U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 01:41 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,152,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta's more progressive than all of Florida's major cities; it's more educated, has more highly-regarded educational institutions, has a larger corporate base, rail-based transit, etc. Even in the tough spot it's in now, Atlanta still generally offers more opportunities than Florida's major cities.
They sure don't sound it with the accents they have there. And Atlanta's economy is in the toilet with no trend of climbing out of it. So don't give me that nonsense that there are more opportunities there. If you want to get sucked up into an unemployment cyclone then move to Atlanta.

The public schools in the metro are among the worst in the nation, and the best schools in the metro have a non-southern group of kids going to them (mostly in Gwinnet County).

It does not have more highly regarded higher educational institutions. It has older ones, yes, but not better, especially when it comes to public universities.

Atlanta is a disgusting dump. There is not a single thing that city has going for it that is good. Atlanta is in a category of its own when it comes to foulness, and certainly nothing that Florida's cities can be grouped with.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 10-30-2014 at 01:56 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 05:29 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,250,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How about music (jazz, blues, rock 'n roll, country), cuisine (Cajun/Creole, Lowcountry), beaches, etc. for starters?
Beaches are not particularly good in most of the South (best beaches in U.S. are in Florida, Hawaii, and California) and beaches aren't "created" by the South, they're an natural feature.

Beaches in Alabama tend to be mediocre, Mississippi and Louisiana downright poor, and decent in parts of Georgia and the Carolinas, but it's a mix.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I wouldn't say that Atlanta is more progressive than any of Florida's major cities. But from a fiscal prospective Florida tends to be a pretty conservative place. Socially though it is far more progressive than anywhere in the South.
Florida is generally more progressive than Atlanta or Charlotte.

I think this is the first time I have heard Atlanta and Charlotte described as "progressive".

They're majority Republican metro areas (and Republican in the South is different than Republican in the rest of the country). They have large Democrat blocs in the more urban sections, but that's just correlated with the huge black populations (and black neighborhoods, while Democrat, are generally not at all progressive; they're church-oriented, and generally quite conservative on social issues).

Old 10-30-2014, 05:44 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,812,057 times
Quote:
Not true. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas. All Southern states. No one would argue it.

People argue about places like Texas, Oklahoma, northern Kentucky, and northern Virginia. Places that straddle two different cultures. And I have never heard anyone on this board, including myself, say any of those places are "not Southern". It is time and time again that people say these places are a "mix".

The big nasty truth is that the South and "Southern" has a very negative connotation attached to it. Think of something great about America and you can bet your bottom dollar that it probably didn't come out of the American South. And most of the negative attributes about our country and its history are centered on Dixie. People not of that heritage don't want to be connected to that.

That being said, there are a lot of people moving to the South these days (Northerners and immigrants from abroad) who would probably like to find a middle ground with "Southerness". That middle ground is whats called a "mix".

As these things go the people living in parts of the South such as Texas and who aren't part of this change are going to reject it as much as they can.
Many people on city data do not believe northern Virginia is southern. You're the only person I've seen to say northern va is not southern. Besides it being below the Mason dixon line it lacks southern culture.

Last edited by Deluusions; 10-30-2014 at 05:54 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Many people on city data do not believe northern Virginia is southern. You're the only person I've say northern va is not southern. Besides it being below the Mason dixon line it lacks southern culture.
I think most people would agree that that part of VA within the DC metro area does not feel Southern, at all. It's generally considered part of the Northeast Corridor. it doesn't look or feel all that different from living in NYC suburbs, Boston suburbs or Philly suburbs.

Once you get to Richmond, it's a different story.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:52 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Beaches are not particularly good in most of the South (best beaches in U.S. are in Florida, Hawaii, and California) and beaches aren't "created" by the South, they're an natural feature.

Beaches in Alabama tend to be mediocre, Mississippi and Louisiana downright poor, and decent in parts of Georgia and the Carolinas, but it's a mix.

They're still alot better than northern beaches though (except for Mississippi and Louisiana beaches because of the delta), and this is coming from a proud northerner.

Last edited by CurlyFries; 10-30-2014 at 06:02 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 06:01 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,812,057 times
Quote:
I think most people would agree that that part of VA within the DC metro area does not feel Southern, at all. It's generally considered part of the Northeast Corridor. it doesn't look or feel all that different from living in NYC suburbs, Boston suburbs or Philly suburbs.

Once you get to Richmond, it's a different story.
Yeah, when you're in northern va there is a influx of Jews and Italians and Germans. You see a quite bit of New England style delis in places like vienna etc. I've always felt Northern Virginia reminded me of northern New Jersey. They are very alike....to say northern va is southern besides its architecture and history is absurd. Even in northern va they have New England style shingle homes. Also the natives never really had a strong accent such as tidewater did.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
They're still alot better than northern beaches though, and this is coming from a proud northerner.
I don't think so. Best beaches on the East Coast are in Florida. After that, I would go with Long Island, esp. the Hamptons and Fire Island.

Best beaches I have seen in the South would be Carolina Outer Banks, which, while good, are not as nice as the Hamptons.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:04 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,880,332 times
Quote:
They sure don't sound it with the accents they have there. And Atlanta's economy is in the toilet with no trend of climbing out of it. So don't give me that nonsense that there are more opportunities there. If you want to get sucked up into an unemployment cyclone then move to Atlanta.

The public schools in the metro are among the worst in the nation, and the best schools in the metro have a non-southern group of kids going to them (mostly in Gwinnet County).

It does not have more highly regarded higher educational institutions. It has older ones, yes, but not better, especially when it comes to public universities.

Atlanta is a disgusting dump. There is not a single thing that city has going for it that is good. Atlanta is in a category of its own when it comes to foulness, and certainly nothing that Florida's cities can be grouped with.

Hey Man, get some sleep, you're not making sense at 356 am.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM

29,936 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
I could argue each of these, but I see no point in doing so because they are such tiny and trivial things.
They disprove your point, which is why you don't see the point in arguing these things.

Quote:
They sure don't sound it with the accents they have there.
What bearing do accents have on educational attainment, pray tell?

Quote:
And Atlanta's economy is in the toilet with no trend of climbing out of it. So don't give me that nonsense that there are more opportunities there. If you want to get sucked up into an unemployment cyclone then move to Atlanta.
And yet and still, it does better than Florida. Very few college grads and mid-career professionals move to Florida, particularly Miami, compared to other large urban centers in the South in order to start and advance their careers.

Quote:
Do you have the data on where the kids or their parents are from who are attending the region's best public schools?

Quote:
Emory and Tech by themselves are hands-down better than any university in Florida. That's not even a debatable point.

Quote:
Great objective, unbiased opinion.

Quote:
I was mostly talking about Florida's beaches, but what does the "created" part have to do with anything? She/he said that practically nothing good in America is associated with the American South, which is pretty asinine.

Quote:
Florida is generally more progressive than Atlanta or Charlotte.
I'm using progressive in a general sense, not specifically in a political/ideological sense. I forgot a lot of folks here tend to automatically think the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or