U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I'm always confused when I see threads like this and someone recommends Florida... um...
Sorry but there's actually more than Seattle, Portland or Austin believe it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 5,527 times
Corpus Christi, Tx. Welcome to C.C

Old 11-09-2014, 07:51 AM

6,319 posts, read 6,983,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
(Miami and Orlando are probably runners up to Vegas in terms of a dearth of cultural amenities. I mean really. No one goes to South Beach or Disneyland for the ballet, art, or theater).
He's coming from Lawrence, KS. I think the cultural amenities in Orlando and Miami are fine. BTW, just cause you're in NYC where lots of people go to visit because of the culture, it doesn't mean someone looking to move to a city needs the same cultural opportunities as a place they want to visit for culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandoon View Post

Here is some of my requirements:

- lower cost of living (I want studio or 1bd apartment and not pay more than $600 a month).
- a lot of young people
- culture
- walkable and/or bike friendly community
- no need to be in a big city, but I want to be max 1-2 hours away from a big airport

Here are things nice to have (no must):

- no income tax state
- ocean, beaches
- public transportation
- great outdoors

What would you advise? I know I may have to make compromise somewhere. I am welcoming any suggestions, thank you.
Your low COL is a very strict requirement that is quite limiting. You could try Gainesville, FL near the University of Florida. It's a bit larger than both Lawrence and KU. There's enough cultural events because of the 50,000 students and obviously young people as well. The areas around campus are walkable and bike-friendly. You'd have both Orlando and Jacksonville airports under 2 hours away.

FL has no state income tax. The beach is 90 min away in both directions, public transportation is decent if your routes center around the school, otherwise it's a bit inconvenient. Outdoors are ok for hiking, camping, and biking on flat terrain.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:12 PM

173 posts, read 197,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandoon View Post
Guys, I need an advice on where to move. I am from western Europe originally, but I spent the last few years in Kansas, close to Lawrence, KS to be exact. I feel it is time to make a change right now. Especially since the employer has let me to work remotely for him. So I do not need to stay in Kansas anymore.

Here is some of my requirements:

- lower cost of living (I want studio or 1bd apartment and not pay more than $600 a month).
- a lot of young people
- culture
- walkable and/or bike friendly community
- no need to be in a big city, but I want to be max 1-2 hours away from a big airport

Here are things nice to have (no must):

- no income tax state
- ocean, beaches
- public transportation
- great outdoors

What would you advise? I know I may have to make compromise somewhere. I am welcoming any suggestions, thank you.
Birmingham, Alabama (but live in the suburb of Mountain Brook). It's 2 hours from Mountains and about 4 hours from the beaches of Gulf Shores. Lots of young people because of University of Alabama at Birmingham. A thriving bar and restaurant scene and fairly cheap rent. Just don't live in downtown, too dangerous at night in some areas.

I moved from Birmingham to Louisiana last December and am really starting to miss it. The mountains around Mountain Brook are absolutely beautiful in the fall and there's lots of nice shopping and housing in the area.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:35 PM

645 posts, read 612,108 times
What is warm to you? For me 75+ is hot! If you dont mind hotter climates, Dallas might be a nice option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or