U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:26 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Um, ok? Sooo... how does that make these two regions any more similar than they would be to any other region in America? Last I heard, people celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July in all 50 states, and they eat burgers, pizza, hot dogs, and tacos too.

Well that's the thing, neither of these regions are really that unique other than some minor things here and there. we are just discussing the similarities between the Pacific Northwest and New England.

One thing that is similar between these two regions that are unique to most of the country (except the south) is how green the cities are... Boston, Seattle and Portland are all full of legit nature with in the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 08:49 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
One thing that is similar between these two regions that are unique to most of the country (except the south) is how green the cities are... Boston, Seattle and Portland are all full of legit nature with in the city limits.
Your avatar says you live in Minnesota. I've been to Minnesota. The twin cities were pretty green from what I saw, and that's one of the drier metros in the Upper Midwest. Chicago suburbs are very green, as are Detroit suburbs and just about every other major Midwestern city.

In fact, the only regions I can think of where the cities aren't very green are the desert Southwest, Southern CA, and whatever cities there are in the Great Plains. Everywhere else in America the cities are pretty darn green, unless you're in some big, dense, urban core with streetwalls.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Your avatar says you live in Minnesota. I've been to Minnesota. The twin cities were pretty green from what I saw, and that's one of the drier metros in the Upper Midwest. Chicago suburbs are very green, as are Detroit suburbs and just about every other major Midwestern city.

In fact, the only regions I can think of where the cities aren't very green are the desert Southwest, Southern CA, and whatever cities there are in the Great Plains. Everywhere else in America the cities are pretty darn green, unless you're in some big, dense, urban core with streetwalls.
Idk man, yes everything is green but look at these random Portland streets.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Po...36b9e6f6d18591

Now check out the suburbs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5324...qnHmtMO3Vg!2e0

Pretty green if you ask me, everything is just so lush, green and beautiful...

Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Idk man, yes everything is green but look at these random Portland streets.

Now check out the suburbs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5324...qnHmtMO3Vg!2e0

Pretty green if you ask me, everything is just so lush, green and beautiful...
Yes, it is. I know. I've been there many, many times. I live in WA.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:37 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,462,157 times
Quote:
I'm looking into more mainstream culture, you seem to be digging deep into local traditions which really aren't that popular. Culture - they all celebrate the same holidays... (cuisine, sports, music also technically being part of culture).... Cuisine - there may be some local dishes here and there but mostly people are just eating the same stuff, burgers, pizza, tacos, hot dogs, chips and salsa. Sports - they mostly watch the same sports but fans from New England seem to be more hardcore and passionate..
You seem to be overlooking Patriots Day- that's a pretty big holiday in New England. Even if it's only officially observed in MA, it's the date of the Marathon and a Sox day game, so you get people from all over New England heading into the city. (Also a big sign that spring has arrived, even if it still might snow 1-2 more times in the northern states)

And I agree with Bob, if you're going to say that people everywhere eat burgers, live in roofed homes, and think Taylor Swift is the height of lyrical expression, then you're talking about things that are common across the country if not the continent. At which point, there's no point in saying there are regional differences anywhere.

Yes, you can get almost anything (music, cuisine, etc.) in any big city, but in a broad view the PNW is different from the midwest or east. If you blindfolded me and dumped me off in Boston/Hartford vs. Seattle/Portland, I could figure out which region I was in pretty quickly.

Short version: if I look at the nearest major intersection and it doesn't have 1-2 Dunkin Donuts, and cars double parked and/or honking at each other, I'm probably in the PNW.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Short version: if I look at the nearest major intersection and it doesn't have 1-2 Dunkin Donuts, and cars double parked and/or honking at each other, I'm probably in the PNW.
Exactly. And likewise, if you look at the nearest major intersection and it doesn't have a drive-thru Espresso stand and clusters of North Face-clad pedestrians buying mini-donuts, then you're probably NOT in the PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.