Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:00 PM
chh chh started this thread

420 posts, read 653,178 times

Advertisements

Counties like this one Daniels County, Montana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and this one Hayes County, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which have lost population in pretty much every Census, make me wonder if any areas in the U.S will eventually lose all or almost all of their population. It could be because rural flight, like those, or because of the only industry there leaving, like this county McDowell County, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. What do you think? Do you think any areas of the U.S. would completely depopulate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 03:12 PM

198 posts, read 259,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Counties like this one Daniels County, Montana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and this one Hayes County, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which have lost population in pretty much every Census, make me wonder if any areas in the U.S will eventually lose all or almost all of their population. It could be because rural flight, like those, or because of the only industry there leaving, like this county McDowell County, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. What do you think? Do you think any areas of the U.S. would completely depopulate?
I don't think so. Though some areas may really thin out, become farmland, etc. I really don't see any region in the US losing it's entire population.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
If this happens, then yes.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
List of ghost towns in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

County statistics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it'd technically be impossible for a county to completely depopulate because it's a level of government. There's got to be some amount of residents to deal with government operations like taxes on land and whatnot. I would imagine if a county government was disbanded due to population loss, its land area would just be merged with adjacent counties thus making it so that there's never a depopulated county in existence.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
No I do not think so. The world is gaining people not losing them. There are some small communities in the Dakotas, Nebraska that are facing serious population loss. Some small towns may disappear, but there will remain some people in the area farming the land. Detroit Michigan is another place with very serious population loss. The city may die, its already an urban nightmare, much of it abandoned and only a fraction of the residents it once had. Will it disappear??? doubtful, too many people in its suburbs, which are NOT dead. Eventually as it empties out the surrounding suburbs will begin to redevlope the abandoned areas. In time, maybe lots of time it will grow inward from its suburbs. Land is way to valuable for large areas to depopulate, baring some terrible disaster that renders the area useless.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:19 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this place yet:

Loving County, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2014, 05:15 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No I do not think so. The world is gaining people not losing them. There are some small communities in the Dakotas, Nebraska that are facing serious population loss. Some small towns may disappear, but there will remain some people in the area farming the land. Detroit Michigan is another place with very serious population loss. The city may die, its already an urban nightmare, much of it abandoned and only a fraction of the residents it once had. Will it disappear??? doubtful, too many people in its suburbs, which are NOT dead. Eventually as it empties out the surrounding suburbs will begin to redevlope the abandoned areas. In time, maybe lots of time it will grow inward from its suburbs. Land is way to valuable for large areas to depopulate, baring some terrible disaster that renders the area useless.
Old news...Detroit is far from dead and is coming back. It's fun for some of the haters to hate, but the Downtown area in particular is booming.

Detroit's stealth business boom - Aug. 12, 2013

Detroit Midtown neighborhood is booming | News - Home

Old 11-10-2014, 11:03 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Right, it's unreal that someone could seriously pose the question "(Detroit) may die, its already an urban nightmare, much of it abandoned and only a fraction of the residents it once had. Will it disappear???"

Old 11-10-2014, 11:55 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Old news...Detroit is far from dead and is coming back. It's fun for some of the haters to hate, but the Downtown area in particular is booming.

Detroit's stealth business boom - Aug. 12, 2013

Detroit Midtown neighborhood is booming | News - Home

Ok I guess I should not have used it as an example on CD, LOTs of Detroit cheerleaders on here that don't like statements like mine. However it is often cited as a place with serious population loss, so it is relevant to this thread. Also may I add I have seen Detroit, I saw its abandonment with my own eyes. It is shocking, as is the types of dazed drugged people on the streets. I have also see the "downtown redevelopment" you speak of. The skysrapers are abandoned with broken windows (what other city have you ever seen that in), but yes there is a few blocks of redevelopment. Its what you imagine Bagdads greenzone being like, a small safe protected area that is nicer, surrounded by the abyss. You can call me a hater, or whatever you like but I have seen the place with my own eyes. Nothing you type will refute what my own eyes have seen. Its the most depressing place I have ever seen. I feel sorry for anyone who lives there. Ironically though Detroit has some of the nicest suburbs in the country. The area to the north and west of Detroit is where the center of activity is, that is another world compared to the old Detroit.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:07 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ok I guess I should not have used it as an example on CD, LOTs of Detroit cheerleaders on here that don't like statements like mine. However it is often cited as a place with serious population loss, so it is relevant to this thread. Also may I add I have seen Detroit, I saw its abandonment with my own eyes. It is shocking, as is the types of dazed drugged people on the streets. I have also see the "downtown redevelopment" you speak of. The skysrapers are abandoned with broken windows (what other city have you ever seen that in), but yes there is a few blocks of redevelopment. Its what you imagine Bagdads greenzone being like, a small safe protected area that is nicer, surrounded by the abyss. You can call me a hater, or whatever you like but I have seen the place with my own eyes. Nothing you type will refute what my own eyes have seen. Its the most depressing place I have ever seen. I feel sorry for anyone who lives there. Ironically though Detroit has some of the nicest suburbs in the country. The area to the north and west of Detroit is where the center of activity is, that is another world compared to the old Detroit.
This is completely and laughably inaccurate. You cannot have been to Detroit within the last ten years to have posted something this ridiculous, and if you ever were there, it must have been in the middle of the night.

I am not necessarily a Detroit cheerleader, but I am a truth cheerleader, and the truth is that there are many, many people who are slowly turning Detroit around and deserve credit for that. What they do not deserve is for people who are nowhere near the process and obviously have an ax to grind with the entire state of Michigan to get on internet forums and spew untruths like those above. It is true that Detroit has many beautiful suburbs with much wealth and prosperity. Would wealthy, successful people who could live anywhere stay in Metro Detroit if any of what you posted here was the truth?

The reality is that, while Detroit still has much work to do, large areas have become not only once again livable, but actually quite desirable. There are currently waiting lists for the loft apartments and condos in Midtown and Downtown, and other neighborhoods are seeing urban revival and an influx of people from around the country who want to be part of the exciting rebirth of what was once one of the greatest cities in America. And I can say this because I have actually been there recently and have family who live in some of the beautiful suburbs and have no desire to be anywhere else.

Whenever I read a post like this one, the first thing that comes to mind is, if you're so happy where you moved to, then why do you constantly come on this forum and trash the place that you left? Happy people don't do that. Happy people live and let live and wish others well, regardless of where they choose to live.

Last edited by canudigit; 11-10-2014 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.