U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 05:45 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,843,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I know it gets crazy cold there. However I've always liked most of the people I met from there.
Someone from Las Vegas doesn't have a handle on what "crazy" cold is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You guys please don't argue the climatological differences between to adjacent states Someone from Atlanta doesn't care if it's 25 degrees in Grand Rapids, or 23 degress in Milwaukee. They still can't drive in the snow.
Well if snow driving is an issue (and in the MItten it always will be), they should take public transportation or work close to home so they can walk there.

Ah who am I kidding they will freeze to death.

But I'll take Michigan's brutal snow over the South's humidity.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:49 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,448,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You guys please don't argue the climatological differences between to adjacent states Someone from Atlanta doesn't care if it's 25 degrees in Grand Rapids, or 23 degress in Milwaukee. They still can't drive in the snow.
I actually learned a little something from Cheese Plate on this thread. I did not realize that the averages are almost identical on each side of Lake Michigan. So my bubble has burst somewhat on how much "warmer" Michigan is than Wisconsin. I do still think the difference can be very big under certain weather patterns, though, like the map I posted.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I actually learned a little something from Cheese Plate on this thread. I did not realize that the averages are almost identical on each side of Lake Michigan. So my bubble has burst somewhat on how much "warmer" Michigan is than Wisconsin. I do still think the difference can be very big under certain weather patterns, though, like the map I posted.
It might be a Michigander thing to say this, but every person from W. Michigan I've met always talks about how much more brutal Chicago's winters are than Michigan's. I always reply with "but...you get like 3x the snow..." and they reply with "yeah but it's so pretty! You guys are just COLD!"

Old 11-05-2014, 06:00 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,490,733 times
I never thought the snow was pretty when I lived there. I used to listen to a song called "Buried Alive" over and over during the winter.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:06 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,448,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It might be a Michigander thing to say this, but every person from W. Michigan I've met always talks about how much more brutal Chicago's winters are than Michigan's. I always reply with "but...you get like 3x the snow..." and they reply with "yeah but it's so pretty! You guys are just COLD!"
Yeah, count me as one of those people. There is just something about that wind between the buildings in the loop. I have never had my face hurt so much as I have walking around Chicago in January.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,421,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Well if snow driving is an issue (and in the MItten it always will be), they should take public transportation or work close to home so they can walk there.

Ah who am I kidding they will freeze to death.

But I'll take Michigan's brutal snow over the South's humidity.
And bugs!

Oh, and cheese plate, if you're reading this, I just want you to know that every time I read your S/N I get the urge to run to the fridge and grab a chunk of Swiss or cheddar. If I gain weight over this winter, you will be personally responsible.

Last edited by canudigit; 11-05-2014 at 06:37 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Yeah, count me as one of those people. There is just something about that wind between the buildings in the loop. I have never had my face hurt so much as I have walking around Chicago in January.
See I don't mind the cold. It's tons of snow that causes inconvenience in life and makes it hard to drive. Yeah I own an AWD but other people can be idiots.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:56 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
And bugs!

Oh, and cheese plate, if you're reading this, I just want you to know that every time I read your S/N I get the urge to run to the fridge and grab a chunk of Swiss or cheddar. If I gain weight over this winter, you will be personally responsible.
I'm glad I'm positively affecting the world by arguing minutiae on a ridiculous forum

Speaking of, why were people complaining about "Pure Michigan" a page back? Talk about a marketing home run! We paid over a mill for some idiots to come up with "Wisconsin: Live Like You Mean it," which was immediately ridiculed and quickly pulled, sans dough we paid to the "geniuses" who came up with it.

Yes, Michiganders: We have sandy beaches throughout our Lake Michigan coastline; we get lake effect snow; we're a top cherry producer and have orchards throughout the eastern shore; the lake moderates temperatures here just like in Michigan.

And we want the UP! You can have, uh, our governor or something. And some cheese.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:52 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,490,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I'm glad I'm positively affecting the world by arguing minutiae on a ridiculous forum

Speaking of, why were people complaining about "Pure Michigan" a page back? Talk about a marketing home run! We paid over a mill for some idiots to come up with "Wisconsin: Live Like You Mean it," which was immediately ridiculed and quickly pulled, sans dough we paid to the "geniuses" who came up with it.

Yes, Michiganders: We have sandy beaches throughout our Lake Michigan coastline; we get lake effect snow; we're a top cherry producer and have orchards throughout the eastern shore; the lake moderates temperatures here just like in Michigan.

And we want the UP! You can have, uh, our governor or something. And some cheese.
Tim Allens voice drives me nuts lol. You should look up some of the Pure Michigan parodies on Youtube some of them are dumb but some are really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or