Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:08 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
For the love of GOD stop with the marijuana generalizations. The economy is by far and away the #1 reason why Denver's hopping right now. I'm trying to have sympathy for you, but you make it really hard with all your rants about pot.
You know as well as I do that Denver was a fly over city until marijuana put it on the radar. Yeah, the economy is good there, but the good economy isn't what is bringing in broke young people by the thousands piling out of vans to over saturate the lower end rental market. Marijuana is what is doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:14 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You know as well as I do that Denver was a fly over city until marijuana put it on the radar. Yeah, the economy is good there, but the good economy isn't what is bringing in broke young people by the thousands piling out of vans to over saturate the lower end rental market. Marijuana is what is doing that.
Give it up already. You didn't do your due diligence and ended up moving to a place you don't wanna be and can't afford. That's on YOU. I've tried being civil with you but your act has become overbearing. The stoners aren't driving rents up here. We've already proven that over and over again for you, yet you wanna project your lack of planning on the dope smokers. If pot bothers you that much LEAVE. Otherwise stop with the "woe is me" BS and make some frickin lemonade.

The population of the Front Range has been growing since the late 80s/early 90s...LONG before pot was even as issue.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:22 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Give it up already. You didn't do your due diligence and ended up moving to a place you don't wanna be and can't afford. That's on YOU. I've tried being civil with you but your act has become overbearing. The stoners aren't driving rents up here. We've already proven that over and over again for you, yet you wanna project your lack of planning on the dope smokers. If pot bothers you that much LEAVE. Otherwise stop with the "woe is me" BS and make some frickin lemonade.
This isn't a woe is me. I am warning others before they too become victims. And yes, it is 1000% what is driving up rents here. I have never seen so many pot smokers in life compared to the two months that I experienced in Denver. Countless of whom are moving in groups with their friends.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:52 PM

235 posts, read 331,491 times
I'm about 2 years older than the OP, also gay and have lived in Portland and have visited Chicago and Denver.

Portland and Denver are pretty similar in my mind. For those two I guess it depends on what you want from the city. Portland is more hipster. Denver probably has better white collar jobs if that matters to you. Both have good bicycling and transit. Portland has better neighborhoods in terms of older neighborhoods where you can walk to bars and restaurants. Both have similar COL. Portland has better weekend trips in my opinion. Both have similarly sized gay populations but i'd venture to say Denver's is larger since it's the biggest city in the part of the US whereas Portland shares the PNW with Seattle. Denver has better weather out of all the cities.

I might consider deciding between Portland/Denver or Chicago since Portland and Denver are much more similar. Chicago has a much larger gay population, much more extensive transit, grand downtown and urban amenities (parks, museums, concerts). Lots of neighborhoods to chose from and it's not that much more expensive than the other cities. Weekend trips aren't as appealing as Portland's in my opinion but it would be fun to explore that part of the country if you haven't before. Weather is definitely worse in the winter but with almost 10 million people in the Chicago metro do it so i imagine it's doable. Summer is also warmer and the fall and spring probably includes days with weather both better and worse than Portland's.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
How is Denver smaller than Portland? They are both at about 600,000 in the city limits, and the Denver metro and urban areas are both bigger than Portland's metro and urban areas. Are you saying that Denver feels like a smaller town than Portland?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:55 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb8726 View Post
Hey out there! So I'm wanting to move from sunny Southern California. Some may say I'm crazy but I need change and seasons! I'm a young 27 year old gay male. (Not to hung up on the gay scene) but wanting to move to a city that has a lot of life and culture. So I've come up with 3 cities that I'm pretty interested in. Portland: it's a fun city. The only city out of the 3 I've spent time in. Have friends in the area that will help me out when I get there. Denver: hear it's up and coming. Smallest out of the 3 cities but has a good downtown life I hear. Also have a friend that can somewhat help when I'm there. Chicago: don't know anyone and would be a completely different experience. If love some input from people who have had experience in these cities
I just moved from the Chicago area to Denver and Portland was one of my options. Not really sure what you want, so...

Jobs/Economy: Denver;
Weather: Denver;
Outdoor activities: Denver for quantity, Portland for diversity;
Urban experience: Chicago;

Old 11-02-2014, 08:06 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
All I can say about Chicago is that the winters will be brutal there compared to the other two cities. If you're not concerned about the wind, snow and cold, then it's worth trying out!
I don't know if I'd say Chicago is brutal compared to Denver, moderately worse probably.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:48 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Denver is boring. The same as Austin. Somewhere along the line Denver became one of the places to move to. No reason other than it was considered "in". Currently there are a ton of people living in the city wondering why they moved there in the first place or else justifying their move of no reason.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:01 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
If you want a city with a lot of life and culture, than Chicago is your answer, as it has both in spades, way more so than Denver and Portland. Denver and Portland are good cities, but Chicago is just so much bigger and has everything youre looking for, minus mountain climbing. lol

Old 11-03-2014, 09:58 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,938 times
If you have friends in Portland, move to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.