrr". The AAVE of SoCal is partially rhotic, though. White Californians of SoCal tend to drag out the "r" sound more than Midwestern speakers (and we're strongly rhotic). Again, these are just my perceptions but I hear it, too.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:55 PM

215 posts, read 386,386 times
if a woman looks sexy or if she just IS sexy, then her accent is sexy (as if it matters?)

Old 02-19-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I know what Padajo is referring to. It's a very strong rhoticity of the Western accent. I think it might have to do with some Spanish influence from Colonial Days. This is just a theory, though. I have no clue why Californians are more rhotic than most Americans. I definitely notice this even in Black speakers, who have it to a smaller degree if they speak in AAVE, but even then, California Blaccents (especially Southern California) do employ strong "r's" in words. One example of this is Ice Cube who says the word "car" like "cawrr". The AAVE of SoCal is partially rhotic, though. White Californians of SoCal tend to drag out the "r" sound more than Midwestern speakers (and we're strongly rhotic). Again, these are just my perceptions but I hear it, too.
I promise neither Mid-westerners nor Californians are as Rhotic as people from the upper South or especially the Appalachian region

unless maybe some of the Cali thing is from Spanish, then I could be wrong about that. But when I hear people from Cali speak, they're typically not as rhotic as an Appalachian speaker

most people in the upper South have a mixture of speaking with non-rhotic (soft, not heavy like Boston) and heavily rhotic

comes from both English and Old Scots/Irish influences mixed together.

I've heard at least one older woman from Appalachia speak so heavily rhotic I could not understand a damn word she was saying.

I get what you're saying about Ice Cube though and how Black people from SoCal say it like that. Even I can tell that. I always thought that was a "ghetto-ism" though from SoCal or something (?)
not a true accent or true dialect/accent emphasis

O.G. double-O.G.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I reserve that for thick southern accents. Nails on a chalkboard.
I think you have that confused with thick Long Island or Boston accents

southern accents are soft. even the thicker ones

nothing like nails on a chalkboard or harsh.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,123,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Where are these Michiganders from that sound like Minnesotans? Same with Indiana. I'm just curious.
These Michiganders are in the Upper Peninsula (Houghton/Hancock area and Marquette). People who live in Sault Sainte Marie have more of a Canadian accent. People in the Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo metropolitan areas have an accent close to Chicago. And Metro Detroit has many different accents depending on the area. Downriver have southern, Oakland County has a mixture of generic midwestern accent (non-nasal) clean accent which I have, some have a closer accent to Canada, and some have a Chicago-like nasal accent.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
These Michiganders are in the Upper Peninsula (Houghton/Hancock area and Marquette). People who live in Sault Sainte Marie have more of a Canadian accent. People in the Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo metropolitan areas have an accent close to Chicago. And Metro Detroit has many different accents depending on the area. Downriver have southern, Oakland County has a mixture of generic midwestern accent (non-nasal) clean accent which I have, some have a closer accent to Canada, and some have a Chicago-like nasal accent.
Most linguistic maps place the lower peninsula in the inland North, the nasal Chicago accent region similar to Cleveland and Buffalo.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:41 AM

605 posts, read 798,598 times
New Orleans, please and thank you.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:18 PM

555 posts, read 855,438 times
Boston/New York/Philly

You might as well smear feces on your face. That voice is painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.