U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:00 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,036,187 times

Advertisements

Alright, just get over here. Get a gun, get a truck, drive up a mountain, sleep there, use an American flag for a blanket (thats all you need), kill an animal, make jerky out of its meat, get back to town (preferably Payson Arizona), buy some scratcher tickets and some Hostess Chocodiles, get diabetes, start taking insulin, drink too much coffee and drive aimlessly yelling at talk radio in your truck, then go home and cut the sleeves off every shirt you own. Then, you're home, F*** yeah America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 08:12 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,433,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Alright, just get over here. Get a gun, get a truck, drive up a mountain, sleep there, use an American flag for a blanket (thats all you need), kill an animal, make jerky out of its meat, get back to town (preferably Payson Arizona), buy some scratcher tickets and some Hostess Chocodiles, get diabetes, start taking insulin, drink too much coffee and drive aimlessly yelling at talk radio in your truck, then go home and cut the sleeves off every shirt you own. Then, you're home, F*** yeah America.
That pretty much sums it up right there.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,035,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele87 View Post
I would like to know if this map is accurate. If it is there are quite enough safe areas, but some like the area of the Four corners lack big towns. Chicago seems quite safe. And I don really consider floods that dangerous, so the tan areas are suitable, too. And I bet some Tornado alley areas are more safe than others. Tell me about the white, tan on white areas.
Statistically speaking, Detroit is the safest large city from natural disasters. Ironically, no one in America wants to live here.

https://homeownersinsurance.com/blog...ral-disasters/

Old 10-27-2014, 08:17 PM

1,021 posts, read 897,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
LOL!

Coming from a very conservative Asian country, with all the safety, the clean, the green, the vibrancy, the glitz and glamour, the job opportunities, the racial harmony etc...but I'm ready to moving to Phoenix this January! A place where kids can fire gun, no green, not clean, hurtful summer heat, racists as they say, the illegal drugs, the illegal immigrants...but the hell I f****n care. I am young and adventuruos. I want to experience the freedom, the privacy, the muscle cars, the big house, the pool blah blah blah.

Is USA for me? I don't know but I'm sick and tired of this freakin "disneyland" country and i'm ready for a big switch!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,433,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
A place where kids can fire gun, no green, not clean, hurtful summer heat, racists as they say, the illegal drugs, the illegal immigrants...but the hell I f****n care. I am young and adventuruos. I want to experience the freedom, the privacy, the muscle cars, the big house, the pool blah blah blah.
And this^ folks, is what the rest of the world thinks of us.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:29 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,036,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
LOL!

Coming from a very conservative Asian country, with all the safety, the clean, the green, the vibrancy, the glitz and glamour, the job opportunities, the racial harmony etc...but I'm ready to moving to Phoenix this January! A place where kids can fire gun, no green, not clean, hurtful summer heat, racists as they say, the illegal drugs, the illegal immigrants...but the hell I f****n care. I am young and adventuruos. I want to experience the freedom, the privacy, the muscle cars, the big house, the pool blah blah blah.

Is USA for me? I don't know but I'm sick and tired of this freakin "disneyland" country and i'm ready for a big switch!
I like muscle cars too. They're really groovy.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,581,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele87 View Post
I would like to know if this map is accurate. If it is there are quite enough safe areas, but some like the area of the Four corners lack big towns. Chicago seems quite safe. And I don really consider floods that dangerous, so the tan areas are suitable, too. And I bet some Tornado alley areas are more safe than others. Tell me about the white, tan on white areas.
I have lived in both the Tornado Alley and now live near Seattle in the high earthquake zone and I believe it is much safer to live in an earthquake zone. I think that map overstates the potential threat of earthquakes. I don't believe you will have to worry about another Pompeii out here. It could happen, but I think your fear of earthquakes here is too strong.
I did live in California and was in a 7.0 earthquake in 1989 near San Francisco. California is more of an earthquake zone than the northwest.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 AM

49 posts, read 60,361 times
For someone with history of panic attacks and anxiety earthquakes are the worst I think. At least for me. Fire? One can run away if lucky. Flood? One can hold on to a log or something and float. Tornado? Hide in the bunker and hope for it to pass quickly. But when the earth is shaking there is no escape. Last time I experienced it I had full-blown panic attacks for months afterwards.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 AM

6,854 posts, read 11,123,467 times
I think the map should have drought and wild fires added to it.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,280,536 times
I agree with the poster who said the map overstates the earthquake boundaries.

I would stay away from Chicago based on your initial post. To be honest, you are probably more likely to experience some kind of violence or crime in Chicago than experience a natural disaster anywhere in the US.

In reality, experiencing a natural disaster is a very rare thing... Not sure how they portray the US overseas, but it's not like Sim City where you are dropping Fires, Earthquakes and Tornadoes all the time.

To answer your question more specifically, I would not want to live in any of the white areas on the map.

South Texas? Insane heat and humidity.
Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio... Very rough winters with lots of snow... And do you really want to move all the way across the world to end up in Detroit? Ehhh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or