U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 3,353 times

Advertisements

About me: I'm sick of living in California and want to move somewhere different. I am in my mid-twenties, male and single. I am a conservative but rather left-wing on certain policies (e.g. pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, I am irreligious). I am looking to date women and my type is a tall, curvy blonde who has respect for herself (i.e. not into casual sex) and isn't a party animal. My interests include music and sports. I am a big NFL fan and love indie rock and alternative rock music. The opportunity to go to lots of gigs would be great. In terms of my personality I am quite introverted but do like to have a small circle of friends I can hang out with. I hate clubbing and would rather go to a bar (dive bars are cool) or a coffee shop on a Friday night then a drum and bass, sex fest nightclub.

What I want from the city: I would like to live in a large city that has like-minded people on the whole. I hate bros and bro culture so would like to avoid those types. I like cities that are traditional and urban. I would prefer the cost of living to be low and by my thirties I hope to start a family and own my own house with a garden. I would like to spend my twenties in an apartment but by my thirties branch out to a house. I would like the city to have some major league sports teams. I would like to be in a predominantly white city (I like diversity but wouldn't like a city where blacks outnumber whites). I would prefer to be in an area that isn't overtly religious but is conservative. Weather-wise; I like mild weather but enjoy four seasons - so snow in winter, humid in summer. Hate humidity 24/7 though.

Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 10:39 AM

10,433 posts, read 12,439,655 times
Pittsburgh

Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Pittsburgh
Any specific reasoning?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:35 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,867,788 times
I agree with Pittsburgh. Pretty much meets your criteria and is a nice city!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,454,663 times
Without looking at previous responses: Minneapolis.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I agree with Pittsburgh. Pretty much meets your criteria and is a nice city!
Thanks for your advice! Any criteria it doesn't match? Some are more important than others

Old 10-30-2014, 05:38 PM

1,239 posts, read 978,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrrM View Post
Thanks for your advice! Any criteria it doesn't match? Some are more important than others
I don't think it really doesn't match anything you said.

It's one of the whitest larger metro area in the US, it has four seasons, NFL, MLB, and NHL teams, a lot of bars rather than clubs since it's traditionally working class, it's one of the cheapest places to live in the country and PA in general is one of the most if not the most conservative northeastern states as well. I think it would be a nice area to raise a family. All those beautiful rolling hills and I like places like Pittsburgh that aren't so transient since these areas are usually much more community oriented and it gives you more of an opportunity to make good lifelong friends in the area.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:45 PM

56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Cincinnati may be another city to look into. Perhaps Indianapolis too. Buffalo is close, but has a couple of things that knock it down on the list.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:12 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,867,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrrM View Post
Yeah I can't think of anything that it doesn't match. Like someone else said, the city is majority white, with conservative mindset socially, but has some liberal minded views when it comes to personal liberties. Pittsburgh is no doubt a pro sports town, with arguably the best NFL atmosphere in the country, as well as NHL and MLB fan bases that create energy. The city is truly unique in its layout, and has a very nice urban fabric in its interior. No where else in the US are you going to get the hill aspect in a major city like Pittsburgh has. The city has all four seasons, and has a beautiful fall season. Cost of living is low as well compared to other cities its size!

Plus the city is modern, but very historical. Has awesome architecture. And has lots of recreation and great restaurants!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 10,813 times
Seattle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or