U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:01 PM

781 posts, read 1,097,900 times

Advertisements

Why is it that everytime there is a thread/post about Baltimore or Maryland D.C. always has to be brought up or mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 06:08 PM

12,701 posts, read 10,555,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Why is it that everytime there is a thread/post about Baltimore or Maryland D.C. always has to be brought up or mentioned?
Same reason that people come onto the NJ forum looking to work in NYC and move to NJ.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 PM

7,763 posts, read 6,177,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
People like DC more than Baltimore. Baltimore is painfully overlooked, and underrated, so when people see MD, I guess their cognitive bias automatically assumes the DC area. People think that Baltimore is a DC suburb, so that's why it happens. Any thread with Baltimore in the title will usually end up being about DC, as was the case in the recent Baltimore vs Atlanta thread, folks from the DC area feel that Baltimore stays afloat only because DC is 40 miles away.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 PM

545 posts, read 819,473 times
DC is what makes maryland tick, just like NYC is what makes jersey tick. of course, maryland has baltimore too, its own city. just like south jersey doesn't revolve around NYC. but the most well known areas in these states, with the most money and highest population density, are centered around the major cities of DC and NYC. maryland and jersey are extensions of these two major markets

Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 PM

That Atlanta vs Baltimore thread was the thread that what made realize how bad it has become.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,818,032 times
When people say that baltimore is a suburb of DC that is just pure ignorance. DC and baltimore are two different metro areas, although more of the money is coming from the DC area. The affluent towns and counties in Maryland are situated near DC. That part of Maryland is basically equivalent to Northern New Jersey.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:50 PM

I'm aware that they are only 40miles apart but to me they are two totally diffrent regions in more ways than one with some similarities of course

Old 11-09-2014, 02:31 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,994,571 times
In comparison to the bedroom communities of Northern VA which seem to overshadow everything else in the great state of VA, the Baltimore area tends to be roughly on par with the MD suburbs of DC in terms of economic output. I don't think Montgomery Co. in MD is on par with Fairfax Co. in VA in terms of economic development and influence which evens the playing field among MD's two primary metro regions. In addition, P.G. county, MD's other large suburban D.C. jurisdiction sort of lags in overall influence compared to its relative population. I would even argue that the Baltimore suburbs within Howard, Anne Arundel, Baltimore City and County are of greater importance than PG county.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:03 PM

867 posts, read 1,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
In comparison to the bedroom communities of Northern VA which seem to overshadow everything else in the great state of VA, the Baltimore area tends to be roughly on par with the MD suburbs of DC in terms of economic output. I don't think Montgomery Co. in MD is on par with Fairfax Co. in VA in terms of economic development and influence which evens the playing field among MD's two primary metro regions. In addition, P.G. county, MD's other large suburban D.C. jurisdiction sort of lags in overall influence compared to its relative population. I would even argue that the Baltimore suburbs within Howard, Anne Arundel, Baltimore City and County are of greater importance than PG county.
Nah, that's just on this forum, not real life...but this is about Maryland and Baltimores proximity to DC.

I will say though, OP most people generalize things far too often and that's one reason why they automatically lump BMore in with DC.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 11-09-2014 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 06:27 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,376,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Quote:
In comparison to the bedroom communities of Northern VA which seem to overshadow everything else in the great state of VA, the Baltimore area tends to be roughly on par with the MD suburbs of DC in terms of economic output. I don't think Montgomery Co. in MD is on par with Fairfax Co. in VA in terms of economic development and influence which evens the playing field among MD's two primary metro regions.
I've noticed this too. It's definitely interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or