U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Montana is
more like the West Coast 18 37.50%
more like the Midwest 30 62.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:22 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,717,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
This question is like asking if Maryland has more in common with Wisconsin or Arizona...
Not really, since Montana is in between the West Coast and the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
You can have this opinion all you like. For all I care people can believe the moon is made of cheese, the Earth really is flat, and the Easter bunny is real. However, the fact will always remain that any Midwestern traits that Montana supposedly has are so few and insignificant that it really amounts to nothing. Montana has a small hispanic population because it's neither an agricultural hub nor does it have any major cities to attract hispanics into it's meager population. Not to mention it's geographical location. Idaho doesn't have many hispanics either. Should we now start considering Idaho "Midwestern? I live in WA and we have a large German-Scandinavian presence here. Is Washington now "Midwestern" instead of Pacific Northwest?
I think you are the one that sounds defensive. Idaho is about 12% Hispanic, that's a lot to me. Montana is only 3.3% Hispanic. Montana is 14% Scandinavian and 27% German - a total of 41 percent of those ancestry groups. I'd say that's very significant, though it does have a lot of British ancestry as well.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:42 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I think you are the one that sounds defensive. Idaho is about 12% Hispanic, that's a lot to me. Montana is only 3.3% Hispanic. Montana is 14% Scandinavian and 27% German - a total of 41 percent of those ancestry groups. I'd say that's very significant, though it does have a lot of British ancestry as well.
Defensive? I have no reason to be defensive, so no. Sarcastic, yes. There's a difference.

I just don't understand why you want so badly for a place to be something that it isn't? I mean, what is your stake in this? Seriously?

Your reasoning behind all this makes very little sense, either. You still haven't answered my earlier question, which was/is... Have you spent a lot of time in Montana to have formed such a strong opinion about it's regional belonging or cultural identity?

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-16-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 08:42 PM

233 posts, read 281,217 times
The Arid Northwest and the Midwest don't have anything in common. Montana is western but not west coast.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Defensive? I have no reason to be defensive, so no. Sarcastic, yes. There's a difference.

I just don't understand why you want so badly for a place to be something that it isn't? I mean, what is your stake in this? Seriously?

Your reasoning behind all this makes very little sense, either. You still haven't answered my earlier question, which was/is... Have you spent a lot of time in Montana to have formed such a strong opinion about it's regional belonging or cultural identity?
I lived in Montana for 3 years and to me it does not feel like a typical Western state. And I have been all over the West and across the Midwest before. I think MT is a West-Midwest hybrid but to be honest probably has more in common with the Canadian Prairies than anywhere else.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,049 times
Quote:
I lived in Montana for 3 years and to me it does not feel like a typical Western state. And I have been all over the West and across the Midwest before. I think MT is a West-Midwest hybrid but to be honest probably has more in common with the Canadian Prairies than anywhere else.
Ok, see... now your posts carry a little more credibility, knowing that you actually lived there. It doesn't mean I agree with you, or that my opinion has changed. It just means that now I respect and understand your opinion a little better. That kind of context is important.

Look, if your experience was such that you got a Midwestern vibe from Montana then so be it. However, most people, myself included... have never gotten that vibe from Montana. I don't know exactly where in Montana you lived. Maybe that place had a more Midwestern slant to it than the rest of the state.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 PM

233 posts, read 281,217 times
Quote:
I think MT is a West-Midwest hybrid but to be honest probably has more in common with the Canadian Prairies than anywhere else.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. The Canadian Prairies are way out of the gulf rain shadow and much much more arid than places like the majority of Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, etc ... Montana is also not in the gulf rain shadow and has a similar climate and geography to the Canada Prairies. Culturally? I would probably compare Montana to Texas and Oklahoma without the southern accent. Possibly compare it to rural Colorado and Wyoming.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Ok, see... now your posts carry a little more credibility, knowing that you actually lived there. It doesn't mean I agree with you, or that my opinion has changed. It just means that now I respect and understand your opinion a little better. That kind of context is important.

Look, if your experience was such that you got a Midwestern vibe from Montana then so be it. However, most people, myself included... have never gotten that vibe from Montana. I don't know exactly where in Montana you lived. Maybe that place had a more Midwestern slant to it than the rest of the state.
I lived in Great Falls which to me has always felt like a western outpost of Midwestern-ness since it's essentially the southernmost point of the Canadian wheatbelt. It was also founded by a Minnesotan and the chains (Perkins, Hardee's, Country Kitchen etc) are definitely more Midwestern. There's no Jack in the Box or Carl's Jr to be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head here. The Canadian Prairies are way out of the gulf rain shadow and much much more arid than places like the majority of Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, etc ... Montana is also not in the gulf rain shadow and has a similar climate and geography to the Canada Prairies. Culturally? I would probably compare Montana to Texas and Oklahoma without the southern accent. Possibly compare it to rural Colorado and Wyoming.
Actually places like Edmonton and Saskatoon I believe get more rain than just about anywhere in the Dakotas, but I agree with you that eastern Montana is for the most part more arid than the western Midwest. It's still considerably lusher than Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, etc though.

Quote:
The Arid Northwest and the Midwest don't have anything in common. Montana is western but not west coast.
Aside from Wyoming, southeast Oregon, southern Idaho and central Washington the Northwest isn't arid. Spokane gets a similar amount of precipitation to North Dakota.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:58 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,070,955 times
I think it depends on the area of the state. From past visits, Great Falls and Billings have always felt more akin to the Upper MW, or rather the Upper Great Plains (perhaps midwest refers to way too broad an area). West of Missoula and Kalispell, however, the scenery starts to look/feel a little more northwestern, IMO.

Overall, though, I would say it's neither west coast or midwest. Or maybe it's a good combination of both. I have relatives in Bozeman, Missoula, Helena and Seeley Lake, and all of those places have a traditionally intermountain/Rocky Mountain state feel to me.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:14 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,541,964 times
Quote:
This is coming from an Iowan? I'm sorry, but the bolded statement may as well have been made by someone who has never been west of Baltimore. By what logic is it that "maybe" Montana could be culturally compared to WY and CO, but "probably" to two Bible Belt states that are, of course, categorically Southern/Southwestern and ostensibly different from Montana (as well as WY and CO ) overall in just about every way imaginable: geography, climate, demography, economy, history, socio-politics, etc.?

As others have accurately pointed out, Montana is fundamentally an Interior Mountain State. It is not coastal, it is not Midwestern, and it most certainly is not Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or