U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:34 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,830,373 times

Advertisements

Erie has the best state park, Presque Isle. No other city I know of in the country has a public use peninsula that juts out for miles into the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 06:43 AM

596 posts, read 677,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Erie has the best state park, Presque Isle. No other city I know of in the country has a public use peninsula that juts out for miles into the water.
I had not heard of this park before but just checked it out on google street view. Very nice!

Old 11-06-2014, 06:46 AM

545 posts, read 817,040 times
Perth Amboy NJ... you know how beautiful it is to look at staten island everyday?

Old 11-06-2014, 06:49 AM

589 posts, read 618,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Why does Manhattan not has a beach like Chicago?
because Manhattan grew fast from the beginning, and Chicago had the Chicago fire to correct its urban planing mistakes, and make a new plan. plus Manhattan is on a river, and the bay has heavy boat traffic, not an optimal place for swimming so no beaches.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:55 AM

1,198 posts, read 962,451 times
Cancun/thread

If we're just talking about the states than I would have to go with San Diego or Miami.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:43 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,039,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Why does Manhattan not has a beach like Chicago?
This has already been answered - what I'd like to point out is that "Manhattan" and "New York" are not the same thing. No, Manhattan doesn't have any beaches, but the other 4 boroughs have a lot of coastline, and a good deal of it is beach (South/Midland/Fox/<other> Beaches in Staten Island, Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx, Coney Island in B'lyn, etc. etc.).
The OP's question was "best" shoreline. If you broaden the criteria to diversity of shoreline, not just beaches, it would be hard to find a city with a richer mix of developed, industrial/undeveloped, and recreational waterfront than New York.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 AM

3,266 posts, read 3,250,241 times
Seattle with it's Puget Sound & Lake Washington shorelines clearly wins out from all of my experiences in various cities.
If anyone has visited Seattle & "done" the Puget & Lake shorelines thoroughly, there's no need to explain but a simple online search for information and photos of just one particular area, Alki Point, Seattle, might help for the novice who is unfamiliar with the rugged beauty of that city.
Sorry San Francisco; no real slight intended here to your own beauty! Just calling it as I see it.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,395,894 times
San Diego, San Juan, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Baltimore, Boston.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:58 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,466,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
This has already been answered - what I'd like to point out is that "Manhattan" and "New York" are not the same thing. No, Manhattan doesn't have any beaches, but the other 4 boroughs have a lot of coastline, and a good deal of it is beach (South/Midland/Fox/<other> Beaches in Staten Island, Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx, Coney Island in B'lyn, etc. etc.).
The OP's question was "best" shoreline. If you broaden the criteria to diversity of shoreline, not just beaches, it would be hard to find a city with a richer mix of developed, industrial/undeveloped, and recreational waterfront than New York.
Not that I disagree mostly? But When we consider A SHORELINES ATTRIBUTES. We don't think or industry on its shoreline? If Chicago for example allowed its industry on its shoreline (only a couple decades ago it still had some warehouses and some port loading/unloading to rail lines right downtown along the Chicago river, gone now and filled with skyscrapers) But Chicago did for its lakefront spare it from industry

I would not be posting pictures as attributes to its Shorelines beauty?

Old 11-06-2014, 02:29 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,518,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Good points, I haven't thought it it quite like that. I always have to point out to people that NYC DOES have ocean beaches in its city limits, people tend to think of just Manhattan - which DOES have an attractive, usable riverfront anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Not that I disagree mostly? But When we consider A SHORELINES ATTRIBUTES. We don't think or industry on its shoreline? If Chicago for example allowed its industry on its shoreline (only a couple decades ago it still had some warehouses and some port loading/unloading to rail lines right downtown along the Chicago river, gone now and filled with skyscrapers) But Chicago did for its lakefront spare it from industry

I would not be posting pictures as attributes to its Shorelines beauty?
Industry may not always look pretty but it's great for the city economically. In the case of New York, anyway, it isn't just all super urban looking at all shore points - rivers, tidal straits, bays, harbors, or oceanfront. There is a mix and I think that was the poster's point. There is a diversity among how NYC uses its vast, diverse in itself waterfront areas. NYC is 4/5 an island - that's a lot of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.