U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 09:14 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,992,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
That could be almost any of the major metros in the US. And it will come down to the individual person, one person may find happiness and success in a given city as a single person but, another single person in the same city may not experience that. Atlanta could be the hottest place for single people in the south but not necessarily do anything for single people from nyc or Chicago. I guess whatever city you find happiness and success as a single person, for some single person that could be Nashville or boston.

Good points. I'm from Chicago and lived in Atlanta many years. Atlanta just didn't do it for me. I'm now in the Dallas area and I like it better than Atlanta for specific reasons, but it's still not what I'm looking for in the long run as a single person.

Chicago is calling me home, but still I'm open to other places outside of the south. The south in general just isn't for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 AM

8,546 posts, read 5,369,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Good points. I'm from Chicago and lived in Atlanta many years. Atlanta just didn't do it for me. I'm now in the Dallas area and I like it better than Atlanta for specific reasons, but it's still not what I'm looking for in the long run as a single person.

Chicago is calling me home, but still I'm open to other places outside of the south. The south in general just isn't for me.
You left a really great city in my opinion, I lived there for five years and had nothing but great experiences there. I'm from a small southern city but I absolutely love Chicago and chicagoland. It is a really beautiful city with a beautiful lakefront, just too cold in the winter though.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:47 PM

3,293 posts, read 4,047,951 times
Quote:

If your goal is to stay single, just look for one night flings, etc, Seattle would be great for you as a woman. A benefit for most women here, feminism runs pretty strong in the Northwest and many women in Seattle are career/independent types who don't want to be bogged down with long-term relationships, kids, etc. E.g., In Seattle there are more dogs per household on average than children. Most women here enjoy being single and girls night outings are pretty popular. You will almost never see single girls by themselves at a bar in Seattle, they always come in big groups. The same will be said for younger guys, as they generally will be in groups as well. Also, Seattle has a very low rate of married couples and a very high rate of live-in couples.

Essentially, being in a place like Dallas or a Midwestern city where people are expect to settle down and marry by 20 or 30 would prove to be a great impediment on the social life of a single person wanting to find others who have free time to go out and do fun activities. It seems most married people settle down and it destroys their ability to have social life, especially when you have to work longer hours to support kids, a larger home, etc.

This is one reason I didn't like a city like Boise, as many people will marry right out of high school or college and divorce later after they have 4 kids. Boise State U for example has the highest number of married college students in the country, I was told. It may have something to do with a slightly higher age bracket, but still they state most people in their mid 20s are married there.

I am an older bachelor myself and have also given up on thoughts of marriage, so a city with lot of young single professionals or just more outgoing types who don't hunker down in their home watching TV all night would be more desirable for me as well.

If I had the money to live in Seattle/Bellevue, perhaps I would consider it, although it is a bit too uber-liberal for my tastes, YMMV.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,849,365 times
Probably New York City or Seattle.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:42 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,992,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
If your goal is to stay single, just look for one night flings, etc, Seattle would be great for you as a woman.
I'm not looking to stay single or for casual sex. While I'm not out pounding the pavement looking for a man, I am open to meeting someone and do so organically/naturally.

Quote:
A benefit for most women here, feminism runs pretty strong in the Northwest and many women in Seattle are career/independent types who don't want to be bogged down with long-term relationships, kids, etc. E.g., In Seattle there are more dogs per household on average than children. Most women here enjoy being single and girls night outings are pretty popular. You will almost never see single girls by themselves at a bar in Seattle, they always come in big groups. The same will be said for younger guys, as they generally will be in groups as well. Also, Seattle has a very low rate of married couples and a very high rate of live-in couples.
It's kind of tricky for me. I'm not a feminist. I am middle-the-of-the-road when it comes to that sort of thing. I don't claim to be a feminist at all. I'm also not career obsessed and I'm annoyed by people who are. I'm hard-working but I don't want to self-defined by what I do for my job. While education and working are important to me, at the end of the day a job is what you do to pay your rent and bills. Though I work a job I'm an artist and I'm more into people's likes and interests outside of their jobs. I'd much rather talk with someone about our hobbies/creative pursuits than work. Work stuff is boring. It seems a lot of people want something that makes them feel important. For a lot of them it's their jobs. I'm not that kind of person though.

I'm also not into girls' night out activities at this point in my life. I'm interested in doing activities that also involve men. I'm not looking to dance in a circle with a big group of women at a nightclub lol. I'm open to an LTR, but I'm not sweating it either way. I'd like to be someplace where there's lots of activity for singles. If I meet a man in the process, that would be a bonus.

Quote:
Essentially, being in a place like Dallas or a Midwestern city where people are expect to settle down and marry by 20 or 30 would prove to be a great impediment on the social life of a single person wanting to find others who have free time to go out and do fun activities. It seems most married people settle down and it destroys their ability to have social life, especially when you have to work longer hours to support kids, a larger home, etc.

This is one reason I didn't like a city like Boise, as many people will marry right out of high school or college and divorce later after they have 4 kids. Boise State U for example has the highest number of married college students in the country, I was told. It may have something to do with a slightly higher age bracket, but still they state most people in their mid 20s are married there.

I am an older bachelor myself and have also given up on thoughts of marriage, so a city with lot of young single professionals or just more outgoing types who don't hunker down in their home watching TV all night would be more desirable for me as well.

If I had the money to live in Seattle/Bellevue, perhaps I would consider it, although it is a bit too uber-liberal for my tastes, YMMV.
I like Dallas a lot but it's too couples-centric, religious and conservative for me. I'm a non-Christian liberal so that doesn't work for me. It seems that regardless of age, whether younger or older here, almost everyone is in a relationship, so I feel left out. And again, I'm at a place in my life where I don't want to be around a bunch of other single women all the time either.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:18 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,024,246 times
Dallas proper is a lot less conservative than "the Dallas area" or "DFW." The nearby suburbs of Dallas are quite stereotypical conservative, family oriented bastions.

Women tend to be drawn to the East Coast, but there are far more men west of the Mississippi. If you want to find an environment full of activities with all sorts of people and not be relegated to girls night outings, I'd go west.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:36 AM

3,293 posts, read 4,047,951 times
Quote:
I'm not looking to stay single or for casual sex. While I'm not out pounding the pavement looking for a man, I am open to meeting someone and do so organically/naturally.

It's kind of tricky for me. I'm not a feminist. I am middle-the-of-the-road when it comes to that sort of thing. I don't claim to be a feminist at all. I'm also not career obsessed and I'm annoyed by people who are. I'm hard-working but I don't want to self-defined by what I do for my job. While education and working are important to me, at the end of the day a job is what you do to pay your rent and bills. Though I work a job I'm an artist and I'm more into people's likes and interests outside of their jobs. I'd much rather talk with someone about our hobbies/creative pursuits than work. Work stuff is boring. It seems a lot of people want something that makes them feel important. For a lot of them it's their jobs. I'm not that kind of person though.

I'm also not into girls' night out activities at this point in my life. I'm interested in doing activities that also involve men. I'm not looking to dance in a circle with a big group of women at a nightclub lol. I'm open to an LTR, but I'm not sweating it either way. I'd like to be someplace where there's lots of activity for singles. If I meet a man in the process, that would be a bonus.

I like Dallas a lot but it's too couples-centric, religious and conservative for me. I'm a non-Christian liberal so that doesn't work for me. It seems that regardless of age, whether younger or older here, almost everyone is in a relationship, so I feel left out. And again, I'm at a place in my life where I don't want to be around a bunch of other single women all the time either.
I think I understand what you are saying.. There are plenty of guys in Seattle wanting a relationship too. However, it isn't the center focus of your life to be married and have a huge family as it is in other cities in the country.

If you are a non-Christian liberal artist, I think you would enjoy Seattle or Portland. I'm pretty conservative and right of center, but considering I am unmarried, non-Christian (I'm Jewish) in my 30s, I find that I feel pretty ostracized and left in the cold living in cities where you are suppose to be married, go to church and have children to play with the neighbor's kids, etc by the time you hit 30. Living in Boise and many smaller towns of the Northwest has made it clear that there is no social life at all for a person like me, unless I grew up in the particular town and knew everyone since I was young. Anyhow, I know, despite being bit too conservative for most Seattlites, my only chance for any type of social life and friendships would be within the Seattle area. The city is pretty liberal, but being a bit city, it doesn't attract people from all walks of life. For you, it almost sounds like paradise .

Anyway, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Chicago, New YOrk, etc sound like the type of cities you want to live. Come to think of it, you may like Portland much more than Seattle. It has better nightlife and is more artsy.. The city has grown a lot, too much actually, and it's not the big small town it use to be when I live there. However, it still is, overall, much friendlier city than Seattle, but not as cosmopolitan.

I'm an Oregonian and do miss Oregon and Portland. Oregon is an interesting mix of people, although Portland seems to be cohesive to what you describe of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or