U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:37 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,042,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You know as well as I do that Denver was a fly over city until marijuana put it on the radar. Yeah, the economy is good there, but the good economy isn't what is bringing in broke young people by the thousands piling out of vans to over saturate the lower end rental market. Marijuana is what is doing that.
Marijuana is easily attainable in pretty much every part of the country. There is absolutely no chance that Denver is being overrun by stoners just because marijuana has been legal there for 10 months. Besides, Denver's been an up and coming city for several years now. Marijuana has been legal there for under a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 PM

87,038 posts, read 102,742,261 times
Quote:
You know as well as I do that Denver was a fly over city until marijuana put it on the radar. Yeah, the economy is good there, but the good economy isn't what is bringing in broke young people by the thousands piling out of vans to over saturate the lower end rental market. Marijuana is what is doing that.
Denver was a "go-to" city long before marijuana. I believe some of its biggest growth, metro-wide, was in the 1970s. Many midwesterners look upon Denver as "Mecca". The 80s were not a booming decade, but the 90s sure were.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:41 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,163,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Marijuana is easily attainable in pretty much every part of the country. There is absolutely no chance that Denver is being overrun by stoners just because marijuana has been legal there for 10 months. Besides, Denver's been an up and coming city for several years now. Marijuana has been legal there for under a year.
You didn't see the side of Denver that I did then. Nearly everyone I met was a recent arrival and they conveniently indulged in pot on an almost daily basis.

And yes, it is easily attainable, and it should be kept underground where it belongs. In Denver, people smoke wherever they want. At public venues, on the patios of bars, on the streets. You can't escape from it. I don't care if people want to destroy their own health but I don't want to smell that stench and it is impossible to get away from.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:14 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times
What is your occupation? If you are in the high tech area they are very good in Portland otherwise stand in line for most everything else with the possible exception of manufacturing. Portland and Denver are great for the outdoors. Chicago is great for the nightlife.

I would check out jobs and pay scales before anything else. I think each city has a thriving gay community. In Portland it's pretty scattered, I don't know about Denver but in Chicago there is an larger concentration of gay neighborhoods. I would choose Chicago for the experience of huge variety and then in a few years if you felt like relocating to a smaller city, job permitting, I would choose between Portland or Denver.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:00 PM

19 posts, read 18,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
What is your occupation? If you are in the high tech area they are very good in Portland otherwise stand in line for most everything else with the possible exception of manufacturing. Portland and Denver are great for the outdoors. Chicago is great for the nightlife.

I would check out jobs and pay scales before anything else. I think each city has a thriving gay community. In Portland it's pretty scattered, I don't know about Denver but in Chicago there is an larger concentration of gay neighborhoods. I would choose Chicago for the experience of huge variety and then in a few years if you felt like relocating to a smaller city, job permitting, I would choose between Portland or Denver.
I'm a hairstylist, I guess depending on the place it will be reasonably easy for me to find a job. I'm starting to lean more towards Chicago. im pretty sure either way I'm going to have to have two jobs until I have a steady clientele base.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,406,945 times
Quote:
You didn't see the side of Denver that I did then. Nearly everyone I met was a recent arrival and they conveniently indulged in pot on an almost daily basis.

And yes, it is easily attainable, and it should be kept underground where it belongs. In Denver, people smoke wherever they want. At public venues, on the patios of bars, on the streets. You can't escape from it. I don't care if people want to destroy their own health but I don't want to smell that stench and it is impossible to get away from.
You sound like the life of the party!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:13 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,816,735 times
Quote:
Rent in Denver is shooting through the roof right now and jobs are not paying enough to keep up with it. When the spike is done expect it to be on par with the western coastal cities when it comes to cost of living. It is already almost there. I'd put off Denver for a few years until that city finishes turning into what it is turning into (an extremely expensive city that people move to so they can smoke marijuana to their hearts content). Moving from a coastal city too expect the change in altitude to greatly effect your health for at least a few months. Your body may never adapt. Definitely keep that in mind when it comes to picking a place to live.

I think the altitude adjustment is worth paying attention to. When I went to Denver my body took a couple of days to adjust, but once it did things were fine. You may not experience anything, but it is worth noting.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:44 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,544,522 times
LOL at Denver only growing due to legal marijuana. Denver has been growing for years now. Just because you hang out with a bunch of stoners does not mean the whole city is over run with them.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:45 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,042,456 times
Quote:

Haha I don't where the hell you're hanging out but I imagine your case is not typical. Seriously, if you're so anti-pot why are you becoming friends with potheads? I can only assume you're making friends with them, because I don't know how else you would know that a person smokes on a daily basis.

And do you think alcohol and tobacco should be kept underground?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:55 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb8726 View Post
I'm a hairstylist, I guess depending on the place it will be reasonably easy for me to find a job. I'm starting to lean more towards Chicago. im pretty sure either way I'm going to have to have two jobs until I have a steady clientele base.
Then I would not recommend Portland. Those jobs are scarce as hens teeth and you would be fighting for a chair. My dear hairstylist Debbie and her partner are closing up shop after forty years in the "hood" because they no longer can afford the rent. She says pretty much the only clientele left are those who go to the very expensive trendy shops and the old ladies like me who are dying out fast.

Not that you couldn't get work but competition is fierce. I know that in Chicago, you would have a much easier time of it. I can't say about Denver because I have never lived there.

I used to live in a very trendy Portland neighborhood and saw many good shops close their doors. Once Debbie's is gone, I think there will be maybe just two left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or