U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 5,524 times

Advertisements

Eventually, will everyone live in the Southwest? Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:30 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times
Eventually, the sun will swell up to about 20 times the size it is now and engulf the entire planet into a fiery, hellish abyss. My guess is that humans will already be long gone extinct by then, and there won't be anyone left to care about which region the majority of the U.S. population lives in.

That's if we don't annihilate ourselves in a nuclear war first, or run out of fresh drinking water, or die off from some new worldwide plague, or get hit by a comet, or, or, or... (insert your favorite end-time apocalyptic scenario here).

In other words, who cares?

Old 11-11-2014, 04:52 PM

6,879 posts, read 6,204,892 times
It really doesn't matter what constitutes "the Southwest" or whether New Mexicans get their water out of the Rio Grande instead of the Colorado, or whether Las Vegas is a suburb of Los Angeles, or whether Southern Californians eat fish tacos instead of hatch green chiles or Arizona cheese crisps.

The bottom line is this. If they can figure out how to get more water to the area the answer will be "yes". If they can't get more water to the area the answer will be "no".

And if the answer is "no" we are likely to see a reverse migration out of the area when the answer of "no" becomes more apparent.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:48 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,078,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
And Las Vegas is actually the most eastern suburb of Los Angeles.
Yeah, because people make 4 hour commutes to go to work in LA.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:28 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,804,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Yeah, because people make 4 hour commutes to go to work in LA.
I know of a person who did it by air. SW every day.

When I worked in El Segundo we had three guys who commuted in from way west of San Diego by air.

But no it is not commutable. And for most rational people neither is San Bernadine or Riverside

Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 PM

3,764 posts, read 2,577,779 times
I can say with 100% certainty that I will never move to the southwest. So I can say not within my lifetime.

Considering the SW of the country is the one least sustainable for dense population; I'm gonna go with the assumption that no; the other 75% of the contiguous US won't become a vast empty wasteland with everyone crammed into the desert.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I know of a person who did it by air. SW every day.

When I worked in El Segundo we had three guys who commuted in from way west of San Diego by air.

But no it is not commutable. And for most rational people neither is San Bernadine or Riverside
Except San Bernardino and Riverside are actually connected to Greater Los Angeles by uninterrupted development. And even though I think it's an insanely masochistic commute, it is actually pretty common for many people to commute from Berdoo and Riverside to L.A. for work.

However, it's not very common for people to commute from Vegas to L.A. Not common at all. My dad used to fly to NYC from Houston up to twice a week for business (on the company's dime) back in the 70's, and did this for a year straight... but I'm pretty sure no one has ever considered Houston a suburb of NYC.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:31 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,922,501 times
This entire thread makes no sense, NYC is not in the Southwest and its still the biggest US City by far.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
This entire thread makes no sense, NYC is not in the Southwest and its still the biggest US City by far.
Yep. And really, only one of the top 10 largest cities in the nation is in the Southwest. Unless you're one of those people who slept through 8th grade Geography and think that Southern CA and Texas are part of the Southwest (I know you, personally, are not. Just saying).

The idea that somehow, some day, the nation's population will concentrate itself entirely within it's most unsustainable region and abandon the rest of the country in order to do this... is a concept so utterly ludicrous that it could ONLY be cooked up in these forums.

C-D: it's a whole different kind of "reality". A really "special" one at that.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,922,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yep. And really, only one of the top 10 largest cities in the nation is in the Southwest. Unless you're one of those people who slept through 8th grade Geography and think that Southern CA and Texas are part of the Southwest (I know you, personally, are not. Just saying).

The idea that somehow, some day, the nation's population will concentrate itself entirely within it's most unsustainable region and abandon the rest of the country in order to do this... is a concept so utterly ludicrous that it could ONLY be cooked up in these forums.

C-D: it's a whole different kind of "reality". A really "special" one at that.
I have noticed they do have a lot of stupid people on this site and people are are homers about their own city or state and can't face reality. It must be sad to live in a world where you cannot face reality so you make up excuses that fit your needs. Sad world we live in today but not shocking. I agree with you thou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or