U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,259,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
It's great, and to a degree true, as long as you don't mind painting an entire region with BROAD STROKES.

:-)
What would you expect from the username 8 to 32 characters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 08:35 PM

660 posts, read 811,633 times
Default Whew!

YOW! According to Craigslist, Oxnard rentals are generally well out of my budget; dumpy looking places were about $950 a month! Even small places that looked nice were $1300/month and WAY, WAY UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You could get Oxnard in your budget.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:27 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
Besides, there is no university presence in Oxnard/Ventura.

I don't think it's a big secret that there are places (plural) in the SE that are not polarizingly socially conservative, though some characters refuse to believe this.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:50 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,396,261 times
Kennesaw, GA.(near Metro Atlanta) Chapel Hill, NC (In Raleigh/Durham Metro)

Last edited by Taynxtlvl; 11-11-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Well someone just mentioned the area that is currently #1 on my list -- *HINT, HINT*.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:16 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Atlanta or Raleigh?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:08 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
I get why the triangle is first on your list because of all the universities. Good career choice. But your OP mentions kayaking, which I presume is a minor consideration. Hiking is not the best, but you do have the ocean nearby as compensation.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:37 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
After 27 years in Pennsylvania, 13 years in Seattle, WA and 7 years in Buffalo, NY (where I am now) I am finally looking to move somewhere sunnier and warmer in 2015. I am very tired of the cold and snow!

I think I have it narrowed down after several visits and lots of questions to forum members, as well as internet research.

That said, I am still open to suggestions.

I have some criteria (and instead of responding with "you'll never find a place like this", please just don't respond if that is your opinion; it's not helpful).

1.) At worst a short and mild Winter (i.e., having little annual snow, and average daytime temperatures between 40-50 degrees, with the occasional cold snap is just fine). 4 seasons are great too, as long as Winter is mild. NOTE: I would MUCH rather be warm or hot than I would cold, and I tend to be happiest in sunnier places. I don't care about humid vs. dry heat.

2.) Affordable (i.e., I want to be able to rent a 1-BR apartment for $850-900 a month or less). While I prefer walkable neighborhoods/areas with amenities like coffee shops and grocery stores, I have a car and driving is fine too.

3.) Either is or is close to (within 30-60 minutes) a "larger" metropolitan area (i.e., the population is 200,000 people or more - up to the millions) and within an hour or two at most of an airport.

4.) Offers access to great outdoor activities; hiking, running, swimming, kayaking, biking, etc. I'm active!

5.) Offers access to a decent student population (i.e., colleges and universities) since I'm a professor with a student-based consulting business.

Thoughts? Ideas? Input?

THANKS!
If it's already first on your list (I'm making the assumption I'm correct!) I would say you can't go wrong with Chapel Hill or neighboring Carrboro. The seasons are very equally distributed and neither Summer or Winter reach the extremes of most areas of the country. Sunshine is above average in my opinion, as I lived there for several years and am originally from Florida, and have also lived in DC and Philadelphia. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is quite affordable for most and your price range is pretty spot on in terms of desirable places to live. Durham is nearby and what you can't find in Chapel Hill or Carrboro will be found in Durham which offers a top-flight food scene ( a few NY Times mentions) and excellent cultural amenities as well (google the Durham Performing Arts Center and American Dance Festival). RDU airport is 30 minutes away and offers plenty of service to most anywhere you'll need to travel with a good number of nonstop flights. Outdoor recreation opportunity is very plentiful with a good number of hiking/running trails (fairly non-rigorous though the mountains are two hours away) with both swimming and kayaking in nearby Jordan Lake and bike lanes/trails all over the place. Duke Forest is a really nice area to get out and hike/bike/walk in. Lastly of course you have UNC and Duke in close proximity as well as NCCU in Durham (an HBCU) and Durham Tech Community College, plus a decent commute to either Alamance CC in Graham or Central Carolina CC in Pittsboro.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:36 PM
ZTM

57 posts, read 78,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
This is a great post.

I lack substantial experience with the SE, but my suspicion is that if one is OK with carving out a like minded sub-community within the socially conservative and Christian fundamentalist culture that places like Athens, GA, parts of TN or even South Carolina (Greenville? Charleston?) may work. Being part of a campus community puts one in contact with individuals that are not necessarily from the area and may not share in the overarching ideology / set of values.
Greenville has HORRIBLE air quality and high crime. How about las Cruces, NM. It's only 100K, but meets the other criteria

Old 11-12-2014, 04:09 PM

Default You Got It!

The Triangle - Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill!

After a year of research and a visit, this area comes closest to offering year-round comfortable outdoor living (I like to be outside -- and while I'd much rather be hot than cold any day -- when it's too hot that's almost as bad as being too cold), many great colleges and universities, affordable housing, and it's close to the ocean and other great areas and cities (like Charlotte, Asheville, and Georgia, South Carolina and Virginia). Plus it has a growing economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Atlanta or Raleigh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or