U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:49 AM

4,347 posts, read 7,423,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Oops buddy, this isn't the thread about your wife. How embarassing!

Well, it isn't "hands-down the most beautiful state in the Midwest," but it is definitely beautiful in the UP and some areas of the mitt.

Agreed, hard to separate MN/WI/MI, the 3 most beautiful of the Midwestern states, and its own distinct subregion of the Midwest. For some of us, it isn't "brutally cold," but for some desert dwellers, 115 is a pleasant summer day. Hey, it's a dry heat.

I'm in the UP quite a bit (including last weekend), hard not to love the northwoods. Porkies, Trap Hills, Keweenaw and Huron Mtns are some of my favorite Midwestern destinations. Lake Superior shore has my second favorite Midwestern scenery next to the Driftless. I think anyone who has never been to the above spots would be blown away by it, regardless of where they hailed. Unspoiled nature unfolds for miles and miles and miles. Lakes everywhere, trout streams, giant hills, rock formations, the enormous Lake Superior sea, beaches....Moose, elk, wolves, bear, deer, cougar, coyotes, animals everywhere, and so on.
And to think, we gained the UP in exchange for Toledo, Ohio:

The Toledo War
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
And to think, we gained the UP in exchange for Toledo, Ohio:

The Toledo War
I know man, it's Wisconsin's hat and it's filled with Packer fans!

The funniest part about that "war" is when they accidentally marched right past each other and decided to say screw it and make a deal. UP's natural resources fueled Detroit's auto boom the same way it probably would have fueled Cleveland (or elsewhere in OH), Chicago or Milwaukee, so it was definitely an important "get" for Michigan. Economically, you could say that it's an iron yoke at this point, but it wins on intangibles (beauty, peace, and so on) for sure. I love it there.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:10 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,449,582 times
Quote:
I know man, it's Wisconsin's hat and it's filled with Packer fans!

The funniest part about that "war" is when they accidentally marched right past each other and decided to say screw it and make a deal. UP's natural resources fueled Detroit's auto boom the same way it probably would have fueled Cleveland (or elsewhere in OH), Chicago or Milwaukee, so it was definitely an important "get" for Michigan. Economically, you could say that it's an iron yoke at this point, but it wins on intangibles (beauty, peace, and so on) for sure. I love it there.
That is so true about the Packer Fans in the U.P. The Yoopers will cheer for the Tigers and Red Wings, but their NFL team is the Packers without a doubt. Can I really blame them? My life as a Lions fan has been mostly torture. I think the east side of the U.P. is probably Lions territory, but there's not a lot of people there in general.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM

85 posts, read 84,588 times
When I think of Michigan, I think of the legendary d
"Dog man".

Old 11-03-2014, 12:17 PM

302 posts, read 591,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
That is so true about the Packer Fans in the U.P. The Yoopers will cheer for the Tigers and Red Wings, but their NFL team is the Packers without a doubt. Can I really blame them? My life as a Lions fan has been mostly torture. I think the east side of the U.P. is probably Lions territory, but there's not a lot of people there in general.
There are more Lions fans in the Eastern UP, but Packers fans are well represented as well.
The Geography of NFL Fandom - The Atlantic

Old 11-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Well, that's at least 3/4 of the population, and probably a good bit more than that - there's not much east of Hiawatha! It only makes sense that there would be more Packer fans than Lions fans in the UP, since it is literally attached/a part of the WI northwoods, they share geography/culture, and Green Bay is only 40 minutes from the UP while Detroit is a 4 1/2 hour slog (Copper Harbor, MI is about a 10 hour drive from Detroit!), and so on.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:29 PM

98 posts, read 87,649 times
not saying its right but heres what i think of.

first i think detroit=dangerous, black, abandoned, will get killed if i go

(side note, i had a layover at detroit airport 2 weeks ago, saw mainly white people, we joked that probably they were all leaving for good lol)

then i think of very outdoorsy, rugged, foresty upper michigan.

and Home Improvement tv show.

appealing in that its close to canada, i kind of like that

but again, never been to MI except for that layover so this is just based on what ive heard

Old 11-03-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Well, that's at least 3/4 of the population, and probably a good bit more than that - there's not much east of Hiawatha!
Well, it might only be a quarter of the Peninsula's population, but the Eastern Half does have the UP's second most populous town , Sault Ste. Marie, and it's second most populous county, Chippewa. It isn't completely empty out here, at least by Upper Peninsula standards.
Sault Ste. Marie is about an equal driving distance from Detroit and Green Bay, and I'd say it's a lot more connected to lower Michigan then Wisconsin. There is a great deal of connection to Canada as well, of course.

I have some family in Ironwood, MI, out in the far Western side. They tend to view Duluth, MN as the big town close to them, and make frequent trips there.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaproblem39 View Post
not saying its right but heres what i think of.

first i think detroit=dangerous, black, abandoned, will get killed if i go

(side note, i had a layover at detroit airport 2 weeks ago, saw mainly white people, we joked that probably they were all leaving for good lol)

then i think of very outdoorsy, rugged, foresty upper michigan.

and Home Improvement tv show.

appealing in that its close to canada, i kind of like that

but again, never been to MI except for that layover so this is just based on what ive heard
The Detroit Airport isn't even IN Detroit, but rather the suburb of Romulus, MI.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
Well, it might only be a quarter of the Peninsula's population, but the Eastern Half does have the UP's second most populous town , Sault Ste. Marie, and it's second most populous county, Chippewa. It isn't completely empty out here, at least by Upper Peninsula standards.
Sault Ste. Marie is about an equal driving distance from Detroit and Green Bay, and I'd say it's a lot more connected to lower Michigan then Wisconsin. There is a great deal of connection to Canada as well, of course.

I have some family in Ironwood, MI, out in the far Western side. They tend to view Duluth, MN as the big town close to them, and make frequent trips there.
Right, there's one city on that side of the peninsula, and it's right up there next to Canada. Marquette is by far the biggest city in the UP, and it's linked up with Green Bay, not Duluth. Certainly a few towns on the far western reaches of the UP hit up Duluth, which is closer, but for most of the central UP, it's Green Bay.

I'm not sure why you bristle so much at this - you live in the city that's the exception to the rule. In general, the majority of the UP population are Packer fans who go shopping in Green Bay and Appleton. There are exceptions, certainly, but that's just the way it is for a good chunk of the population there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or