U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:24 AM

5,962 posts, read 6,573,784 times

Advertisements

Do people see Chicago linked to the northeast corridor and the pacific coast? I'm trying (desperately) to avoid the offensive term "flyover country", but two areas of the nation, the northeast corridor from Boston to DC and the Pacific Coastal zone, particularly LA/Bay area and arguably on up to Seattle have been linked by their blue politics, culturally transcending the US in their more global orientation.

Chicago, being the global city of the nation's interior has so much in common with the commonalities that the northeast and the Pacific coast share, may be seen in a different light.

Do Americans in different parts of the nation see Chicago linked with the northeast and Pacific coast and thus not really that (ugh! I hate this term) "flyover country"?

note: I am totally opposed to looking at this as better than/worse than. I make no assertion that the coasts are better than the interior. nor am i at all suggesting that Chicago isn't comfortable with its midwestern roots and rightfully so. I'm just asking how places align and if Chicago is seen in alignment with the northeast and the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 12:02 PM
chh

418 posts, read 497,328 times
No, not at all. At least, from someone within 3 hours driving distance, I think of it as distinctly midwestern.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:25 PM

239 posts, read 278,820 times
Chicago is substantially closer to the Northeast corridor but I can't think of ANYONE who would think that Chicago was at all aligned with either coast.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:30 PM

5,962 posts, read 6,573,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
Chicago is substantially closer to the Northeast corridor but I can't think of ANYONE who would think that Chicago was at all aligned with either coast.
as the OP, I actually do think the alignment is real. and i didn't suggest that it was aligned separately with either the northeast or the pacific coast. What I did say is that the things that seem to join those two regions together apply to Chicago which, IMHO, seems to operate in very much like them.

again, it is only an opinion, but I do think one can make an argument for it.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:52 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,511,056 times
I don't see it aligned with either coast. It is the Midwest and its own city.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:49 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,570,666 times
Default Most enlightened

I view Chicago, like its blue regions on both coasts, as the most enlightened region of the Midwest. I don't know where in the hell this "flyover" nonsense came from.

All three of these regions of the country have in common that they are the most enlightened parts of the entire country. That's the link.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:16 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,130,444 times
I see Chicago as the Midwest, and not the Pacific and the Northeast. That's just ridiculous, in my opinion. According to the definition of "flyover country", Illinois does meet the criteria. I don't personally see it as a "flyover" state.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:35 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,045,301 times
"Flyover" is a bull**** term.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:53 AM

596 posts, read 679,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Do people see Chicago linked to the northeast corridor and the pacific coast? I'm trying (desperately) to avoid the offensive term "flyover country", but two areas of the nation, the northeast corridor from Boston to DC and the Pacific Coastal zone, particularly LA/Bay area and arguably on up to Seattle have been linked by their blue politics, culturally transcending the US in their more global orientation.

Chicago, being the global city of the nation's interior has so much in common with the commonalities that the northeast and the Pacific coast share, may be seen in a different light.

Do Americans in different parts of the nation see Chicago linked with the northeast and Pacific coast and thus not really that (ugh! I hate this term) "flyover country"?

note: I am totally opposed to looking at this as better than/worse than. I make no assertion that the coasts are better than the interior. nor am i at all suggesting that Chicago isn't comfortable with its midwestern roots and rightfully so. I'm just asking how places align and if Chicago is seen in alignment with the northeast and the west coast.
And yet, you keep using the term.

As to your question, no, Chicago is part of the midwest. The midwest is great. There is no reason to try and attach Chicago to the east or west.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,409,805 times
Chicago is very much Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or