U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 3,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Without looking at previous responses: Minneapolis.
Does it match all criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I don't think it really doesn't match anything you said.

It's one of the whitest larger metro area in the US, it has four seasons, NFL, MLB, and NHL teams, a lot of bars rather than clubs since it's traditionally working class, it's one of the cheapest places to live in the country and PA in general is one of the most if not the most conservative northeastern states as well. I think it would be a nice area to raise a family. All those beautiful rolling hills and I like places like Pittsburgh that aren't so transient since these areas are usually much more community oriented and it gives you more of an opportunity to make good lifelong friends in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Yeah I can't think of anything that it doesn't match. Like someone else said, the city is majority white, with conservative mindset socially, but has some liberal minded views when it comes to personal liberties. Pittsburgh is no doubt a pro sports town, with arguably the best NFL atmosphere in the country, as well as NHL and MLB fan bases that create energy. The city is truly unique in its layout, and has a very nice urban fabric in its interior. No where else in the US are you going to get the hill aspect in a major city like Pittsburgh has. The city has all four seasons, and has a beautiful fall season. Cost of living is low as well compared to other cities its size!

Plus the city is modern, but very historical. Has awesome architecture. And has lots of recreation and great restaurants!
Pittsburgh's suburbs don't look very appealing or what I am looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Cincinnati may be another city to look into. Perhaps Indianapolis too. Buffalo is close, but has a couple of things that knock it down on the list.
What knocks Buffalo down? Cincinnati seems good - care to elaborate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFGRN View Post
Seattle?
Too liberal and wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Kansas City, St.Louis, Indianapolis, Charlotte

Old 10-31-2014, 12:52 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,830,230 times
I would say it really depends on your job. If you are a physician or something like that with the freedom to live relativity anywhere, then the world is yours.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:20 PM

1,229 posts, read 973,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrrM View Post
Does it match all criteria?

Pittsburgh's suburbs don't look very appealing or what I am looking for

What knocks Buffalo down? Cincinnati seems good - care to elaborate!

Too liberal and wet.
Buffalo is in NY and New York City turns NY into a blue state. If it wasn't for NYC, NY would be a conservative state and Buffalo would suit your criteria better. NY has high taxes and it's very hard to get a CCW compared to other states though some areas of the state it isn't too bad. But if you're trying to escape California's politics it doesn't make sense to run to possibly the most corrupt state in the country. They will come up with a thousand ways to rob you in NY easy.

What are you looking for in a suburb? Look at South Fayette and Cecil and the other towns around Mt Lebanon and Bethel Park which is only 25 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. Also look into Cranberry Township which is also only about 25 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh.

Cincinnati isn't a bad choice either but I personally like PA better than Ohio. PA is more scenic and has more history. Pittsburgh also has the better sports environment in my opinion. The Steelers alone beat the entire Cincinnati pro sports fan base I think. Then you have the Penguins and a beautiful baseball stadium like PNC Park. Cincy doesn't even have an NHL team.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-31-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,708,064 times
Atlanta
Philly

Old 10-31-2014, 06:41 PM
chh

418 posts, read 495,252 times
Grand Rapids, Michigan, fits pretty much all of these.
It's a pretty traditional big city, really nice suburban areas. I can say confidently all the schools in the area are really good. It doesn't have a Major league team, all of the Michigan major leauge sports teams are in Detroit. It does have professional minor league teams, though. It's predominately white, and has long been a stronghold for the Republican party, although I'd say it's moderately republican, so not too religious. Mild weather, has all 4 seasons. It does sometimes get that lake effect snow though, so maybe a little more snow then you'd like. Summers are warm and humid, but not oppressively humid. All in all it's a pretty great place. It's a really good place to raise a family, lots of stuff to do there.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:29 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
since it's traditionally working class, it's one of the cheapest places to live in the country and PA in general is one of the most if not the most conservative northeastern states as well.
Your information is 5 years old. Pittsburgh is trendy, expensive, and very pro-Democrat.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:01 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFGRN View Post
Seattle?
That's what popped into my head. Indie music, somewhat liberal, coffee shops, gigs. Seattle is a cool idea. Pittsburgh was also a cool idea I liked from a previous poster. How about Austin, Texas? Go to a college town, if nothing else. There's always something interesting going on.

College towns I've been to that I enjoy a lot:

Davis, CA
Bozeman, MT
Missoula, MT
Austin, TX
Ann Arbor, MI
Cincinnati, OH (UC)
Kent, OH
Pittsburgh, PA (Duqesne)
Moscow, ID

You know what town I loved a lot? Boise, ID. That's just a cool little place. I like places with a nice little downtown with shops, some restaurants, and often times off the beaten path a little.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:06 AM

1,229 posts, read 973,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Your information is 5 years old. Pittsburgh is trendy, expensive, and very pro-Democrat.
Pittsburgh like many US cities did become a little more white collar but it is still a traditionally working class town and it isn't expensive. Homes that sell for 100K in Pittsburgh would go for 400k in New York, New England or CA. There's a difference between democrat and liberal as well. Pittsburgh votes democrat because there is a non white voting trend in cities plus the old school democrat union vote. It isn't liberal. The surrounding area and western PA in general isn't blue. Didn't only 1 county in western PA out of maybe 20 go for Obama in 2012 and that one blue county was Allegheny County which Pittsburgh is located in. Here are the results from Allegheny County and you can see that it's pretty much the City of Pittsburgh that turns Allegheny County blue. Most suburbs are red and the OP wants to live in the suburbs.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 11-01-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 01:50 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
No one is buying houses in Pittsburgh for a reason. That is one reason why the rents have skyrocketed and sales are not increasing.

I am leaving the city. Taxes and COL are up and I'm not blowing my money on only sub-par services and infrastructure.

From what it sounds like, you don't even live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or