U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:43 PM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Massachusetts would probably vote yes if it makes it to the ballot. Helps if it's on a presidential election year. Arizona might have too many old people. Ditto with Maine.
Arizona approved medical marijuana by voter ballot, not even Florida could do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Arizona approved medical marijuana by voter ballot, not even Florida could do that.
Florida voted for it a high % (58%) but there was a 60% thershold requirement.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:51 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,464,772 times
I'd note that the specific language of the law makes a difference. Oregon voted on the same issue in 2012 but voted it down.

This time around, the measure was better written. That made a very significant difference.

In theory later-adopting states have the benefit of looking at what works and what doesn't in the early-adopting states, but also from a political science perspective, they can also work at what language appealed to voters and what didn't.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:54 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,916,791 times
They should legalize pot in every state, the bigger problem in USA is over use of prescription pain medicine anyway. States fail their residents again but I am not surprised. Oregon is a pretty progressive state thou, one my fav states in the USA.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:47 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
I wish Americans were as passionate about where their taxes are going and foreign policy as they are about marijuana and gay marriage... but oh well, i shouldn't tell others how they should think.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:50 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,916,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I wish Americans were as passionate about where their taxes are going and foreign policy as they are about marijuana and gay marriage... but oh well, i shouldn't tell others how they should think.
Yet Americans still won't address mental illness and we wonder why we have so many people homeless and out of work.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:27 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,464,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Part of the difference is that taxation and foreign policy are deeply complex. Marijuana and gay marriage lend themselves to more binary for/against positions. It's just easier to stake out turf and stand behind it passionately whichever side you're on.

Foreign policy, on the other hand, is complex, and it's very hard to know if the moves you make are right or wrong. Should we bomb ISIS in Iraq? That's one complex issue. Should we bomb ISIS in Syria? Even more complex. What about drones? Which side, if any, should we take on the Palestinian issue, and if we take a hardline pushing aggressively towards one resolution or other will it backfire?

That's not to say the public shouldn't have a voice in these issues, but you very clearly get to a level that isn't just about general philosophy of interventionism vs. isolationism or dove/hawk, but understands the details on the ground. NPR does okay with foreign policy reporting, but if you look at most of our media, it's paper thin at best, and most people don't subscribe to 'Foreign Policy Journal' or even 'the Economist.'

Public spending is likewise incredibly complex. Say the gov't is spending research money on hippo sweat. At first glance, that seems like a joke and incredible waste, but hippo sweat contains both antiseptics and radiation blocking compounds. Even our elected representatives, who in theory are paid to study these issues full-time, rarely have much more than a passing knowledge of the issues at play.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:34 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Utah

Old 11-05-2014, 05:07 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Part of the difference is that taxation and foreign policy are deeply complex. Marijuana and gay marriage lend themselves to more binary for/against positions. It's just easier to stake out turf and stand behind it passionately whichever side you're on.
Exactly. Taxation and foreign policy are comprised of dozens, if not hundreds, of nuanced positions.

In a way, marijuana legalization is just an isolated tax position.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:41 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They should legalize pot in every state, the bigger problem in USA is over use of prescription pain medicine anyway.
This country is so drugged up it is scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.