Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more left-wing?
West (including the Rockies/Southwest) 30 65.22%
Midwest 16 34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:17 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times

Advertisements

There's a definite inland/coastal divide in the West. East of I-5, it gets pretty conservative pretty quickly. West of it, it gets pretty liberal pretty quickly

However, both the liberals and conservatives out here are what you would call "socially liberally". Not very many pockets of Social Conservatism, except for maybe Utah. Everyone just sorta wants to be left alone to do their own thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:22 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
There's a definite inland/coastal divide in the West. East of I-5, it gets pretty conservative pretty quickly. West of it, it gets pretty liberal pretty quickly

However, both the liberals and conservatives out here are what you would call "socially liberally". Not very many pockets of Social Conservatism, except for maybe Utah. Everyone just sorta wants to be left alone to do their own thing.
I felt that the Inland Empire, parts of San Diego county, Bakersfield, and the eastern suburbs of Phoenix to extremely socially conservative. On the other hand, I've found Salt Lake City to be rather progressive. In fact, I can't think of another city where I've met more atheists.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Sure, I see your point. CA aside, I was disputing the "lion's share of people in the West" statement regarding OR/WA.

Regarding the OP, It seems to me the whole nation is trending more socially liberal on cultural issues, it's the fiscal politics that seem to be irreconcilable. Fiscal politics is skewed toward your social outlook, but in general, sexuality, pot, etc. are widely more accepted from the bible belt to the mountain west.
I agree with you. It is both the genius and the evil of political marketing. They've brain washed entire demographics into thinking that you can't have the fiscal component without the assigned social component they've designated for it.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I felt that the Inland Empire, parts of San Diego county, Bakersfield, and the eastern suburbs of Phoenix to extremely socially conservative. On the other hand, I've found Salt Lake City to be rather progressive. In fact, I can't think of another city where I've met more atheists.
It isn't a blanket rule, but just a generality I've noticed. I used to spend a lot of time in the IE (ex-girlfriend lives there) and found while there were pockets of social conservatism there, most were your garden variety "I don't want to get taxed but I want to get public services" conservatives there.

Phoenix is pretty socially liberal. Mesa has a huge Mormon contingent, which may explain some of its social conservatism but by and large most people don't care about social issues all that much. Hell, legal marijuana almost passed there.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:17 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
About even, the West has the West Coast and the Midwest has Chicago and the Upper Midwest.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:48 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
If you take out California, the West is Conservative. The big cities are few and far between, most of it is rural.

The midwest is pretty liberal, with blue-collar unions.

So not only is the Western landscape better, so are the voters.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:29 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
If you take out California, the West is Conservative. The big cities are few and far between, most of it is rural.

The midwest is pretty liberal, with blue-collar unions.

So not only is the Western landscape better, so are the voters.
Even California is more conservative than you'd think considering most of the minorities in California are conservatives.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:58 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Most people who live in the West, live in California, which is still home to more people than every other Western state, combined.

Los Angeles County alone is home to 3 million more people than the population of the five most conservative Western states (AK, ID, MT, UT, & WY), combined.

Honestly, to argue that most people who live in the West don't live in one of coastal states is laughable. How mathematically challenged are you, really?

Also, much of the West--as opposed to the Midwest, which is very much "God's country" by comparison--is very libertarian. Most of the West, even the heavily Mormon areas, is very live-and-let-live: open-minded; tolerant, even if not approving; and largely indifferent to a person's sexuality or level of religiosity (i.e., no one cares who you sleep with or what religion you are). Good luck trying to find that in most of the Midwest.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:32 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
The West has more staunch liberals and more staunch conservatives.
Agreed...the Midwest is fairly practical....definitely middle of the road. The ultimate Purple region.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 AM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Even California is more conservative than you'd think considering most of the minorities in California are conservatives.
Depends on what you mean by conservative. Socially, yes. Economically, no, they aren't conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.