U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:47 PM

660 posts, read 810,594 times

Advertisements

After 27 years in Pennsylvania, 13 years in Seattle, WA and 7 years in Buffalo, NY (where I am now) I am finally looking to move somewhere sunnier and warmer in 2015. I am very tired of the cold and snow!

I think I have it narrowed down after several visits and lots of questions to forum members, as well as internet research.

That said, I am still open to suggestions.

I have some criteria (and instead of responding with "you'll never find a place like this", please just don't respond if that is your opinion; it's not helpful).

1.) At worst a short and mild Winter (i.e., having little annual snow, and average daytime temperatures between 40-50 degrees, with the occasional cold snap is just fine). 4 seasons are great too, as long as Winter is mild. NOTE: I would MUCH rather be warm or hot than I would cold, and I tend to be happiest in sunnier places. I don't care about humid vs. dry heat.

2.) Affordable (i.e., I want to be able to rent a 1-BR apartment for $850-900 a month or less). While I prefer walkable neighborhoods/areas with amenities like coffee shops and grocery stores, I have a car and driving is fine too.

3.) Either is or is close to (within 30-60 minutes) a "larger" metropolitan area (i.e., the population is 200,000 people or more - up to the millions) and within an hour or two at most of an airport.

4.) Offers access to great outdoor activities; hiking, running, swimming, kayaking, biking, etc. I'm active!

5.) Offers access to a decent student population (i.e., colleges and universities) since I'm a professor with a student-based consulting business.

Thoughts? Ideas? Input?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 05:59 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,033,050 times
Tucson or Tempe Arizona would be two college towns at the other end of the weather spectrum from where you're at now. The outdoor activities you mention are pretty popular here and you can rent a house here for $900 a month.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:16 AM

Default Arizona

Thanks for the input -- I had a feeing Tucson would come up! :-)

I might consider it (and did look into it in fact), along with Phoenix.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,308 times
I'd consider lots of cities and towns around Tampa-St.Petersburg-Clearwater-Bradenton-Sarasota. Rents however are getting stupid high.

Temps are obviously higher as an average, but you don't need a winter wardrobe either.

That area has Univ of S FL, Eckerd College, New College, HCC, State College of FL, Univ of Tampa. Stetson Law, St. Leo, St. Peteresburg College,LECOM, FL Gulf Coast Univ, and a host of for profits.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:49 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,047,389 times
Thing is, in the US, warm, sunny cities are either prohibitively expensive (e.g., LA, SD, Honolulu); have low-wage service-oriented economics complimented with public educational systems that leave much to be desired (e.g., Miami, Orlando, Phoenix, Vegas, Tucson); or have a polarizing socially conservative, Christian fundamentalist culture/mentality (pretty much the rest of the southern 1/3 of the US). Not too much in between, either, unfortunately.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Default Florida

Thanks Fountain47 -- I have considered these areas. I have spent extensive time in Florida over the years.

I looked at Clearwater specifically as it seems more affordable than say Tampa or Sarasota. I hadn't realized though that there were as many colleges and universities in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain47 View Post
I'd consider lots of cities and towns around Tampa-St.Petersburg-Clearwater-Bradenton-Sarasota. Rents however are getting stupid high.

Temps are obviously higher as an average, but you don't need a winter wardrobe either.

That area has Univ of S FL, Eckerd College, New College, HCC, State College of FL, Univ of Tampa. Stetson Law, St. Leo, St. Peteresburg College,LECOM, FL Gulf Coast Univ, and a host of for profits.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Default I agree!

I've both traveled a lot and researched a lot and have a hard time arguing with any of this 8to32characters.

I have found an area in the South that seems to buck these general trends, though I'm not disclosing it just yet as I would like to see what other ideas people offer.

For a while I was convinced Austin was the answer, but it's gotten pretty expensive, though I still contemplate choosing it over my other possibility.

Someplace like Atlanta could also work I think, but there are similar COL issues . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Thing is, in the US, warm, sunny cities are either prohibitively expensive (e.g., LA, SD, Honolulu); have low-wage service-oriented economics complimented with public educational systems that leave much to be desired (e.g., Miami, Orlando, Phoenix, Vegas, Tucson); or have a polarizing socially conservative, Christian fundamentalist culture/mentality (pretty much the rest of the southern 1/3 of the US). Not too much in between, either, unfortunately.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:46 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Knoxville TN will meet your criteria, assuming 200K is for the metro and not the city proper.

Chattanooga might work if you can live with a smaller airport but better access to ATL. Smaller university, though.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:59 PM

19 posts, read 18,386 times
What about Ventura county area? I love in Santa barbara but it's a lot more expensive then what you are looking to pay rent wise. But Ventura is nice. Still might be a little more expensive. But it's sunny year around with hardly any winter. Lots of kayaking/water sports, hiking as well. An hour north of LA and maybe a little bit long to LAX

Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 PM

Default California

I hadn't honestly considered Ventura County Kb8726 -- I assumed that almost anyplace decent in CA would be too expensive. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb8726 View Post
What about Ventura county area? I love in Santa barbara but it's a lot more expensive then what you are looking to pay rent wise. But Ventura is nice. Still might be a little more expensive. But it's sunny year around with hardly any winter. Lots of kayaking/water sports, hiking as well. An hour north of LA and maybe a little bit long to LAX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or