U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:09 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,487,723 times

Advertisements

really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 12:17 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,753,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Where do the largest group of citizens in Las Vegas come from?

Where does Las Vegas get its gas? Its aviation fuel? From where are its grocery stores stocked? Its Dept Stores? To what location do the Las Vegas warehouses distribute?

You are getting fooled by the 4 hour trip. But the trucks make a round trip each day. Close 15 and Las Vegas starts to run out of everything in a week.
So, by your logic, any city that's the main distribution hub for it's given region makes it's entire region a "suburb"? But somehow I'm the one "getting fooled" by hundreds of miles of open, undeveloped land not being continuous suburbia?

Give me some of whatever you're smoking.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:23 PM

368 posts, read 399,153 times
I've also heard Phoenix referred to as the easternmost suburb of LA as well as the westernmost suburb of Chicago. They are more like expressions than anything else, not to be taken literally.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I've also heard Phoenix referred to as the easternmost suburb of LA as well as the westernmost suburb of Chicago. They are more like expressions than anything else, not to be taken literally.
He seems serious enough about it though. His words:

Quote:
And Las Vegas is actually the most eastern suburb of Los Angeles.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,797,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
So, by your logic, any city that's the main distribution hub for it's given region makes it's entire region a "suburb"? But somehow I'm the one "getting fooled" by hundreds of miles of open, undeveloped land not being continuous suburbia?

Give me some of whatever you're smoking.
You are entitled to your opinion.

The place reeks of So. CA. The housing style and tract construction. The laws...

Ohh there are some great differences...taxes for one...but lots of similarities and dependencies.

But it is still a fair observation as you try to understand Las Vegas.

Phoenix is quite different and no where near as dependent on anywhere else.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:52 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,745,743 times
Quote:

But geographically they are hopelessly southwestern and draw water from the Colorado. That makes you hard core southwestern.

The dwellers in So CA can think whatever they like...but they still drink Colorado River Water.
New Mexicans do not drink Colorado River water. Does that mean New Mexico is not the Southwest?

Also, if I drink bottled water from France am I Franco-American?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,797,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
New Mexicans do not drink Colorado River water. Does that mean New Mexico is not the Southwest?

Also, if I drink bottled water from France am I Franco-American?
It is a parameter that tends to include a state. Geography is the key one and both Southern CA and New Mexico are obviously in the SW.

I would put it more that Southern CA attempts to remove themselves from the obvious geography. The Colorado River water is a counter argument to that view.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:

The place reeks of So. CA. The housing style and tract construction. The laws...

Ohh there are some great differences...taxes for one...but lots of similarities and dependencies.

Oh, I see. So similar housing styles (which is really only similar with the actual suburbs of L.A. and not L.A. proper) and construction makes Los Angeles and Las Vegas part of the same metro. Got it.

By the way, the laws are actually very different between the two, but why let that pesky little fact get in the way?

I would continue to make a list of the vast differences, but to most people who are familiar with that part of the country it would be extremely redundant and unnecessary. I guess I'll just have to change my definitions of what constitutes "suburbs" from now on. From here on out, the cities of Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa are all part of the DFW metroplex... Boston, Philly, D.C., Baltimore, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh are all suburbs of NYC... the entire Upper Midwest is Chicagoland... Portland and Spokane are suburbs of Seattle... and the entire Southeast is metro Atlanta. Right.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:08 PM

353 posts, read 511,711 times
Quote:

I don't know. Phoenix has always had a SoCal influence as well. The housing and construction style you mention is also similar in Phoenix. I think you could consider the Inland Empire, Vegas, and Phoenix as some sort of megaregion. There is a lot interaction between the 3 areas. I think Phoenix is way more connected to Vegas and LA than it is Albuquerque or El Paso or any cities that are considered classically Southwestern. However all 3 cities have their differences too. LA has deeper roots and is more established. I think Vegas and Phoenix are more transient. If fact away from the strip it is really hard to tell Vegas and many parts of Phoenix apart.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
I don't know. Phoenix has always had a SoCal influence as well. The housing and construction style you mention is also similar in Phoenix. I think you could consider the Inland Empire, Vegas, and Phoenix as some sort of megaregion. There is a lot interaction between the 3 areas. I think Phoenix is way more connected to Vegas and LA than it is Albuquerque or El Paso or any cities that are considered classically Southwestern. However all 3 cities have their differences too. LA has deeper roots and is more established. I think Vegas and Phoenix are more transient. If fact away from the strip it is really hard to tell Vegas and many parts of Phoenix apart.
Thank you. One word can make all the difference.

"Megaregion" =/= "suburb"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or