U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 5,415 times

Advertisements

Wow - thank you guys so much! Hubby HATES humidity and loves snow, I don't mind the snow so much, but the dreary weather just really gets to me and my son. I am def going to check out all of your suggestions! We are looking for a house that is less than $1 million, so LA would be out for us. Thank you for all of your awesome suggestions. I will begin my research on schools now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 01:22 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Perhaps Franklin TN outside of Nashville would be a good fit.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:31 PM

41 posts, read 31,726 times
Detroit, because there would be lots of abandoned buildings to explore.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfLifeFan88 View Post
Detroit, because there would be lots of abandoned buildings to explore.
They want less cold/snow and gloomy weather.

I'd say Denver if you can put up with occasional bouts of humidity/extreme heat in summer, unpredictable weather, or occasional bouts of extremely cold and snowy weather in winter. It gets 4 distinct seasons, but is sunny and winters aren't as harsh as the Midwest or Northeast, from my understanding. Perhaps Utah would be another great area.

Otherwise, Atlanta. Even though the summers are humid and hot, it's affordable, so you can spend money on a vacation to somewhere with beautiful summers, such as Seattle or San Diego.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:40 PM

6,569 posts, read 10,290,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
They want less cold/snow and gloomy weather.

I'd say Denver if you can put up with occasional bouts of humidity/extreme heat in summer, unpredictable weather, or occasional bouts of extremely cold and snowy weather in winter. It gets 4 distinct seasons, but is sunny and winters aren't as harsh as the Midwest or Northeast, from my understanding. Perhaps Utah would be another great area.

Otherwise, Atlanta. Even though the summers are humid and hot, it's affordable, so you can spend money on a vacation to somewhere with beautiful summers, such as Seattle or San Diego.
OP is coming from Minnesota. Even at its absolute worst the afternoon humidity is around 35% in Denver - and that's a good 10-25% lower than the Upper Midwest, Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, and Gulf Coast regions. The dew point in Denver is rarely above 60 degrees (62 is "mildly humid").

Denver can occasionally get into the upper 90s, low 100s (all-time record is 105), but it cools off rapidly at night.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
^^ That's why I said "OCCASIONAL" bouts of extreme heat or humidity--go back and read.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:15 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,450,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
^^ That's why I said "OCCASIONAL" bouts of extreme heat or humidity--go back and read.
It's all good with me (I wasn't the one who responded), but just for clarification's sake, Denver's humidity is about as common as Houston's snow. It'll be almost notable (60+F dewpoint) *at night* about every three or so years for a couple of nights in June. Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend Denver to OP anyway.

It's probably going to be hard to top MN's public schools, but settling on a thriving city with a more highly educated populace and no clouds should work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or