U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,846,166 times

Advertisements

Personally, I am against legalizing it, but having it legal in CO works out very well for my home state of WY.

Good revenue boost for our police and highway patrol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:10 PM

9,453 posts, read 18,377,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Personally, I am against legalizing it, but having it legal in CO works out very well for my home state of WY.

And wasting the tax revenue paid by Wyoming taxpayers to prosecute them. Brilliant!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:13 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,759,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
And wasting the tax revenue paid by Wyoming taxpayers to prosecute them. Brilliant!
Beat me to it.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:00 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,407,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What are you trying to say?

What is legalizing Marijuana going to do about the Drug War? they can still make money smuggling in cocaine, heroin and meth.
Are you being serious? A very large chunk of Drug War monies go to marijuana. Go back and check my numbers, and they show a % of the annual taken out due to legalization, and that number is BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ANNUALLY out of the $50,000,000,000 per year currently alotted.

-----

There are many other ways we blow billions on keeping marijuana illegal. One of the biggest is Prisons.

We incarcarate as a country at an alarming rate, with over 25% being drug offenses:
(US Drug Prisoners) "The United States leads the world in the number of people incarcerated in federal and state correctional facilities. There are currently more than 2 million people in American prisons or jails. Approximately one-quarter of those people held in U.S. prisons or jails have been convicted of a drug offense. The United States incarcerates more people for drug offenses than any other country. With an estimated 6.8 million Americans struggling with drug abuse or dependence, the growth of the prison population continues to be driven largely by incarceration for drug offenses."

A high % of these are for THC:
Total Federal Prisoners 2004 = 170,535
Total State Prisoners 2004 = 1,244,311

Percent of federal prisoners held for drug law violations = 55%
Percent of state prisoners held for drug law violations = 21%

Marijuana/hashish, Percent of federal drug offenders, 2004 = 12.4%
Marijuana/hashish, Percent of state drug offenders, 2004 = 12.7%

(Total prisoners x percent drug law) x percent marijuana = "marijuana prisoners"
Federal marijuana prisoners in 2004 = 11,630
State marijuana prisoners in 2004 = 33,186
Total federal and state marijuana prisoners in 2004 = 44,816

-----

Here is an incontrovertable fact: by legalizing marijuana, you clear out the prisons (saving billions), defund 1/4 or more of the Drug War ($25,000,000,000 annually at least), and tax the product, generating billions in state revenue.

I'm not sure why this would be a confusing or suprising bit of information? I was responding directly to this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I wish Americans were as passionate about where their taxes are going and foreign policy as they are about marijuana and gay marriage... but oh well, i shouldn't tell others how they should think.
I wish Republicans would drop the morality/nanny garbage and worry about saving tens of billions of dollars a year instead nickle and diming state workers to far less overall savings. Aren't they the "fiscally sound" party?

To answer: no. Both sides are morality police/nannies running on emotional issues instead of focusing on sound financials. That's what wins elsections. Unfortunately, it doesn't aid the populace. This is why I, and many others, have jumped ship on this "tastes great! less filling" 2-party nonsense and others, like most in this thread, continue to be absolutely duped by their parties, which they treat like religions.

Partisan politics are the real issue in this country, not "liberals" or "conservatives."

Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,888,582 times
Well, while California might not have legalized recreational weed YET (it's not a matter of if, but when)...thanks to prop 47, it has taken a step towards decriminalization of other drugs, by reducing possession from a felony to a misdemeanor. This is an important step on the war against the war against drugs (failed policy, imo). Prop. 47 jolts landscape of California justice system - LA Times

What non-Western state will be the first to legalize marijuana usage? Not just theoretically (due to how liberal they arent or are), but which ones actually have a growing grassroots movement?

Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,888,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post

What non-Western state will be the first to legalize marijuana usage? Not just theoretically (due to how liberal they arent or are), but which ones actually have a growing grassroots movement?
To answer my own question, according to MotherJones (Map: The United States of Legal Weed | Mother Jones) it looks to be Maine and/or Massachusetts.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:24 AM

1,259 posts, read 727,250 times
Vermont
Alaska
New Hampshire
California
Wyoming
Maine
Hawaii
Minnesota

I think recreational use of marijuana is more likely to occur in the western states and the very NE regions due to their more libertarian stances.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,080,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Much of it depends on how it easy it to put on the ballot besides just local culture. Western states in general are more proposition friendly. Massachusetts is a bit clumsy but better than some eastern states. My guess is Massachusetts would be next of any eastern state, it has the least strict rules of any state that hasn't legalized it.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:45 AM

10,435 posts, read 12,450,993 times
"Possessing any amount is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in prison/$1,000 fine. The second offense is a felony: 3.5 years/$10,000."

In Wisconsin

"For now, possession of any amount can get you up to 6 months in prison/$1,150 fine. Getting caught with pot near a school, park, or religious building is a serious felony: up to 15 years/$250,000."

In Delaware

"Possessing any amount can get you up to 6 months incarceration and $1,000 in fines for the first offense."

In Iowa

"For now, being stoned in public can get you 90 days in jail/$100 fine, while possessing any amount of pot could mean up to 1 year/$1,000 fine—double that if you're caught in a park."

In Michigan

Old 11-09-2014, 11:54 AM

14,157 posts, read 19,805,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post

Actually their salary and pensions are taking much more of your tax dollars than a few people paying fines, if their sober enough to remember to pay them.
Losing your tax money and being happy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.