U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:44 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,085,065 times

Advertisements

For those who have been to both regions, do you see a lot of similarities between them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
I have lived in New England almost my entire life, and have traveled to Washington and Oregon along the coast. There are some similarities.

The topography is hilly or mountainous, but much more so in the PNW. But there are some parts of western Oregon that look virtually indistinguishable from New England. I drove along U.S. 20 from I-5 to the coast (U.S. 101) and much of it looked exactly like I was in western Massachusetts or something. Lots of green, trees and rugged terrain. Older homes, too. And the occasional farm.

Also, the people in both regions tend to be stand offish.

Both regions get a lot of cloud cover, but obviously more so in the PNW.

Oregon is one of my favorite states ever. It's just that beautiful. Go to Crater Lake and drive along the 101 on the coast. It's stunning.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
For those who have been to both regions, do you see a lot of similarities between them?
Well, they are both heavily forested, but the PNW is more evergreen forests whereas most of New England's forests are dominated by deciduous, broad-leafed trees that shed their foliage in the winter. I've heard that far-Northern Maine is mostly evergreen forest, but most people don't think of far-Northern Maine when they think of New England.

Both have rocky coastlines, though the Washington and Oregon coasts are a bit more dramatic. Both receive a fair amount of cloud cover in the winter, but it's more consistently cloudy in the PNW. Also, PNW winters are much more mild than New England winters. Unless you're up high in the Cascades.

Speaking of the Cascades, there's one really big difference between the two. The Cascades are high, steep, craggy, and volcanic. The mountains in New England are much more rounded off, lower in elevation, not very steep, and haven't seen any tectonic activity in millions of years. Beautiful though. Also, the temperate rainforest of the Olympic peninsula in WA is something that is 100% unique to the PNW.

Culturally and architecturally, they are about as different as it gets.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,085,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have lived in New England almost my entire life, and have traveled to Washington and Oregon along the coast. There are some similarities.

The topography is hilly or mountainous, but much more so in the PNW. But there are some parts of western Oregon that look virtually indistinguishable from New England. I drove along U.S. 20 from I-5 to the coast (U.S. 101) and much of it looked exactly like I was in western Massachusetts or something. Lots of green, trees and rugged terrain. Older homes, too. And the occasional farm.

Also, the people in both regions tend to be stand offish.

Both regions get a lot of cloud cover, but obviously more so in the PNW.

Oregon is one of my favorite states ever. It's just that beautiful. Go to Crater Lake and drive along the 101 on the coast. It's stunning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well, they are both heavily forested, but the PNW is more evergreen forests whereas most of New England's forests are dominated by deciduous, broad-leafed trees that shed their foliage in the winter. I've heard that far-Northern Maine is mostly evergreen forest, but most people don't think of far-Northern Maine when they think of New England.

Both have rocky coastlines, though the Washington and Oregon coasts are a bit more dramatic. Both receive a fair amount of cloud cover in the winter, but it's more consistently cloudy in the PNW. Also, PNW winters are much more mild than New England winters. Unless you're up high in the Cascades.

Speaking of the Cascades, there's one really big difference between the two. The Cascades are high, steep, craggy, and volcanic. The mountains in New England are much more rounded off, lower in elevation, not very steep, and haven't seen any tectonic activity in millions of years. Beautiful though. Also, the temperate rainforest of the Olympic peninsula in WA is something that is 100% unique to the PNW.

How are they culturally different? Don't both have sailor communities?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,032,193 times
Quote:

I don't know Bob, where else in the West would have more similarities to New England? They're both pretty white, literate, and progressive compared to their surrounding regions.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
How are they culturally different? Don't both have sailor communities?
I'm not sure what a "sailor community" is, unless you're talking about gay bars.

Seriously though, they are culturally and architecturally very different regions. They have completely different histories, settlement patterns, and economies. New England's history and settlement is primarily colonial in nature, settled in the 17th century by Puritans and Pilgrims mainly from the UK, whereas the PNW was the last stop of the Westward expansion. The Western end of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Until the 20th century, the PNW was dominated by fur traders and the Timber industry. By then, New England was already near the center of "civilised" society, and dominated by industry.

In more modern times, New England still has a deeply entrenched sense of it's history. And it has a set of different accents. The PNW doesn't really have any identifiable, non-neutral accent. The PNW feels very Western, and New England feels extremely Eastern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
I don't know Bob, where else in the West would have more similarities to New England? They're both pretty white, literate, and progressive compared to their surrounding regions.
Trust me. Spend some time in both regions, and you will definitely see some pretty big differences. Skin color has little to do with it, and outside of the urban islands of Seattle and Portland, the PNW is pretty damn conservative. There's a lot more to culture than race and politics.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Quote:
Very similar.... language, culture, cuisine, sports, lifestyle, politics, music.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Very similar.... language, culture, cuisine, sports, lifestyle, politics, music.
1. Language: Yes. Both regions have English as their primary language. You will never hear anybody in the PNW say "pahk tha caah", unless they are a transplant from Eastern Mass.

2. Culture: read my last post.

3. Cuisine: Lobster and Maple candy aren't exactly regional fare in the PNW. Pacific Salmon and Huckleberries are though.

4. Sports: Good luck finding many public high schools in the PNW that have Lacrosse teams. Also, Hockey is more popular in Texas than it is in WA.

5. Politics: read my last post.

6. Music: Not sure what you're referring to here that would be unique to either region. The PNW is known for Grunge, Indie, and in the 60's it was a hot spot for loud, rowdy Garage-Punk. New England is mainly known for 70's Punk and New Wave bands like the Modern Lovers, the Real Kids, and the Cars. Boston had a strong Alt-Rock scene in the 90's, but I'm struggling to find a strong musical connection between the two regions.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:13 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Quote:
1. Language: Yes. Both regions have English as their primary language. You will never hear anybody in the PNW say "pahk tha caah", unless they are a transplant from Eastern Mass.

2. Culture: read my last post.

3. Cuisine: Lobster and Maple candy aren't exactly regional fare in the PNW. Pacific Salmon and Huckleberries are though.

4. Sports: Good luck finding many public high schools in the PNW that have Lacrosse teams. Also, Hockey is more popular in Texas than it is in WA.

5. Politics: read my last post.

6. Music: Not sure what you're referring to here that would be unique to either region. The PNW is known for Grunge, Indie, and in the 60's it was a hot spot for loud, rowdy Garage-Punk. New England is mainly known for 70's Punk and New Wave bands like the Modern Lovers, the Real Kids, and the Cars. Boston had a strong Alt-Rock scene in the 90's, but I'm struggling to find a strong musical connection between the two regions.
I'm looking into more mainstream culture, you seem to be digging deep into local traditions which really aren't that popular. Culture - they all celebrate the same holidays... (cuisine, sports, music also technically being part of culture).... Cuisine - there may be some local dishes here and there but mostly people are just eating the same stuff, burgers, pizza, tacos, hot dogs, chips and salsa. Sports - they mostly watch the same sports but fans from New England seem to be more hardcore and passionate..
Politics - Both regions vote for the same parties, the Pacific Northwest is Republican but being Republican is not foreign to New England. Music - again pop culture stuff.

The cultural similarities across the United States is both pretty pathetic but quite amazing at the same time.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm looking into more mainstream culture, you seem to be digging deep into local traditions which really aren't that popular. Culture - they all celebrate the same holidays... (cuisine, sports, music also technically being part of culture).... Cuisine - there may be some local dishes here and there but mostly people are just eating the same stuff, burgers, pizza, tacos, hot dogs, chips and salsa. Sports - they mostly watch the same sports but fans from New England seem to be more hardcore and passionate..
Politics - Both regions vote for the same parties, the Pacific Northwest is Republican but being Republican is not foreign to New England. Music - again pop culture stuff.
Um, ok? Sooo... how does that make these two regions any more similar to each other than they would be to any other region in America? Last I heard, people celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July in all 50 states, and they eat burgers, pizza, hot dogs, and tacos too.

Also, Grunge and Indie were/are pretty damn popular. I seem to recall this little band called Nirvana that was all over the place in the 90's. I'm probably a bit older than you, but the Cars were also pretty huge in the late 70's and early 80's. Had more than a few big hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.