U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more left-wing?
West (including the Rockies/Southwest) 30 66.67%
Midwest 15 33.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:10 AM

12,448 posts, read 11,955,665 times

Advertisements

Part of the issue with the OP is they treated liberalism and leftism as synonymous.

I think the West is pretty clearly a more liberal region, judging by the overall political lean of the population. But I think there is a strong argument for the Midwest being more leftist. Hell, North Dakota of all places has a state-owned bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,726,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Part of the issue with the OP is they treated liberalism and leftism as synonymous.

I think the West is pretty clearly a more liberal region, judging by the overall political lean of the population. But I think there is a strong argument for the Midwest being more leftist. Hell, North Dakota of all places has a state-owned bank.
I agree they are different though they are connected. In order for people to truly be equal they need to be able to participate in the economy.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:15 PM

12,448 posts, read 11,955,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I agree they are different though they are connected. In order for people to truly be equal they need to be able to participate in the economy.
I dunno, I see them as very different. Liberalism isn't fundamentally about equality, like leftism is. The rights of the individual in liberalism, for example, are always placed ahead of concerns about the community and society as a whole. The original term didn't really mean left or right wing, and indeed the term in Europe is used in roughly its original meaning (e.g. supporters of free markets who are socially liberal - like Libertarians but not as extreme).

Even within the U.S. context, where people tend to use liberal where they mean "social progessive" or "soft social democrat" there tends to be a big difference between the solutions a liberal would suggest to a policy issue versus a leftist. For example, consider the issue of inequality. A liberal solution would be to push for greater access to education, and policies which reduce discrimination, so that those who are within the underclass (whatever it may be) can, through hard work, get to the top. A leftist solution would be higher wages for working-class jobs, so that occupation/educational attainment would be divorced from the issue of poverty entirely.

American liberals want to see the status quo remain basically, only to become more "diverse" and "accepting" so that a true meritocracy of the "deserving" is formed. Leftists want the whole apple cart overturned and something new created, even if they don't want a revolution per se.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,857,540 times
The West strikes me as more socially liberal, which isn't left or right wing but more of an anti-authoritarian take that anyone left or right can embrace. I think maybe fiscally the West strikes me as more slight right. The Midwest is full of people who are very leftist, economically. I don't think being socially liberal or conservative has anything to do with being right or left wing.

The Midwest also isn't as socially conservative as people think. It ain't the Bible belt. Not that that skews it left or right, as left and right are traditionally ways to measure whether someone is more regulated market or free market, not whether they think government should have moral authority over people. Because if that's the case, then both Repubs and Dems are the same thing.

The Midwest has many people of Scandinavian descent, especially the Upper Midwest who are very left leaning. Lots of them are Lutherans who are socially conservative but in general when it comes to dealing with people have a live and let live attitude. From people I've met in the Midwest, and being from the Midwest, I'd say the region is very left leaning.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:56 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,199,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The Midwest has many people of Scandinavian descent, especially the Upper Midwest who are very left leaning. Lots of them are Lutherans who are socially conservative but in general when it comes to dealing with people have a live and let live attitude. From people I've met in the Midwest, and being from the Midwest, I'd say the region is very left leaning.
Lutherans are actually very socially liberal; I was raised a Lutheran and the main basic principles are:
  • Don't be a dick to people, and expect the same behavior from others
  • Keep your opinions about religion to yourself, because there is room for lots of different interpretations of God and spirituality
  • Don't believe any of that "fire and brimstone" BS, because that's exactly what it is
  • Be generous and not materialistic
  • People of ALL faiths (or lack thereof) are children of God
  • Gay marriage and LGBT clergy are cool with us
  • Female clergy are cool with us

All of that being said, I'm no longer religious. However, based on my own experiences, I'd say that Lutheranism is probably one of the few decent Christian denominations to choose from today.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:03 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,991,538 times
I would describe much of Northern New Mexico into parts of Colorado (ie. Santa Fe, Taos, Boulder, Denver, Aspen, etc.) as liberal as any region along the I-5 corridor.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

American liberals want to see the status quo remain basically, only to become more "diverse" and "accepting" so that a true meritocracy of the "deserving" is formed. Leftists want the whole apple cart overturned and something new created, even if they don't want a revolution per se.
Good observation! In a way, I guess you could say American liberals who aren't "revolutionary" want people to be judged purely by their bank account rather than their race or sex or whatever. I suppose that's progressive?

Old 11-11-2014, 12:26 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,559,598 times
Default Midwest

The Midwest is more genuinely Liberal. The West is selectively so.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:59 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The Midwest is more genuinely Liberal. The West is selectively so.
This pretty much sums it up for me. I have lived in both regions. I would call the West "militantly liberal" as in "my way or the highway" kind of liberalism.

I found that the so-called liberalism of the West was more like the following of trends deemed as liberal with little allowance for any deviation from the proscribed way of so-called liberal way thinking. In reality this did not always translate into liberalism. It was more a case of individuals not feeling comfortable in having differing opinions on certain social, economic or political matters in general from the popular consensus if they did not buy into what was considered to be liberal.

I have found in the Midwest that there is more of a "live and let live" kind of attitude. People are not expected to all think alike. I would call this a more liberal attitude.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This pretty much sums it up for me. I have lived in both regions. I would call the West "militantly liberal" as in "my way or the highway" kind of liberalism.
I think it depends on where though. I'd say Montana for example is more liberal in the true sense. Then again Montana culturally is pretty similar to the Great Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or