Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 04:39 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnexplore View Post
I want to know how many folks have completely uprooted themselves to a different city and state.

Did you have a job waiting for you?
Did you know anyone?
Did you go by yourself or with a partner?
Why did you decide to move there?
What city did you move to?
Would you do it again?
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move?

Thanks for your replies
I did it several times. Left furniture. Took only clothes that we thought we would need for the trip and our dog and cat.

No job waiting.
Didn't know anyone.
Went with my wife. Ex-wife now.
Left Schulenburg, Texas headed to Alaska where my wifes' sister lived.
Made it as far as Sandpoint, Idaho.
That was back in the 1970's. Too old to do it again. But would like to.
Left Texas with 200 dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:54 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Yes from the east to the west.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Two years ago, I attempted to do this and failed pretty badly. I ended up blowing through $14,000 of my cash and had no job secured. I was 28 years old and had to go back and live home with parents, which really sucked.
This reminds me of that one advertisement where some enterprising young dude leaves his parents' home to look for a job. Then he comes back a year later with no job but a fiancee who plays bass in a rock band. His parents have to find a mattress for them. lol.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 AM

235 posts, read 330,962 times
NEP, how many months did 14k provide you? What'd you do in terms of searching for jobs? Where in charlotte did you live? Curious because I've seen your other posts and am considering a similar move but to chicago. And I'm from charlotte so also curious how your experience was.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Did you have a job waiting for you? Yep, sure did. That helped!
Did you know anyone? Yes, I have a couple family members (wife's side) in the Valley.
Did you go by yourself or with a partner? Came with the wife and son.
Why did you decide to move there? For the wife's health mainly. Scenery and weather for the other.
What city did you move to? Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ.
Would you do it again? Nope. I like it here, but it was such a hassle and heartache moving here.
How much did you save up to move? Nothing. We did it basically on a whim with what funds we had available at the time.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
I did it. Houston-San Francisco in 2011.

Did you have a job waiting for you? No. I found a house share and started looking for work.
Did you know anyone? No. I did call an old friend in LA whom I hadn't seen in 14 years. He connected me with a person he knew, who connected me with people she knew.
Did you go by yourself or with a partner? I went alone in advance and my wife joined me seven months later.
Why did you decide to move there? Better market for my line of work. Higher quality of life overall.
What city did you move to? San Francisco
Would you do it again? My only regret is not doing it 15 years ago.
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? Nothing, really. I had pretty good savings, but didn't need to dip into them, as I found a job within six weeks. I did trade my expensive car in for a cheaper city car and I cashed in some vacation days at my old job to finance some of my expenses.

Thanks for your replies

Old 11-13-2014, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 8,739 times
Quote:
Two years ago, I attempted to do this and failed pretty badly. I ended up blowing through $14,000 of my cash and had no job secured. I was 28 years old and had to go back and live home with parents, which really sucked.
I'm curious, where did you go? How long were you there?

Old 11-13-2014, 04:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Quote:
That happened to me a few times before, you are not alone. We all learn from our failures, thats what life is about man.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies

I'm thinking about a major move but some of the other people's responses makes me nervous to do it.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I did it several times. Left furniture. Took only clothes that we thought we would need for the trip and our dog and cat.

No job waiting.
Didn't know anyone.
Went with my wife. Ex-wife now.
Left Schulenburg, Texas headed to Alaska where my wifes' sister lived.
Made it as far as Sandpoint, Idaho.
That was back in the 1970's. Too old to do it again. But would like to.
Left Texas with 200 dollars.
Slingshot, I know you said this happened in the 1970's but how did you and your wife get by then? Where did you sleep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.