U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:06 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,520,811 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:13 PM

17,219 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Los Angeles and Miami.

They have the most famous beaches of large cities.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:59 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,462,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Good points, I haven't thought it it quite like that. I always have to point out to people that NYC DOES have ocean beaches in its city limits, people tend to think of just Manhattan - which DOES have an attractive, usable riverfront anyway.

Industry may not always look pretty but it's great for the city economically. In the case of New York, anyway, it isn't just all super urban looking at all shore points - rivers, tidal straits, bays, harbors, or oceanfront. There is a mix and I think that was the poster's point. There is a diversity among how NYC uses its vast, diverse in itself waterfront areas. NYC is 4/5 an island - that's a lot of water.
I understand for NYC it is seen Diversity power and might. But if Chicago had less public shoreline to recreation, but more industry ECT. The same standard for many would not apply? To many NYC is NYC. The greatest and a class of its own and standard no other has improvement on?

Please do not see this as disrespect. I fully give NYC its due.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:26 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Most of Manhattan's natural shoreline is under land now. The boundaries of the island have been extended for piers and land to build on. NYC does have a lots of great coast, though from wooded riversides to salt marshes, to rocky New England type coast to broad sandy beaches. It is a lot of different coastal types for one relatively small geographic region.

Aerial View of Pelham Bay, the Bronx

River coast, Manhattan

Sandy Beaches, Queens

Sandy Beaches, Brooklyn

Rocky Coastline, Bronx

Old 11-08-2014, 02:57 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times
I don't necessarily think that New York wins but that ^ is all very true and I think it is something people forget or simply don't realize about NYC because most think just of tall buildings and landmarks in Manhattan.

Before Sandy, I bet most nationally had never heard of the Rockaways or Staten Island beachfront neighborhoods, if they even heard news about the destruction of those areas post-Sandy.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:43 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't necessarily think that New York wins but that ^ is all very true and I think it is something people forget or simply don't realize about NYC because most think just of tall buildings and landmarks in Manhattan.
It may not have the best coastline, but it is certainly diverse, from still wetlands with nesting egrets and flocks of seabirds to waves crashing on rocks, to sandy, sea-side beaches.

In any one of those categories, other cities beat NYC out, but at least it has a little bit of everything.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM

16 posts, read 12,388 times
I'm definitely biased as a Chicagoan, but the Chicago Lakefront really is an incredible sight. I'm a life-long resident and am still astounded by the lakefront.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:52 PM

16 posts, read 12,388 times
I also must say, even as an advocate for Chicago, the city of Marquette Michigan is one of the most beautiful and affordable coastal towns (Lake Superior) I've ever seen.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:05 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Salt Lake City
I was just gonna say that

Old 11-12-2014, 05:48 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Chicago immediately came to mind, as did Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.