Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:40 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,328 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, as you can tell from the title I'm looking to move out of the northeast. I'm from a working class family from Westchester County, NY and north Jersey. I'm a construction worker myself.

This is my checklist and really all I want in an area, I'm not picky about scenery or beaches but wouldn't complain either as I find beauty in places even like the plains. It's harder than I thought to narrow it down so I figured some of you would have more experience and know some things I don't about particular places. Forgive me for this sloppy post but I'm in kind of a hurry and wanted to get this up so I might get some replies when I get back.

-singles scene for a white 24-25 year old, working class male (prefer a city where I won't be looked down on by women because I'm a blue collar worker)
-affordable
-more conservative
-friendly people
-not an EXTREME obesity problem. I'm not looking for a barbie doll, I prefer a more natural look and I expect at least some basic "upkeep"

I've considered Dallas and Nashville and both are pretty high up there still as is Indianapolis. I'd prefer to stay away from the Mexican border. Houston is as close as I'm willing to get to it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-27-2014 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 03:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Sounds like Houston may be up youre alley. Its not what I would call a conservative city, but it fits with your other desires.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:15 PM

Thanks. Houston is one of my top choices. Seems like it would have the best dating scene. Plus I used to work on a lobster boat up north in Maine and being near the coast I assume they have a decent number of fishing jobs in Houston.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:27 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
If obesity is really a hot button for you scratch Houston and Dallas off the list. Both metros have an obesity rate around 28% (13th and 15th fattest for metros > 1,000,000).

Colorado Springs's obesity rate is 20.3%. It's a fairly conservative military town, population 440,000, only 45 mins from Denver if you need a nightlife fix.

Here's the well-being data if you're interested.

U.S. Community Well-Being Tracking

Old 10-27-2014, 06:06 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,205 times
How the heck did I get to farmers only dot com?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
How the heck did I get to farmers only dot com?
I just literally laughed out loud reading for a solid 2 minutes after reading this comment. Reputation points to you sir/madam!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:14 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I just literally laughed out loud reading for a solid 2 minutes after reading this comment. Reputation points to you sir/madam!
I wisecrack so much, my 62 year old dad still tells me, "Santa heard that!"

Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
I was going to recommend Colorado Springs as well. Check Phoenix too.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about the border too much.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 PM

Thanks. The only things holding me back from Colorado are the new gun laws and the pot. It's not so bad where I would cross it off my list but it seems to have attracted a few too many Californians these days for my taste. Granted it's been about 15 years since I've been there so I can't say for sure what the feel is like now. I don't really have much against pot being legal but the general crowd usually involved in all the 420 is a huge turn off for me.

Also I have a CCW. I'm not a "gun nut" but it's important to me to be able to carry concealed. I'm not a fighter and I'm not confrontational but I like to feel secure especially in areas where there's a lot going on and things can be unpredictable.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Thanks. The only things holding me back from Colorado are the new gun laws and the pot. It's not so bad where I would cross it off my list but it seems to have attracted a few too many Californians these days for my taste. Granted it's been about 15 years since I've been there so I can't say for sure what the feel is like now. I don't really have much against pot being legal but the general crowd usually involved in all the 420 is a huge turn off for me.

Also I have a CCW. I'm not a "gun nut" but it's important to me to be able to carry concealed. I'm not a fighter and I'm not confrontational but I like to feel secure especially in areas where there's a lot going on and things can be unpredictable.
Yeah, We The Californians, sure know how to ruin a place. And actually, the Colorado Springs I mentioned to you has a lot of them, however, they are probably more of the kind you're looking for (socially and fiscally conservative).

The gun laws don't apply to me, as I don't own guns, so I'm no help there. The pot laws don't apply to me either, as I don't smoke pot, but the MJ culture is unnecessarily huge here in Denver and I could understand how it could be a turn off. Much less of it in the Springs.

Maybe try Spokane/North Idaho. They have friendlier gun laws from what I understand (especially ID, they loves their guns there), the 420 will be in WA to an extent (but probably not as bad as Spokane is fairly moderate/sensible), but will be no-go in ID. North Idaho has tons of Californians, but they too are probably the kind you'd be more fine with (the anti-California Californians).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.