U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:03 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,829,223 times

Advertisements

The big cities in the Midwest are fairly porous, but the smaller ones are not. Those lacking plentiful employment for graduate-degrees tend to be boring. People are content to just live their parents lives and repeat the cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 04:31 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,462,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
The big cities in the Midwest are fairly porous, but the smaller ones are not. Those lacking plentiful employment for graduate-degrees tend to be boring. People are content to just live their parents lives and repeat the cycle.
My hometown in east central PA is as boring as any small town in the Midwest....... honestly...

Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 PM

378 posts, read 354,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I totally agree with this post.. amazing job and very accurate speaking in general terms I would agree with this 100 percent.. the South is getting even more diverse than the Midwest.. because so many people migrate to the South from the Midwest and Northeast because of weather and jobs.
That is funny that you are from Lexington. I just sold 2 houses here in Kalamazoo in the last year to people from Lexington - Both transplants.
One moved hear after they got a job. They love it.
The other had vacationed here for years and fell in love with the state, so when their old job downsized, they cashed the 401k and made the move. As for a job? With in a few weeks he had several offers and is now making 15k ($95k ) more starting out with a new company than he made at his old one in Kentucky. The only thing that would make him happier is if he could sell his house in Lexington. Its been 11 months and no good offers.
As you said, everyone is moving to the South, so could you help him out and get one of them to buy a house?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 PM

378 posts, read 354,733 times
For the record, I love Kentucky. I think that it is a very beautiful state filled with some wonderful people.......rednecks aside, but every state suffers that plague.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Will add this to THE MIDWEST ISN'T DIEING OR DIMINISHING in Stature VS the Sunbelt even if the Sunbelt cities have more population growth???
O'Hare regains world's busiest airport title | Early & Often

There you go CHICAGO'S O'Hare still can WIN over the Sunbelt Cities of ATLANTA and its expansive airport and
DALLAS/FORT WORTH and its sprawling Airport. Both had their day in the SUN.... pun intended??? Yet O'Hare did some Remodeling and Finally after years a New Runway and REGAINS ITS TITLE.

I would add Chicago's original Airport pre-1960 is still vibrant, looks great and clean. Just only handles the smaller jets. Midway airport.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM

812 posts, read 1,070,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas is not grouped with the Midwest for BLS rating purposes. It is grouped in the Mountain/Plains region that includes Missouri, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana.
Once again, you're incorrect. They included Kansas in their Midwest economy report: http://www.bls.gov/xg_shells/ro5xg02.htm

Old 11-04-2014, 02:21 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,523,567 times
Mid West population isn't going anywhere.

Interstate migration is way down. Traditionally, most movers have been young and helicopter parenting has gotten so bad, the young can barely cross the street anymore.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Mid West population isn't going anywhere.

Interstate migration is way down. Traditionally, most movers have been young and helicopter parenting has gotten so bad, the young can barely cross the street anymore.
Still not getting your point. ⤴ above? The Midwest is seen as more family closeness, conservative and wholesome, then the coast, but for it's Big Cities. ALSO, WHY WOULD THEY MOVE TO WEST-CENTRAL NY STATE like Syracuse???

MORE SNOW? NOT MILDER WINTERS? Seems you merely have some gripe with Midwesterners???
Besides? If they move, it is mostly South, West and Northwest, not East. Unless NYC might be their fancy?
I live in East-central PA. But did live in the Midwest a few years. I prefer it there still. Cleaner and going up and down and around mountains I don't fancy.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I feel this is an imbalanced perception based on the over played stigmas of this website. What on earth would make you entertain such an absurd notion for the displacement of 65million people, other than the need to drive conversation? If that's the case, then carry on, i'm sure the discussion will be entertaining in the least.

For all the patting on the back the coastal elitists seem to give themselves about being educated and enlightened, they have some of the most ignorant perceptions when it comes to what happens outside of their hipster laden bubbles.
Excellent post. Not only this website but the idiots of the Media who love to give hype to anything about a place perceived as popular as long as they can use the latest buzz words like "trendy" and "walkable" to attract attention of the viewers.

Smart people will always find the best places to live and those are not just the places that receive the greatest hype.

The Midwest is a great place to live. As Dorothy said to Glinda the Good Witch when she realized she belonged in Kansas rather than over the rainbow,

".......... if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard; because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with."

Old 11-05-2014, 11:39 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,523,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Still not getting your point. ⤴ above? The Midwest is seen as more family closeness, conservative and wholesome, then the coast, but for it's Big Cities. ALSO, WHY WOULD THEY MOVE TO WEST-CENTRAL NY STATE like Syracuse???

MORE SNOW? NOT MILDER WINTERS? Seems you merely have some gripe with Midwesterners???
Besides? If they move, it is mostly South, West and Northwest, not East. Unless NYC might be their fancy?
I live in East-central PA. But did live in the Midwest a few years. I prefer it there still. Cleaner and going up and down and around mountains I don't fancy.
I have nothing against the Midwest. I like the Midwest. I may head out to the Twin Cities next summer.

I'm just saying that less and less people are making big moves.

I don't know why anybody would move to Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or