U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,512,703 times

Advertisements

Fast divers, great Polish food, camping, cherry pie, hot dogs, urban decay, crazy Dutch Reformed people, euchre, snow, the DIA, Madonna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 06:11 PM

3,077 posts, read 5,450,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Don't ask for an outsider opinion if you don't want it. (no southern accent here.)
I didn't start the thread. I'm just swooping in to squash the misconceptions. Sort of like a City Data superhero.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:26 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,687,151 times
I visited Michigan 37 years ago. Detroit to be exact. I liked it; people were generally friendly. Of course that was then. I had no problems there. Was in late Novermber (thanksgiving holidays) and I had a good time. Always wanted to go back and see more of Michigan. I like Michigan and Wisconsin and Ohio. And I'm from the South.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:26 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Virtually no Muslims outside of the larger metro areas in SE Michigan, right to work state, and our taxes are much lower than those in the Mid-Atlantic and New England states and, of course, California.
:
The lower taxes also corresponds to much lower incomes in most areas of the state (particularly central and northern Michigan) that have certainly not benefited from much in the way of new job growth in years with the exception of a few places. Therefore, some COL indicators like housing prices, local taxes, etc are "frozen in time" due to little inherent demand or in-migration of people from the outside. The metro areas are a bit different (suburban counties of Detroit, parts of western Michigan) with more population and increased migration flows between areas.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:55 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,493,210 times
Isn't it normally the case that the rural areas have lower incomes than the urban areas?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:17 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Isn't it normally the case that the rural areas have lower incomes than the urban areas?
In Michigan it is even more pronounced with the suburban Detroit counties like Oakland and Livingston having more than double the median household income compared to many rural counties. Most rural Michigan counties have large retiree populations with out-migration of working age populations across the board with few exceptions.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:34 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,818 times
My perception of Michigan is that it's like a Midwestern Maine, great place for an "Up North" vacation,.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:45 PM

40 posts, read 72,240 times
I have lived in Michigan for over 30 years, never was over joyed with it but it sure has a lot to offer. Lakes, forests, parks, beautiful fall colors, Mackinaw Fudge, Better Made Chips, Red Wings, Kid Rock, Puncki's, pasties, Da Yoopers - really, who else has all of this? I moved away for a few years due to the economy and really had no desire to ever come back because of the negative comments people would say to me when I told them I was from MI. Ewwweee, I would never live there because of Detroit, you don't live in DETROIT, do YOU???. Unfortunately I did have to move back due to the economy and have never been so miserable. My so called friends and family in other states told me they would never visit me because I live in Detroit even though my mailing address is not Detroit. Yes, I live in a suburb that has been slimmed with the Detroit crud crawl but that change sure wasn't my choice. Unfortunately that's where my long time residence is. And, by the way, they have all stuck to their statements, not one will visit me and it's been a few years now. I send pictures of Campus Martius, breath taking fall pictures within 3 to 8 miles of my house, pictures of the multimillion dollar houses in Detroit and surrounding areas and all I get is - that's nice. When I say the entire Detroit area isn't like the media portrays it, there are beautiful homes and areas here, they say where? They just don't believe me and that's their loss. Then they always come back to what they saw or heard from the media. When I say I don't live in an area like the media portrays they say - we know, we know- we pray every day for your safety. The media has pounded the trashed out houses, burned out neighborhoods, crime, corruption, bankruptcy, anything negative into outsiders heads to the point they have tunnel vision and won't see, refuse to see the beauty and amenities Michigan, not Detroit, has to offer. Detroit is not Michigan, it's a city in the state, just like crummy Saginaw and Flint and they don't even get the bad rap Detroit gets. I'm certainly not sticking up for Detroit after how I've been treated from it's reputation. I agree there are some really scary places here just like any place else. Where I live is not safe anymore. I don't want to be here but I'm stuck. Crime is rampant in Detroit and now reaching out to the suburbs. It's also pretty bad in Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, so why does the media portray us as the worst? So this is what I've experienced from outsiders perception of Michigan.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:06 PM

160 posts, read 214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by followthegold View Post
I have lived in Michigan for over 30 years, never was over joyed with it but it sure has a lot to offer. Lakes, forests, parks, beautiful fall colors, Mackinaw Fudge, Better Made Chips, Red Wings, Kid Rock, Puncki's, pasties, Da Yoopers - really, who else has all of this? I moved away for a few years due to the economy and really had no desire to ever come back because of the negative comments people would say to me when I told them I was from MI. Ewwweee, I would never live there because of Detroit, you don't live in DETROIT, do YOU???. Unfortunately I did have to move back due to the economy and have never been so miserable. My so called friends and family in other states told me they would never visit me because I live in Detroit even though my mailing address is not Detroit. Yes, I live in a suburb that has been slimmed with the Detroit crud crawl but that change sure wasn't my choice. Unfortunately that's where my long time residence is. And, by the way, they have all stuck to their statements, not one will visit me and it's been a few years now. I send pictures of Campus Martius, breath taking fall pictures within 3 to 8 miles of my house, pictures of the multimillion dollar houses in Detroit and surrounding areas and all I get is - that's nice. When I say the entire Detroit area isn't like the media portrays it, there are beautiful homes and areas here, they say where? They just don't believe me and that's their loss. Then they always come back to what they saw or heard from the media. When I say I don't live in an area like the media portrays they say - we know, we know- we pray every day for your safety. The media has pounded the trashed out houses, burned out neighborhoods, crime, corruption, bankruptcy, anything negative into outsiders heads to the point they have tunnel vision and won't see, refuse to see the beauty and amenities Michigan, not Detroit, has to offer. Detroit is not Michigan, it's a city in the state, just like crummy Saginaw and Flint and they don't even get the bad rap Detroit gets. I'm certainly not sticking up for Detroit after how I've been treated from it's reputation. I agree there are some really scary places here just like any place else. Where I live is not safe anymore. I don't want to be here but I'm stuck. Crime is rampant in Detroit and now reaching out to the suburbs. It's also pretty bad in Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, so why does the media portray us as the worst? So this is what I've experienced from outsiders perception of Michigan.
That's unfortunate. I live in an inner suburb (Royal Oak) and work in downtown Detroit. Really enjoy living around here and thoroughly enjoy working downtown. Actually am hoping to move downtown in the spring.

I definitely wish Michigan had true mountains, but there are some really pretty areas throughout the state.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:35 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
That's unfortunate. I live in an inner suburb (Royal Oak) and work in downtown Detroit. Really enjoy living around here and thoroughly enjoy working downtown. Actually am hoping to move downtown in the spring.

I definitely wish Michigan had true mountains, but there are some really pretty areas throughout the state.

Porcupine Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unless you want purple snow capped mountains like the Rockies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or