Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 07:58 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

I'm going to try this again--my last post got moved. Guess I didn;t hrase things correctly.

In which cities do people share houses? Is this more popular in cities like NYC or LA, or can you find people living this way in cities across the US? Is sharing a house considered the way to get a great place in the city for low $$$?

I'm amazed at the number of young people who are living at home in their 20s. They seem so miserable. It doesn't matter if you're in the city or the country, in the north or the south--after about age 18 you want to be on your own.

Like most kids, I hated where my parents lived, too. I couldn't wait to get out of Liberty City (part of the city of Miami--not the greatest neighborhood). Anyway, I took off at 17 but it wasn't that hard because back then everyone was getting together with 8-10 other people and renting houses. We'd have 2 people per bedroom. (Sometimes romantic entanglements would crop up, and we'd have to switch bedrooms!)

I thought it was a great way to live--a great way to make friends, and there was always something interesting going on and people to do things with. Everything was relatively communal, so you didn't need to own a couch or tv, etc. You could live really cheaply. But when I suggest this plan to my nephew they look at me like I'm crazy (or quaint, which is almost as bad).

Do people do this anymore? Because having a bunch of roommates in a cool house in the city sure seems more fun that living with your parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm going to try this again--my last post got moved. Guess I didn;t hrase things correctly.

In which cities do people share houses? Is this more popular in cities like NYC or LA, or can you find people living this way in cities across the US? Is sharing a house considered the way to get a great place in the city for low $$$?

I'm amazed at the number of young people who are living at home in their 20s. They seem so miserable. It doesn't matter if you're in the city or the country, in the north or the south--after about age 18 you want to be on your own.

Like most kids, I hated where my parents lived, too. I couldn't wait to get out of Liberty City (part of the city of Miami--not the greatest neighborhood). Anyway, I took off at 17 but it wasn't that hard because back then everyone was getting together with 8-10 other people and renting houses. We'd have 2 people per bedroom. (Sometimes romantic entanglements would crop up, and we'd have to switch bedrooms!)

I thought it was a great way to live--a great way to make friends, and there was always something interesting going on and people to do things with. Everything was relatively communal, so you didn't need to own a couch or tv, etc. You could live really cheaply. But when I suggest this plan to my nephew they look at me like I'm crazy (or quaint, which is almost as bad).

Do people do this anymore? Because having a bunch of roommates in a cool house in the city sure seems more fun that living with your parents.
DC is a city where it is popular for a decent number of 20-30 somethings to live in group homes. Unlike the college set, it usually involves 4 or 5 total strangers living together, with a new person renting a room whenever someone moves out.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:23 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
I've lived alone in condos or apartments since I was 19 (second year in college). The first year in the dorm, with roommate, was too much (although he was a decent guy).

Living with roommates seems to be very common in places like NYC or Chicago. Twenty-somethings in the Cleveland and Detroit areas, and likely many others, live with parents because no one can find a job worth a damn.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:56 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
around here college students will often live with roommates but I dunno if it is a trend.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
DC is a city where it is popular for a decent number of 20-30 somethings to live in group homes. Unlike the college set, it usually involves 4 or 5 total strangers living together, with a new person renting a room whenever someone moves out.
Yep, I concur, I lived in several of these group homes when I initially moved to DC. It's a great way to meet people too.

They do not have these group homes on Long Island, when I lived there for almost a year. Tried like heck to find some but no luck. I heard at the time that there's some county law that prohibits it, but if there is I'm not familiar with the statute. I think it's a big mistake on their part, especially in these days of expensive housing.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
This is what most young people do who move to the beach cities south of LA. I think it works better to rent a room in a house that's already established, rather than try to get a place with a bunch of your friends. There seem to be fewer presonality problems--maybe because strangers are better at establishing guidelines.

If you move to Southern California the local papers are full of ads for roommates. Churches and community organizations have notices, too.

Just don't develop "Three's Company Syndrome." It's easy to share a co-ed house, but the female roommates are not going to parade around in negligees.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:17 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
NYC has a lot. I know a family in the Bronx that lives with other families... Same kitchen, bathroom, living room, everything. Just to pay rent in this extremely expensive city.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 AM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times
I think a lot of younger people today have always had their own rooms and don't want to share with another person. I know my 23 year old daughter feels this way--she lives at home and has her own room and would only share a place if she could have her own room. I know that I didn't grow up with as many amenities, so I wasn't that picky at her age. Even at college, most of the time, she had her own private room.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:35 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

LA and NY.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:51 AM

21 posts, read 153,299 times
Well, in Chicago I used to share my room. I had an Asian for a roommate, it was real fun trying to understand him. But we were great friends and we do still meet up once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.