U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 AM

1,027 posts, read 901,199 times

Advertisements

Earthquake is fine as long as you don't live in a highrise building.

In fairness to LA and San Francisco, buildings aren't so high hence, higher chance to 1) withstand the earthquake 2) reduce damage on the ground upon earthquake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:20 AM

17,341 posts, read 19,609,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele87 View Post
I think the perfect total population size would be above 50,000 as anything below tends to get too boring for me, but daily life in large cities is too stressful so I would say no more than 1 million (not counting metro) I guess. Someone I know who was in the USA suggests I should look up New England considering my profile, interests, and outlook on life:

Straight, fairly liberal, somewhat hippy-ish without looking the part. I look somewhat ordinary, clean-cut, nerdy even yet Iīm not very much into computers (I love robotics and all that futuristic stuff, just not into computers or social media). Iīm like a part tree-hugger, part urbanite, part 70īs preppy all rolled into one lol. Never liked labels so itīs quite difficult to think of myself as one. However unlike many a tree-hugger I am not cynical and I hate sarcasm, I prefer people with positive outlook on life as I saw too much negativity in high school. Oh and I like cars, just not anything launched post-2005. Interested in Renaissance, Baroque and 70īs art and I like to collect vintage or vintage-looking stuff. I think I am right-brained.
I think you should look into Boston and the area around there. It does get pretty cold in the winter though. All of New England does.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:24 AM

11,766 posts, read 8,329,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
And this^ folks, is what the rest of the world thinks of us.
Apparently the OP does not.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:21 PM

49 posts, read 60,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think you should look into Boston and the area around there. It does get pretty cold in the winter though. All of New England does.
As cold as Sofia, Bulgaria?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:02 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,283,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele87 View Post
As cold as Sofia, Bulgaria?
Just looked... the coldest it has ever been in Sofia was -9 ... that's the coldest EVER lol... quite tropical.

It looks like the Summers are nearly identical... but the winters in Boston are definitely colder.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:14 PM

OK, so is there something with a similar climate to Sofia (as I lived there), either similar, same summer with milder winter, or colder summer, same winter. All three would be fine with me. There has to be, USA is huge!

And the sunshine graph if someoneīs interested:

Old 10-28-2014, 08:17 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,046,842 times
By that criteria, it limits you to areas that aren't purple. This map shows the average temperature for the coldest month of the year, January. Assuming you are asking for nothing colder than 25-30 degrees, the green and teal areas have the milder winters.

Climate Types

Cites like Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami (definitely), Houston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle would fall under this temperature range.

Likewise, the average temperature for the warmest month tends to be pretty favorable for most of the country outside of the mountainous areas.

Climate Types

Old 10-28-2014, 08:54 PM

Wha, it seems like Texas is not as hot as I thought it was during the summer. It is suitable then! I think I can get used to hot summers, if the winters are warm too. And I guess the air is dry in the west, no? I hate humid heat. The problem I had with Sofia was that the change between the seasons was too extreme for my liking and the humidity sometimes is too much despite not having any big rivers. I also dislike the rainy days here in the Netherlands, so sunny Texas sounds nice. No earthquakes, women talking with sexy (southern?) accents and I bet some places havenīt seen a tornado since ages. I also think the teal ones on the East coast would be good (too sleepy now to check the names, sorry itīs 3 AM here) Thanks for the maps, I appreciate them very much! Well it all comes down to the green card but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,283,520 times
Texas is one of the most humid states in America... AND hot.
Texas isn't really considered the west... But from Texas to Florida up to the Midwest, it is insanely sticky and humid. That whole triangle area is almost always damp.

So the only other mild winter places left are southwest and pacific coast.

Since California is most prone to earthquakes, that leaves the Southwest.

While the Southwest is dry with no humidity, it is very hot in the summer... But no earthquake risk.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 PM

Anyway, I will probably compromise... or I can just go with the flow and end up wherever life takes me. I get bored easily so moving a lot is my dream anyway and I get the feeling that you guys really do move a lot in the USA. While in most of Europe people live in the same areas for far too long. I only hope to get the green card!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or