U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2014, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
9 posts, read 9,404 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Allow me a quick introduction, I'm Kevin from Connecticut & a CEO only in that I filled out some paperwork and now run an LLC. I'm developing a dating site to fill a niche that is yet unfilled in the market. I just turned drinking age last week and on that day discovered that I like gin, not so much the other drinks I have tried.

Be it the red rock scenery in the video games I grew up with or the fact that my mother decorated our house in a very stereotypical South-Western style I've been desiring moving to that part of the country. To be clear about things, I'm putting together a 5-year plan. When the move happens depends upon how well my business(or others I've been working on) turn out. To lay something additional on the table I will be going to see if I'm a candidate for lasik this Friday. I have an eye condition which necessitates a 24/7 fix if I am going to be able to drive safely. For those who might wonder, I have total mono vision meaning that I only use one eye to see at a time, so I essentially only see in 2D. Depending how the appointment goes I may be needing to live somewhere where driving is not required. I'd like to know all my options.

Living in Connecticut all the green makes me feel.. well rather green. Ironic in a sense because one of my interests is in botany/gardening. I don't have any experience with the subject but would like to move somewhere where I'll find others of a like interest. I am also by far into health, I prefer to eat locally grown food when possible. I have a good source of meat already, but no good source of fruits. Part of my long term plan is in having some fruit production at home(assuming you can grow peach trees in the areas I'm looking to live, I may have to compromise there.) My other issue is that I wish to live somewhere sunnier, my mother spends most of the daylight hours in summer out on the deck sunbathing and personally I find myself feeling lethargic more times than not. I suspect there is something in my genes which necessitates more sun than I am being provided with/providing myself with here in New England.


Other than that I'm not sure what to say, I don't have the usual bias toward city/town living, what activities are around, schools, etc.. I'd prefer to live somewhere with a nice view or within driving distance of red rock, and would prefer somewhere that gets snow(even if its only a light dusting once a year.) Mostly I am just looking for somewhere more barren/open than here. Somewhere with flatter/less windy roads, and a desert feel to it. Oh, and reasonable(income/corporate) tax rates. I'm 21 and will be starting out without debt and hopefully with a successful small business + the college funds my parents saved up for me(which proved unnecessary.)

Its worth noting that I am open to Utah and have nothing against living amongst Mormons. I find myself better able to get along with more family oriented people. My only two concerns would be in that owning a dating site might be a 'faux pas' even if it is aimed at young marriage oriented individuals, and in that I do have an interest in alcoholic beverages. I wouldn't be happy in an area with little in the way of selection especially considering Utah is a state where you can't ship in booze from online.

As a final note, I do have to note that I'd be most comfortable around those of my ethnicity, I'm white and more specifically Celtic. Its not the most important thing for me, but I would be uncomfortable feeling as if I was living in a foreign land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,438 posts, read 18,355,294 times
Reputation: 11926
Come on out! I'm from New England as well (Salem, Mass), and I've lived out here for almost three years. I'm very well adapted to the 300+ days of sunshine a year that we get out here. Much more so than any winter or gloomy spring I ever spent back there, I don't think I ever got use to that. Out here the skies are big, cobalt blue in color, and the horizon is endless and not hindered by any forest or tree canopy. The landscapes are mesmerizing, very colorful and constantly changing as you traverse through them during road trips. It's a foreign idea and landscape for many back east that appreciate their own green elements, and understandable as such. But I think I'll be out here for a pretty long haul.

The Southwest has different areas and elements to consider. Question is, do you want to live in a warm/hot desert (Southern Arizona), or a more seasonal desert (New Mexico/Utah)?

I live in Albuquerque, its as high as Denver sitting at about a mile high depending on whether you're in the valley or the foothills. The high desert has more seasonal weather. In October I left the house in shorts everyday, the mornings were brisk but the afternoons always warmed up to 70+. Right now we're in the 60's during the day, but come December the temps at night will likely drop down below freezing with 15 degree lows not uncommon. What makes the winters bearable around here is they are much shorter, and during the day it can be 45, but the sun feels balmy during the day taking chill off your skin a bit. It doesn't get the damp bone chilling cold like back East. Summers here are usually between the low to mid 90's pretty much everyday in mid-summer, but again the humidity is low so it makes the heat less oppressive if your in a shady area.

Phoenix is closer to a 1,000 feet in elevation, in the low desert area in the Valley of the Sun you basically have three seasons; war, hot, and inferno. Dry as it may be, you wouldn't be getting out of the house much in June/July/August when there triple digit temperatures everyday. The tradeoff that I'd say about that is, you're still getting natural light in your home as opposed to a gloomy winter day trapped indoors. The rest of the year Phoenix has excellent weather and Arizona has a great variety of world class recreation to delve into.

As for living in an area where driving isn't required, you're pretty much limited to Phoenix or Salt Lake City. They are the only two desert cities with real mass transit options available. Phoenix is a sprawl monster built for cars, VERY spread out. However it still has options, particularly along its light rail line along Central Ave, or around the ASU campus in Tempe. Salt Lake City and the suburban valley around it is also a big grid designed for cars. Though it definitely has an impressive network or light rail, commuter rail, and streetcar options. It would probably be yur most walkable option, right in SLC itself. Tucson also has a downtown/college campus streetcar line, if you up for living in a smaller city. As for Albuquerque, I would not want to be in a position of being reliant on the city busses here, but that's just my personal view on that.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 11-05-2014 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:30 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,159,182 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCEO View Post
Allow me a quick introduction, I'm Kevin from Connecticut & a CEO only in that I filled out some paperwork and now run an LLC. I'm developing a dating site to fill a niche that is yet unfilled in the market. I just turned drinking age last week and on that day discovered that I like gin, not so much the other drinks I have tried.

Be it the red rock scenery in the video games I grew up with or the fact that my mother decorated our house in a very stereotypical South-Western style I've been desiring moving to that part of the country. To be clear about things, I'm putting together a 5-year plan. When the move happens depends upon how well my business(or others I've been working on) turn out. To lay something additional on the table I will be going to see if I'm a candidate for lasik this Friday. I have an eye condition which necessitates a 24/7 fix if I am going to be able to drive safely. For those who might wonder, I have total mono vision meaning that I only use one eye to see at a time, so I essentially only see in 2D. Depending how the appointment goes I may be needing to live somewhere where driving is not required. I'd like to know all my options.

Living in Connecticut all the green makes me feel.. well rather green. Ironic in a sense because one of my interests is in botany/gardening. I don't have any experience with the subject but would like to move somewhere where I'll find others of a like interest. I am also by far into health, I prefer to eat locally grown food when possible. I have a good source of meat already, but no good source of fruits. Part of my long term plan is in having some fruit production at home(assuming you can grow peach trees in the areas I'm looking to live, I may have to compromise there.) My other issue is that I wish to live somewhere sunnier, my mother spends most of the daylight hours in summer out on the deck sunbathing and personally I find myself feeling lethargic more times than not. I suspect there is something in my genes which necessitates more sun than I am being provided with/providing myself with here in New England.


Other than that I'm not sure what to say, I don't have the usual bias toward city/town living, what activities are around, schools, etc.. I'd prefer to live somewhere with a nice view or within driving distance of red rock, and would prefer somewhere that gets snow(even if its only a light dusting once a year.) Mostly I am just looking for somewhere more barren/open than here. Somewhere with flatter/less windy roads, and a desert feel to it. Oh, and reasonable(income/corporate) tax rates. I'm 21 and will be starting out without debt and hopefully with a successful small business + the college funds my parents saved up for me(which proved unnecessary.)

Its worth noting that I am open to Utah and have nothing against living amongst Mormons. I find myself better able to get along with more family oriented people. My only two concerns would be in that owning a dating site might be a 'faux pas' even if it is aimed at young marriage oriented individuals, and in that I do have an interest in alcoholic beverages. I wouldn't be happy in an area with little in the way of selection especially considering Utah is a state where you can't ship in booze from online.

As a final note, I do have to note that I'd be most comfortable around those of my ethnicity, I'm white and more specifically Celtic. Its not the most important thing for me, but I would be uncomfortable feeling as if I was living in a foreign land.
Wtf? You are strange. You won't fit in anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,885 posts, read 6,207,396 times
Reputation: 6187
Southern Utah is where most of the Red Rock is. Moab or St George. Sedona, Arizona. Colorado Springs and southern Colorado has some. But Utah has the most that I know of.

St. George would be low enough to grow fruit I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:33 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,159,182 times
Reputation: 3308
If this guy is "Celtic" he must walk around in a kilt while playing a bagpipe. OP, you aren't going to find anyone similar to you anywhere in America outside of festivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
9 posts, read 9,404 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
If this guy is "Celtic" he must walk around in a kilt while playing a bagpipe. OP, you aren't going to find anyone similar to you anywhere in America outside of festivals.
Well thank you for the racial stereotyping... I won't be responding to your posts further as you seem to be looking for a fight.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I honestly can't say what kind of weather I'd prefer, perhaps I should stick to a more '4 seasons' part of the desert just to ease the transition? I am thinking I'll probably want to stick to a temporary living arrangement at first as this move will be a large culture/climate shock for me.

Would someone be so kind to fill me in on the pros/cons of living in a college town? I see that is a prerequisite that some people have with regards to where they wish to move and I assume it isn't solely about living within a short distance of a college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Phoenix Arizona
2,032 posts, read 4,039,960 times
Reputation: 2699
The desert's been calling me for days and I just haven't got around to calling it back yet. I probably will pretty soon when I go for another hike in the mountain preserve a few miles from my house here in central Phoenix.

Another place that might be calling is Tucson. Lots of bike commuting, intense interest in Baja Arizona sourced food, an amazing not for profit, heirloom, native and latino southwest seedbank and gardening organization called Native Seed/SEARCH, and some of the most jaw droppingly beautiful desert you can see on all 7 continents on planet Earth. The Southwest is a unique, ephemeral thing, get out here before its too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,438 posts, read 18,355,294 times
Reputation: 11926
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
The Southwest is a unique, ephemeral thing, get out here before its too late.
Word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
9 posts, read 9,404 times
Reputation: 10
I was doing some reading on St George Utah and read that its a quickly growing town attracting businessmen such as myself. I would rank that as a major plus, and even add that as a preference for the kind of place I would like to move.

* Area with a growing economy/attracting ambitious young businesspeople.

I will continue reading up on the other towns suggested, thanks for bringing up St Geroge Eddie, I'm putting it on the list. As well as Tuscan, Phoenix, and SLC, thank you to Cacto & Desert SW. I would be content living in a smaller city and it may ease the transition for me as I've only ever lived in the suburbs.

On a different note, is it common to most desert areas that the heat will keep you indoors for parts of the summer? I don't think I want to move somewhere where I will be stuck inside a few months of the year, I already have that problem here in Connecticut. On the topic of having less climate shock, I'd also prefer somewhere less laid-back to ease the culture shock. I'm the typical Yankee in the sense that I'm always doing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale AZ
556 posts, read 633,105 times
Reputation: 655
whats your budget? many different places around here come to mind.

PS: This may be the first time a 21 year old has actually sounded intelligent on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top