U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 03:00 PM

22 posts, read 7,752 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to a city in the southwest that will present a decent amount of opportunity in the various tech fields. Computer programming, Systems Administrator. These are positions I am after, any recommendations, especially in New Mexico or Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 07:27 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,036,187 times
Chandler Arizona and tech jobs keeps coming up in the Phoenix forum.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 PM

300 posts, read 327,620 times
Any city in the Phoenix Metro.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:22 PM

150 posts, read 195,007 times
I split my time between Silicon Valley and Albuquerque, and I have to say I think Albuquerque is a hidden gem. It's quirkier and more progressive than Arizona, and there's a surprising amount of outdoor stuff to do – gorgeous hikes including a stunning waterfall within 30 minutes, tons of bicycle trails, great skiing within a few hours (Taos), and there's even a river that runs through the middle of the city. Night life is a bit tame, but people are super friendly so it's easy to meet people and develop a circle of friends. Job market is still a bit tight there at the moment, but you only need one job. Can't hurt to apply. University of New Mexico is top-tier in computer science and medicine, so you can find cutting edge tech and biotech there.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 PM

150 posts, read 195,007 times
I split my time between Silicon Valley and Albuquerque, and I have to say I think Albuquerque is a hidden gem. It's quirkier and more progressive than Arizona, and there's a surprising amount of outdoor stuff to do gorgeous hikes including a stunning waterfall within 30 minutes, tons of bicycle trails, great skiing within a few hours (Taos), and there's even a river that runs through the middle of the city. Night life is a bit tame, but people are super friendly so it's easy to meet people and develop a circle of friends. Job market is still a bit tight there at the moment, but you only need one job. Can't hurt to apply. University of New Mexico is top-tier in computer science and medicine, so you can find cutting edge tech and biotech there.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:18 PM

22 posts, read 7,752 times
Oh great suggestions! Thanks so much. It's great to have a few places to key in on. Especially if I'm going to go visit, everything is so spread out I don't want to miss anything.

While I'm working and gaining experience I'm looking to see where I can work my way in. Cheaper homes, better climate and beautiful views are hard to ignore.

Are there any other good tech cities that offer warm weather (drier the better) and good opportunities for a Junior / slightly above entry level candidate?

Old 11-24-2014, 06:20 PM

1,590 posts, read 2,019,046 times
Chandler, Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Tempe, Arizona
Rio Rancho, New Mexico

All the Arizona cities are very warm year round. It does get cold in Rio Rancho, but I suspect that winters really aren't terrible and the rest of year is pretty mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or