U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 11:32 PM

20,855 posts, read 35,976,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwoodsux View Post
Having the pleasure of saying I'm not from Michigan, I feel I can def. give an outsiders opinion on the state. I've lived in the Lansing area. And that was enjoyable for the most part. Lots to do, places to go, places to eat, malls etc.

Then I relocated to " da up". All I can say is this place sucks !
I have the great joy ( eye roll ) of being in ironwood. Ironwood is one huge DUMP.
The houses are run down, the stores( the very few they have) are run down. The parks are disgusting. The equipment is old , so old. The people for the most part are nasty, rude, ill mannered and utterly underhanded sneaks that all know each other. Which makes getting anywhere ( a job, a house , anything a total JOKE. I fully suspect inbreeding!
Should have done a bit more research. Iron Mountain is quite a bit nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:17 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,472 times
I'm a Texan who the closest I've ever been to Michigan was the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN. I'm aware of the hard times in Detroit (and even in the state that has seen a population decline) but am optimistic in hoping that Detroit will turn around and return to prominence.

But I generally hate all of Detroit's sports teams, except the Lions.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:09 PM

43 posts, read 59,503 times
Traverse City is always interesting to see since the bands that come from that area have always been good.

Must be a counterpoint because eh, Michigan kind of seemed way too cold and Detroit is just too sad and scary to really not mention in regards to the state.

After working with a girl who was from Detroit earlier this year who quit, the attitude is just too much honestly. 0_0

Old 05-04-2015, 08:16 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,388,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I'm a Texan who the closest I've ever been to Michigan was the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN. I'm aware of the hard times in Detroit (and even in the state that has seen a population decline) but am optimistic in hoping that Detroit will turn around and return to prominence.

7% of Michigan's population lives in the city of Detroit though, for the most part the other 93% of the population lives in very different circumstances.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:31 AM

3,963 posts, read 3,498,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post

It is unfortunate that in a state covering 90k+ sq mi in area that the 145 sq mi that make up the city of Detroit dominate the impressions of people who have never been there.

Michigan has spectacular natural beauty and other great cities that are NOT Detroit. But as stated above, for the majority of people who aren't familiar with it, Michigan=Detroit=Michigan.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:55 AM

264 posts, read 205,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
It is unfortunate that in a state covering 90k+ sq mi in area that the 145 sq mi that make up the city of Detroit dominate the impressions of people who have never been there.

Michigan has spectacular natural beauty and other great cities that are NOT Detroit. But as stated above, for the majority of people who aren't familiar with it, Michigan=Detroit=Michigan.
Speaking as someone who has never even been to the states, let alone Michigan, i think i can hazard a guess for most Britons, even if they knew of the state, that on hearing the name Michigan, the first things that might spring to mind are Detroit, crime, ghettos and abandoned wastelands, Motown and cars.

I'd never even heard of the UP until a few years ago when reading about the writer, Bill Bryson's astonishment on finding Cornish pasties as the local delicacy there.
That perception is grossly unfair, of course, but entirely understandable seeing as all of us, whether we like it or not form our superficial perceptions of any place on the neccesarily shallow coverage from whatever news coverage we have available.

Whats the first thing that springs to mind in your heads when you read the name of my homeland, 'Northern Ireland'?
I bet its not thousands of square miles of rolling countryside dotted with large lakes and steep low mountains.Or empty beach strands running for miles.Or 18 hours of summer daylight (daylight not sunlight)

Since reading that bit in Bryson's book ive always wondered what the vast majority of rural Michigan is like. It seems to me almost disregarded by geography and mindset. Marooned between two giant lakes on each side and Canada and the urban wreckage of Detroit at either end. Out of sight and out of mind. Id love to visit.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 AM

5,688 posts, read 3,655,932 times
My impression had always been Michigan = Detroit. But when I got married, I acquired a new brother-in-law and family, who live near Grand Rapids. And so, I finally visited the state for the first time. Was I ever in for a shock! In that and subsequent visits, I've come to love the scenic beauty and the genuine friendliness of the Michigan that I have become acquainted with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonNI View Post
Whats the first thing that springs to mind in your heads when you read the name of my homeland, 'Northern Ireland'?
I bet its not thousands of square miles of rolling countryside dotted with large lakes and steep low mountains.Or empty beach strands running for miles.Or 18 hours of summer daylight (daylight not sunlight)
The Troubles! Well, that and the Harland and Wolff Shipyards in Belfast (builders of the Titanic).

Old 05-04-2015, 10:56 AM

3,963 posts, read 3,498,160 times
Quote:
Speaking as someone who has never even been to the states, let alone Michigan, i think i can hazard a guess for most Britons, even if they knew of the state, that on hearing the name Michigan, the first things that might spring to mind are Detroit, crime, ghettos and abandoned wastelands, Motown and cars.

I'd never even heard of the UP until a few years ago when reading about the writer, Bill Bryson's astonishment on finding Cornish pasties as the local delicacy there.
That perception is grossly unfair, of course, but entirely understandable seeing as all of us, whether we like it or not form our superficial perceptions of any place on the neccesarily shallow coverage from whatever news coverage we have available.

Since reading that bit in Bryson's book ive always wondered what the vast majority of rural Michigan is like. It seems to me almost disregarded by geography and mindset. Marooned between two giant lakes on each side and Canada and the urban wreckage of Detroit at either end. Out of sight and out of mind. Id love to visit.
It is understandable that impression is out there. It's very visible in media and pop culture. Detroit is an anomaly of sorts as even its suburbs are opposite the city. The upper peninsula is beautiful but so is the lower peninsula. There are cities like the ones along the i-75 corridor that have come to represent Michigan's struggles. There are other cities like Grand Rapids, Ann arbor and Traverse, that often surprise people quite a bit. Like the poster above, who went into Michigan with preconceived ideas of it.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:39 AM

20,855 posts, read 35,976,422 times
Quote:

The UP is basically the US version of Scandinavia, but at a far lower latitude and with greater amounts of snow.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,197,643 times
I've always had a favorable impression of Michigan, personally. I think of it as another pleasant Upper Midwestern state, akin to Wisconsin and Minnesota. Lots of beautiful lake beaches and idyllic scenery. For some reason, despite Michigan having several cities/metros that are down on their luck at the moment, I don't really factor that into my perception of the state at all.

All that being said, most Americans have a cartoonized, media-influenced perception of most places, so it's no surprise most people just associate it all with Detroit. I find it sad that so many people are ignorant, but I guess you can't make people care about geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or