U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How provincial is my family?
Very provincial. Everyone STILL in the same county for 60 years...really?!? 6 25.00%
Normal. Some have migrated to other states; most have stayed home. 11 45.83%
Not provincial at all. They travel and some move away permanently. 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,135,139 times

Advertisements

I come from a 100% Italian (Sicilian) family. They migrated from Italy to the U.S. in the 1950's and shortly thereafter settled in Hartford, CT. I'm talking both sides of the family (grandparents). They lived in Hartford's south end (the formerly Italian section) for maybe 15-20 years, worked hard, saved money and bought a house. One set of grandparents bought a house in West Hartford; the other in Newington (both immediate suburbs of Hartford). The grandparents that bought their house in West Hartford are STILL there today, since 1973. But the other grandparents bought their house in Newington left and moved to Florida in the late 1980s. We visit them every 1-2 years.

My parents, in their early 20's, who also grew up in the Hartford area, decided to move to Plattsburgh, NY to start a mink farm. But about two years later, they gave birth to me and decided to move back to Hartford, CT. So they did, and bought a house. They saved money and later moved to Rocky Hill, a close suburb of Hartford. In the meantime, my dad's brother moved to Florida to be with his parents (my grandparents), and they gave birth and raised three kids down there in the Tampa area. Also, in the meantime, my mother's side of the family (my 3 aunts) all stayed in the Hartford area, got married bought houses in Hartford County and got great jobs. But ONE aunt decided to move to San Diego at the age of 30. She lived in San Diego for 17 years, but then moved back to West Hartford, CT in 2011 for family reasons. In 1996, my parents moved from Rocky Hill to Granby, which is an exurb of Hartford, but still in Hartford County. Our relatives thought we were crazy for moving "WAY OUT in the country," even though it was like a 25 minute drive from Hartford LOL. I lived with them during all four years of college and commuted to UConn. I graduated and started my career in NYC. But after two years I got homesick and moved back to Hartford County, CT.

My first sibling also went to UConn, got a great job in Hartford and bought a house in Windsor Locks, a suburb of Hartford. My next two siblings both went to University of Hartford. One of them just moved out to Wisconsin to start a job with a great company. The other still lives with parents and commutes to college from Granby.

One of my cousins moved out to New Mexico twenty years ago and loves it and is staying. Another distant cousin just moved out to Sacramento for family reasons (her husbands' mother lives there and needs care).

Now I live in Fairfield County, CT and would love to move back to Hartford County, just 60 miles northeast of here, because it's a different world and I miss it. My parents are on their 3rd house within the Town of Granby and love it.

So, here we are 60 years later since my grandparents migrated from Italy and as it stands, virtually everyone STILL lives in Hartford County, CT, with the exception of the grandparents and cousins that have been living in the Tampa Bay area for 30 years now, and one cousin in New Mexico, and one brother in Wisconsin, and me in Fairfield County, CT.

As far as travel goes, I have been to 42 states and travel is VERY important to me. And I am considering moving away from CT as we speak. My parents have a beach house near New London, CT and a vacation home in Ormond Beach, Florida. They ONLY take vacations to Florida and nowhere else, except on rare occasion. But they have expressed some interest in traveling to Europe and Canada.

So.....you tell me.....just how provincial is my family? Is this typical? Or is it weird? What about YOUR family?

My family in CT consists of entirely Italians who are Catholic and ultra conservative Republicans who often show signs of racism and disdain for minorities at times. They are also wealthy and hate Barack Obama and think that everything is Obama's fault. But my family in Florida is more liberal and votes Democrat.

Last edited by nep321; 11-11-2014 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:37 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,838,588 times
Much more provincial than mine, although probably much more normal. My family is pretty spread out over the US, which I actually like because when one of us visits another, we do fun stuff instead of boring everyday stuff.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 AM

15,529 posts, read 17,755,782 times
'Norwalk to Harford is a different world'. Yup, you are provincial :-)

I think one can be provincial, but not close minded, though. And it is a sophisticated thing to be. Grounded in one's regional heritage and tradition but balanced by an interest in other places, other people and zest for travel do a lot to make a truly interesting person. I wish I had firmer roots. I'd rather hang out with a provincial person than a 'third culture kid'.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:40 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,135,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
'Norwalk to Harford is a different world'. Yup, you are provincial :-)

I think one can be provincial, but not close minded, though. And it is a sophisticated thing to be. Grounded in one's regional heritage and tradition but balanced by an interest in other places, other people and zest for travel do a lot to make a truly interesting person. I wish I had firmer roots. I'd rather hang out with a provincial person than a 'third culture kid'.
Well it is a different world between Norwalk and Hartford lol. It was a big adjustment for me, that's for sure.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,395,894 times
I have family all over the place but they're pretty settled wherever they are-whether that's Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois, California, Ireland or England.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM

7,310 posts, read 15,363,150 times
Recently did a genealogy thing up on Ancestry.com - my family came to the US and Canada in the early to late 1700s and immediately started moving. Far too long ago to retain any "ethnic" or "home land" identity. The family names are English, Scottish, Irish, French, Swiss, Hungarian, German, Italian, Spanish. There is some Native American in there as well as some Mexican.

As a child we lived in 7 states, my mother's family lived in 4 states, my father's family in 3. I have about 11 first cousins and I think they cover 6 states and a couple European countries. As an adult I have lived in 3 states, although mainly just in Oregon, but I have lived in 3 very different parts of the state.

We tend to follow jobs and other family members without a deep connection to place - but then we are several generations removed from being a farming family, which requires the "place."

Old 11-12-2014, 05:36 PM

32,394 posts, read 59,880,407 times
My dad's family - his brothers and sisters, their children, and his first cousins - all still live in and around Pittsburgh. My dad, and my grandmother's youngest sister, were the only ones who moved away. My great-aunt's children and grandchildren live in Ohio and Kentucky.

My mom's family has scattered to the four winds. Her father's siblings all emigrated from Italy, and some of them went back; one of his brothers settled in Detroit, one in West Virginia, one in Buffalo. My grandfather moved to Pennsylvania because he had been betrothed to my grandmother before either of them were born, before my grandmother's family left Italy, and he came to the States to marry her. My grandmother's siblings all stayed in the same area, but their grandchildren have moved around the country. My mom's brothers saw the world via the U.S. Armed Forces, and her sisters did as well when they married; the service was a way out of the coal mines. My cousins live from California to Tampa, and from Phoenix to New Hampshire.

I don't think, though, that anyone is necessarily "provincial" because they've lived in the same town for 60 years. It's another story altogether if they've traveled to or are aware of few places outside that town.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,517,002 times
It seems like both sides of my family move somewhere new with every passing generation. Most of my dad's family used to live in California, until they all decided to move to Oregon in the 80s.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:38 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,453,777 times
My family is extremely provincial overall, with a few exceptions. I live an hour east of the "epicenter" of 95% of my family (Grand Rapids, MI), and they think I'm weird for living in a different part of the state.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:23 AM

12,439 posts, read 11,941,006 times
Significantly moreso than mine.

I have very little colonial stock - most of my family is descended from 19th century immigrants to the U.S., with my grandmother's parents coming over in the early 20th century. It's a mixture of German, Irish, English (none of whom seem to be colonial in origin), Swedish, and Sephardic. Many of these ancestors migrated quite a bit before settling down in America. My Swedish great-great-grandfather was a sailor, and saw much of the world. My Sephardic great-great-grandfather, after he left Britain, spent time in South Africa before coming to the U.S. (and hiding his Jewish identity). A lot of my German ancestors were themselves settlers who moved from other parts of Germany into Eastern Europe, and many of my Irish ancestors spent time in Scotland before coming to the U.S.

My father's side of the family mostly migrated to Brooklyn/Queens (and eventually out to Long Island) when they came to the U.S., while my mother's side migrated to Philadelphia. My paternal grandfather was a plumber, and worked for William Levitt through his dad, helping to build out two Levittowns. After helping to build out one in Long Island (and living there for a few years), he moved to Levittown, Pennsylvania (to an identical house!), where my Mom's family (who were "moving on up" from Northeast Philadelphia) also moved when my mom was around 5.

My family moved out of the Philadelphia area when I was three. My father had been working for U.S. Steel doing what would be understood as proto-IT for several years. He was first transferred to NYC and took in the train - a long but doable commute. But when the office relocated to Stamford, CT he felt that we had to move to Connecticut. I spent the first few years up there living in New Fairfield, but from second grade until the end of high school was in Trumbull (all in Fairfield County, for those who don't know the area).

I hated growing up in Connecticut, quite honestly, and couldn't wait to get out. Went to college in Western Massachusetts, with a junior year abroad spent in England. I also spent a summer living in Detroit in my early 20s while doing an internship. After school I lived in Washington DC for around six months, then I lived back in Connecticut (in New Haven, only place in CT I still like) for around a year. Then I moved to Pittsburgh, and have been here for around ten years now.

My older brother has been as itinerant as I have. He went to college in Long Island, and then got a PHD in Indiana. He spent several years living in San Francisco doing a postdoc. You don't get to be very choosy with academic jobs, so he spent several years living in Eastern Tennessee. Now he's living in Louisville, KY and enjoying it much better (although he'd still prefer to be back in San Francisco).

My father passed away at 59 of MS after around 20 years ill. My mother retired early and moved out of Connecticut to Western Massachusetts, where she's been happy, but between recent health issues and wanting to help with the kids, she'll be relocating to Pittsburgh within the next year - likely the last major move of her life.

As to my extended family, most of them are still in the Philadelphia area. I have one cousin who lives in Oakland, CA. Another moved to North Dakota for awhile, but came back. A third moved to DC, but moved back again as well. So I guess my brother and I are more rootless than most of the rest of our relatives.

Honestly, while I like Pittsburgh a lot, just living in the same place for so long is kind of frustrating. We just changed neighborhoods after seven years, which is great, because the monotony of the same house/neighborhood all the time was starting to get to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or