U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:04 AM

320 posts, read 474,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'd say Arkansas is more similar to Oklahoma/Missouri than Louisiana/Mississippi to be honest. Virginia is a lot more similar to North Carolina than West Virginia, Maryland, or Delaware. In fact, Virginia and Maryland aren't exactly best of friends according to what I've heard on this site. Tennessee and Kentucky makes sense, maybe West Virginia could be included with those. Maryland/Delaware could join Pennsylvania/New Jersey/New York. To much surprise, I feel like South Carolina is more similar to Georgia than North Carolina. You have the division between Deep and Upper South when it comes to the Carolinas. In this case, I'd put South Carolina with Georgia and North Carolina with Virginia. Overall, I agree with the majority of the map.

Dayum. I gotta explain this again. The reason Arkansas is link to Mississippi and Louisiana is the Delta region. Oklahoma is not in the Delta. The Delta region is the poorest region in the south. For some reason people on C-D don't travel there so they don't know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,278,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Dayum. I gotta explain this again. The reason Arkansas is link to Mississippi and Louisiana is the Delta region. Oklahoma is not in the Delta. The Delta region is the poorest region in the south. For some reason people on C-D don't travel there so they don't know this.
That's true, I guess Arkansas is slightly divided. Eastern and Southern portions of the state, more in common with Mississippi and Louisiana. Western and Northern portions, Oklahoma and Missouri. I still feel like Little Rock has more in common with Tulsa, Oklahoma or Springfield, Missouri as opposed to Jackson, Mississippi or maybe Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I guess we all have different perceptions.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:35 AM

233 posts, read 281,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
20 Stars!

WEST:
Hawaii
Alaska
Washington + Oregon
Montana + Idaho + Wyoming
California + Nevada
Utah + Colorado
Arizona + New Mexico
North Dakota + South Dakota
Nebraska + Kansas
Oklahoma + Texas

EAST:
Minnesota + Wisconsin
Iowa + Missouri + Illinois
Michigan + Indiana + Ohio
New York + Pennsylvania + New Jersey
Vermont + New Hampshire + Maine + Massachusetts + Connecticut + Rhode Island
West Virginia + Virginia + Maryland + Delaware
Kentucky + Tennessee
North Carolina + South Carolina
Arkansaw + Louisiana + Mississippi
Alabama + Georgia + Florida
Finally someone who got the East-West divide correctly and didn't define it by the Mississippi River!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:17 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,401,553 times
Quote:
I'd say Arkansas is more similar to Oklahoma/Missouri than Louisiana/Mississippi to be honest. Virginia is a lot more similar to North Carolina than West Virginia, Maryland, or Delaware. In fact, Virginia and Maryland aren't exactly best of friends according to what I've heard on this site. Tennessee and Kentucky makes sense, maybe West Virginia could be included with those. Maryland/Delaware could join Pennsylvania/New Jersey/New York. To much surprise, I feel like South Carolina is more similar to Georgia than North Carolina. You have the division between Deep and Upper South when it comes to the Carolinas. In this case, I'd put South Carolina with Georgia and North Carolina with Virginia. Overall, I agree with the majority of the map.
I thought grouping SC with Georgia made more sense too.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Status: "They say progress but I see degeneracy." (set 14 hours ago)

1,246 posts, read 586,988 times
On a whole, GA has more in common with SC with Charleston and Savannah, that low country/gullah culture, and plus these are two of the Original 13....why wouldn't they be more similar?

Oh and add in parts of FLA too.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,278,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
On a whole, GA has more in common with SC with Charleston and Savannah, that low country/gullah culture, and plus these are two of the Original 13....why wouldn't they be more similar?

Oh and add in parts of FLA too.
Definitely for the most part. The Upstate isn't too Deep South and has more in common with North Carolina IMO, but the rest of the state is definitely more similar to Georgia.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:27 PM

320 posts, read 474,788 times
Quote:
That's true, I guess Arkansas is slightly divided. Eastern and Southern portions of the state, more in common with Mississippi and Louisiana. Western and Northern portions, Oklahoma and Missouri. I still feel like Little Rock has more in common with Tulsa, Oklahoma or Springfield, Missouri as opposed to Jackson, Mississippi or maybe Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I guess we all have different perceptions.
Little Rock has more in common with Memphis. Little Rock has more in common with Shreveport than Tulsa. When I make a comment on the south it's from LIVING there not visiting. I've lived in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and I still live in Georgia. And yes I've lived in Oklahoma too.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 PM

6,270 posts, read 6,398,332 times
Pennsylvania and NJ cannot mix. NJ with NY maybe. NJ with Philly could work, but not all of PA. Ohio and PA except for Philly can mix.

Maryland and DE can mix, but not with PA or NJ or NY.

You can probably get away with NJ and NY with NE though, and French Canada.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:38 PM

363 posts, read 619,295 times
Can you take parts of states? In all honesty I think you could have a state based around Kansas City and Omaha which would be Iowa west of the Des Moines suburbs and south of Sioux City eastern Nebraska (I define east as anything east of highway 281) Eastern Kansas north of Pittsburg and Western Missouri north of Joplin and Springfield. To me this region all seems pretty similar. you can add extreme southeast South dakota to that too. To me Nebraska west of about North Platte doesn't seem to culturally fit though they are proud nebraskans too

Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,981,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Pennsylvania and NJ cannot mix. NJ with NY maybe. NJ with Philly could work, but not all of PA. Ohio and PA except for Philly can mix.

Maryland and DE can mix, but not with PA or NJ or NY.

You can probably get away with NJ and NY with NE though, and French Canada.
Delaware has more in common with Pennsylvania than Maryland.

New York and New Jersey probably have the strongest interstate relationship in the country.

And New England hates New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or