U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How provincial is my family?
Very provincial. Everyone STILL in the same county for 60 years...really?!? 6 25.00%
Normal. Some have migrated to other states; most have stayed home. 11 45.83%
Not provincial at all. They travel and some move away permanently. 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:04 AM

2,030 posts, read 2,377,537 times

Advertisements

My immediate relatives live and or have lived in the following....

Illinois, California, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, New York Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, West Virginia, Colorado, Oregon, Alabama...and Wyoming.

Mom's side has been in the country since, well befor is was a country..late 1600's and Dad's side since 1720.

We all seem to get around

The Beach Boys - I Get Around - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM

31 posts, read 36,334 times
Some of my Irish ancestors immigrated to Boston in the 1850s and have been there or within 20 miles of Boston ever since then. I'm not sure if it's all by choice or not. Up until the baby boomer generation, they were poor and from what I know, it was unusual for them to finish high school. My grandma left school at age 13 so she could start working as a maid, and my grandfather likewise didn't finish high school. Their families probably couldn't have afforded to move even if they had wanted to.

Another branch of my family is French-Canadian. They came to VT sometime in the late 19th century, and then to MA by the 1920s. Some branches (most of my own) are still in MA, but others moved to MD and FL in the 1960s.

Almost all of my close relatives live in Boston or very nearby. However, the GenX and Millennial generation is much more dispersed. With more opportunities for education and mostly middle-class backgrounds, my generation has had a lot more choices than our parents.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 AM

5,837 posts, read 10,856,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I come from a 100% Italian (Sicilian) family. They migrated from Italy to the U.S. in the 1950's and shortly thereafter settled in Hartford, CT. I'm talking both sides of the family (grandparents). They lived in Hartford's south end (the formerly Italian section) for maybe 15-20 years, worked hard, saved money and bought a house. One set of grandparents bought a house in West Hartford; the other in Newington (both immediate suburbs of Hartford). The grandparents that bought their house in West Hartford are STILL there today, since 1973. But the other grandparents bought their house in Newington left and moved to Florida in the late 1980s. We visit them every 1-2 years.

My parents, in their early 20's, who also grew up in the Hartford area, decided to move to Plattsburgh, NY to start a mink farm. But about two years later, they gave birth to me and decided to move back to Hartford, CT. So they did, and bought a house. They saved money and later moved to Rocky Hill, a close suburb of Hartford. In the meantime, my dad's brother moved to Florida to be with his parents (my grandparents), and they gave birth and raised three kids down there in the Tampa area. Also, in the meantime, my mother's side of the family (my 3 aunts) all stayed in the Hartford area, got married bought houses in Hartford County and got great jobs. But ONE aunt decided to move to San Diego at the age of 30. She lived in San Diego for 17 years, but then moved back to West Hartford, CT in 2011 for family reasons. In 1996, my parents moved from Rocky Hill to Granby, which is an exurb of Hartford, but still in Hartford County. Our relatives thought we were crazy for moving "WAY OUT in the country," even though it was like a 25 minute drive from Hartford LOL. I lived with them during all four years of college and commuted to UConn. I graduated and started my career in NYC. But after two years I got homesick and moved back to Hartford County, CT.

My first sibling also went to UConn, got a great job in Hartford and bought a house in Windsor Locks, a suburb of Hartford. My next two siblings both went to University of Hartford. One of them just moved out to Wisconsin to start a job with a great company. The other still lives with parents and commutes to college from Granby.

One of my cousins moved out to New Mexico twenty years ago and loves it and is staying. Another distant cousin just moved out to Sacramento for family reasons (her husbands' mother lives there and needs care).

Now I live in Fairfield County, CT and would love to move back to Hartford County, just 60 miles northeast of here, because it's a different world and I miss it. My parents are on their 3rd house within the Town of Granby and love it.

So, here we are 60 years later since my grandparents migrated from Italy and as it stands, virtually everyone STILL lives in Hartford County, CT, with the exception of the grandparents and cousins that have been living in the Tampa Bay area for 30 years now, and one cousin in New Mexico, and one brother in Wisconsin, and me in Fairfield County, CT.

As far as travel goes, I have been to 42 states and travel is VERY important to me. And I am considering moving away from CT as we speak. My parents have a beach house near New London, CT and a vacation home in Ormond Beach, Florida. They ONLY take vacations to Florida and nowhere else, except on rare occasion. But they have expressed some interest in traveling to Europe and Canada.

So.....you tell me.....just how provincial is my family? Is this typical? Or is it weird? What about YOUR family?

My family in CT consists of entirely Italians who are Catholic and ultra conservative Republicans who often show signs of racism and disdain for minorities at times. They are also wealthy and hate Barack Obama and think that everything is Obama's fault. But my family in Florida is more liberal and votes Democrat.
This sounds relateable and familiar in regards to my family, although the details are obviously quite different. (BTW: Grew up in a Polish American extended family in the Chicago suburbs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or