U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:45 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,429,484 times

Advertisements

No, not at all. I've been south, midwest, east coast, and New England, but didn't see any resemblance to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJdekc View Post
No beautiful young ladies walking around in bikinis around here in KS,
Said someone who has obviously never been to Perry Lake in the summer.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,870,764 times
I don't know about the California Vowel Shift thing, but I do notice a lot of native-breds from southern California and other parts of the southwest (AZ, NM, part of CO) seem to have their own southwestern twine. It's almost like a very watered down, faint Texan accent, but a little more nasal. Hard to explain, but I swear there is a southwestern accent for sure. When these folks travel to other parts of the country, they just sound like they are stoned or dumb.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:46 PM

338 posts, read 405,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Its like when you talk like thot, you know dyood? Todally fer shure like...
Thank Jesus I've never met anyone who talks like this

Old 02-05-2015, 01:45 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,484,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
Thank Jesus I've never met anyone who talks like this
That's only because you never starred in a 1980s after-school special. Jesus had nothing to do with it.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:24 AM

3,751 posts, read 2,565,983 times
Thankfully....no not at all.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:36 AM

668 posts, read 697,947 times
Quote:
It seems like California is the "template" for how America is becoming - more capitalist, more socially liberal, more Hispanic/less white, the legalization and acceptance of marijuana, the California Vowel Shift that young people everywhere speak with. Even the Internet started in California. It seems like the rest of America and even the rest of the world is essentially be turned into California due to the globalization of occidental values.

Hispanic is not a race

Old 02-05-2015, 07:56 AM

2,987 posts, read 2,141,849 times
Quote:
It seems like California is the "template" for how America is becoming - more capitalist, more socially liberal, more Hispanic/less white, the legalization and acceptance of marijuana, the California Vowel Shift that young people everywhere speak with. Even the Internet started in California. It seems like the rest of America and even the rest of the world is essentially be turned into California due to the globalization of occidental values.
Actually, I think the United States is becoming more like Texas.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:21 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,718,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I don't know about the California Vowel Shift thing, but I do notice a lot of native-breds from southern California and other parts of the southwest (AZ, NM, part of CO) seem to have their own southwestern twine. It's almost like a very watered down, faint Texan accent, but a little more nasal. Hard to explain, but I swear there is a southwestern accent for sure. When these folks travel to other parts of the country, they just sound like they are stoned or dumb.
This is definitely true. I think it's the "Okie" influence. It sounds a bit like a hybrid of a Texan and a Midwestern accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or