Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to US: Ranger work, Forestry Service, national parks, career management assistance

Old 11-01-2006, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,344 times

Advertisements

Evening folks (well it's evening for me)

I am currently studying for a degree (Bsc) in Bioscience and Conservation here in the UK, however I am considering moving to the US, hopefully to work for the NPS.

I have extensive experience of Ranger work here in the UK,and assisted with the local FC (our equivalent Forestry Service) since I was 14. It has been a dream of mine to work in a National Park in the US ever since I studied the Glacier national park as a case study. I would be very interested in the possibility of becoming a US citizen and working as a Ranger in Law Enforcement within the parks, as I have done some Work Experience with the police, and have also done a lot of outdoor hiking/teamwork stuff. The job that NPS ranger do seems to embody everything I love doing-working outdoors and also enforcing the law and serving the public, whereas the Ranger service in the UK can be a frustrating job in that we have no actual power to enforce the law in national parks.

Anyway, main question: are there are good suggestions about what to consider doing and when, I know I need to be a US citizen to work full time for the NPS, but would it be an idea to get more experience in the UK after university and before moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 04:27 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,971,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestryboy23 View Post
Evening folks (well it's evening for me)

I am currently studying for a degree (Bsc) in Bioscience and Conservation here in the UK, however I am considering moving to the US, hopefully to work for the NPS.

I have extensive experience of Ranger work here in the UK,and assisted with the local FC (our equivalent Forestry Service) since I was 14. It has been a dream of mine to work in a National Park in the US ever since I studied the Glacier national park as a case study. I would be very interested in the possibility of becoming a US citizen and working as a Ranger in Law Enforcement within the parks, as I have done some Work Experience with the police, and have also done a lot of outdoor hiking/teamwork stuff. The job that NPS ranger do seems to embody everything I love doing-working outdoors and also enforcing the law and serving the public, whereas the Ranger service in the UK can be a frustrating job in that we have no actual power to enforce the law in national parks.

Anyway, main question: are there are good suggestions about what to consider doing and when, I know I need to be a US citizen to work full time for the NPS, but would it be an idea to get more experience in the UK after university and before moving?
What a cool goal! I looked up the National Park Service to get an overview. They have all kinds of employment opportunities, specific direction and career management assistance, and they welcome all kinds of academic backgrounds. I did notice that to join the NPS requires American citizenship and there are possible age limitations depending on the specific job.
Maybe one of the best things to do is contact the NPS directly and tell them what you want to do. Maybe you can volunteer for a stint too? One thing I also noticed is that for all the schooling and study you have to undergo, the pay is pittling... Because it's a government job, I'll bet the benefits are wonderful as the NPS is run by the Department of the Interior I think. Anyway, great goal and good luck!
http://www.nps.gov/personnel/rangers.htm

Old 11-01-2006, 04:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,228,220 times
We call them "Greenies" here. lol. I don't know but I'm sure your heart is in the right place loving the outdoors but from my experiences visiting and living near National Parks Lands, the people don't look upon the Park Rangers too fondly mostly because of their excessive cop authority attitudes and excessive Rules and Regulations. It's considered a dangerous job for the pay.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 32,811 times
You could move to Alaska. The Park Rangers are all power hungry, so they're pretty strict about all the laws. Most people up here don't like the Rangers though. The people are pretty independent. It's also really cold in the winter, which starts in early October, and ends late April. But the summers are AMAZING. 24 hour sunshine is wonderful. You could always check it out.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,344 times
Thanks a load for the help guys-I've emailed a couple of people in the NPS to see if a summer internship would be possible, as i have a bit of time free between the end of the last semester and the start of harvest, so I'll hope to go then.

Cheers

Old 11-02-2006, 04:37 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,751,129 times
I checked U.S. Immigration law maybe a year or two ago and found that to become a Citizen, you must be living in the U.S. for a continuous period of either 3 or 5 years. (I don't remember) You must also have a continous legal residence in a particular state for certain percentage of that period (equal to something that's definitely more than half of the 3 or 5 years)

It seems quite a hassle. Also it's a bummer that you must be a citizen for that job. I've heard of that condition several times. At times, when I've heard about those requirements it has seemed the only reason citizenship is required for certain types of employment is to keep people like you and I out, Forestryboy23. It's probably not quite that bad.

Anyways, if you have patience and/or a nice chunk of cash maybe you could quite comfortably live and work part-time for the Forestry for however many years necessary to get your citizenship. I just thought you'd appreciate a heads-up on the weird immigration (or citizenship) laws.

By the way do you have any favorite parks in mind?

I have a few, but most of them I've only heard of them, not actually been there; Great Smokies, Cape Hatteras, Cape Lookout, Congaree National Monument (Last old-growth forest in the East?), White Sands, South Padre Island, Florida Keys, Grand Canyon, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Monument Valley, Great Salt Lake Desert (has Bonneville Speedway/Salt Flats nearby)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-02-2006 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.