U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,111 times

Advertisements

Hi - does anyone know of a route from atlanta, georgia to kansas city, mo that would avoid driving through the mountains

I'll be driving in december and would rather avoid any potential problems with steep grades and bad weather conditions

Thank you in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 AM

43,156 posts, read 41,752,473 times
You could drive to Birmingham, through Mississippi, up through Memphis and follow the Mississippi River valley, and skirt though the Ozarks to St. Louis. There is a big bluff as you approach Memphis on I-55, but it's better than driving over Monteagle near Chattanooga.

My bigger concern would be driving through southern states like MS and AL that don't deal as well with winter road conditions.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
Just go south a bit and around the Appalacians. For KC the Ozarks are pretty easy to avoid, but are they really much of a concern regardless? In general, they're only a few hundred feet over the "peaks" in MN/WI/MI no one's heard of/no one avoids, just big hills that aren't much of a hindrance on the highways.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:25 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,115 times
Is this a joke thread? There aren't any mountains between Atlanta and Kansas City. It's only rolling hills or rolling plains the entire way.

Sure, you could go out of your way to drive through the Appalachians, but those are generally north of Atlanta and there's no reason why you'd need to drive that direction.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:53 PM

43,156 posts, read 41,752,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Is this a joke thread? There aren't any mountains between Atlanta and Kansas City. It's only rolling hills or rolling plains the entire way.

Sure, you could go out of your way to drive through the Appalachians, but those are generally north of Atlanta and there's no reason why you'd need to drive that direction.
Have you actually made the drive??

Old 11-01-2014, 07:13 PM

153 posts, read 215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

Umm....you don't have to go out the way to drive through mountains going from Atlanta to Kansas City. You travel through the valley and ridge region, which isn't exactly"rolling hills" or "rolling plains". Have you driven that route before? And you do realize that you do NEED to drive north of Atlanta right?

Old 11-01-2014, 09:17 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,029,475 times
If you stay on the interstate, the grades aren't really steep. Although when I drove through northern Georgia/Tennessee a few winters ago, fog was one of the big concerns up in the higher elevations. Otherwise there's no need to avoid the mountains if you're going for the shortest route.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:39 AM

595 posts, read 300,744 times
Two routes you can take

Route 1
Take I-75 North to Chattanooga (Enter TN)
Exit onto I-24 West towards Nashville (Enter KY, IL)
Exit onto I-57 North
Take I-64 West to St.Louis
Merge with I-70 West (Enter MO)
Stay on I-70 West

Route 2
Take I-20 West to Birmingham (Enter AL)
Take I-65 North
Exit onto Daniel Payne Dr, turn left
Turn right onto Cherry Ave
Get onto I-22/US 78 West for Memphis (Enter MS, TN)
Turn left onto Shelby Drive
Get onto I-55 North (Enter AR)
Take I-40 West
Take I-49 North (Enter MO) Note: Due to Belle Vista Gap on I-49 in AR/MO use US 71 between the two highway sections.

If you are worried about winter weather route two stays further South longer, however, Arkansas's roads are bad and I-40 is under construction in several sections across AR.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 10,856,125 times
While not a "mountain" by most standards, Monteagle Mountain on I-24 between Chattanooga and Nashville can potentially be hazardous in bad weather. Coming from Atlanta, it's about 5 miles up, 4 miles down, a climb of about 1,300 ft and a descent of about 900 feet and some grades of around 5.5% on a curvy highway. Runaway truck ramps should be a reminder to both watch ahead and watch your rearview.

You won't see the kind of potential snow that can happen on I-40 through the Smokies....but since the elevation tops out at about 2,000 ft, the weather at the top can be different than the weather at the base. If there's a chance for snow/ice, I would not take that route.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:12 PM

24 posts, read 22,183 times
For those who said there are no mountains on the way from Atlanta to Kansas City: look at a topographic map! But anyways, no worries, you have a Roadgeek answering your question now

Alright, I'd say the best way to avoid the mountains is (though it may add some extra time):

* Take I-20 Westbound to Birmingham
* when you get to downtown Birmingham, right after you pass the I-65 interchange, get onto US 78 traveling northwest briefly to the future I-22 corridor (currently still US 78, but freeway grade)
* take future I-22 all the way to Memphis
* when in Memphis, future I-22 will turn into a surface road again, as US 78, then briefly drive to I-240
* get on I-240 and go Westbound until you're on I-55
* just stay on I-55 (in West Memphis you will briefly be on a multiplex with I-40) until you get to St. Louis
* in St. Louis, I'd then briefly take the I-270 beltway northwest to I-70
* then hop on I-70 west to Kansas City!

And there you have it. I hope I could help!!

~ David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or