U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,930,189 times
Reputation: 4778

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnexplore View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies

I'm thinking about a major move but some of the other people's responses makes me nervous to do it.
I traveled around the entire country with some buddies for about a year after college but I ran out of money and had to get serious about a job. I also have moved to Florida before without a job but I found one finally after a few months, thankfully I was running out of money. It is a bit harder now than in the mid00s to find a job because the economy is not as good but I heard Texas and Tennessee are pretty easy places to get a job, my gf is from TN and she says the economy is really good in Nashville right now. I just got a job in Nashville and I am coming from Kentucky but I am about to graduate from graduate school. Good Luck and it can be done, don't let people talk you out of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2014, 04:21 PM
 
9 posts, read 6,977 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I traveled around the entire country with some buddies for about a year after college but I ran out of money and had to get serious about a job. I also have moved to Florida before without a job but I found one finally after a few months, thankfully I was running out of money. It is a bit harder now than in the mid00s to find a job because the economy is not as good but I heard Texas and Tennessee are pretty easy places to get a job, my gf is from TN and she says the economy is really good in Nashville right now. I just got a job in Nashville and I am coming from Kentucky but I am about to graduate from graduate school. Good Luck and it can be done, don't let people talk you out of stuff.

Thank you for your honest response.
But I do have a question, did you and your buddies travel by car?
I'm thinking of flying in somewhere but I'm now considering if I should buy a small cheap car to do the uproot in but unfortunately that would take away from my savings.. decisions decisions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 05:39 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,174,643 times
Reputation: 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Yes, Have done this before and will be doing it again next week. I have been researching and comparing cities on here for 7 months now, and still don't have a destination. Looks like I'll just pack what I can fit in the car and drift for a while.
Sounds exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 05:56 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,451 posts, read 18,377,372 times
Reputation: 11928
A woman left the company I currently work for last year. Her reasoning was she was having man trouble at home and couldn't take it anymore. She said she was going to just get in her car and keep driving until she ended up somewhere. She asked my boss if he had any advice, he said "yeah, make sure your gas tank is full" and then walked away from her.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 11-13-2014 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,930,189 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnexplore View Post
Thank you for your honest response.
But I do have a question, did you and your buddies travel by car?
I'm thinking of flying in somewhere but I'm now considering if I should buy a small cheap car to do the uproot in but unfortunately that would take away from my savings.. decisions decisions...
We had a van and we traveled around, its a lot more fun to explore the United States with a lot of friends then by yourself. If you are young and you want to experience the country its worth it, its a lot harder now to get a job in a city where you have no connections, everything is about networking now.. who you know and not about your experience sadly. The world is a lot more dangerous now as well, its hard to know who to trust but if you are interested in exploring its def worth it, I had a blast. I have been to almost all 50 states now, except Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Idaho, North and South Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 06:37 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,575 posts, read 14,367,639 times
Reputation: 23486
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnexplore View Post
I want to know how many folks have completely uprooted themselves to a different city and state.
same state, opposite end 700 miles away


*Did you have a job waiting for you? -yes, working for a company with a few thousand of locations makes for lots of options
*Did you know anyone? -not a soul
*Did you go by yourself or with a partner? -brought my kid
*Why did you decide to move there? - tired of where I was, newly divorced and wanted a a place more suited to me.
*What city did you move to? -smalltown TN
*Would you do it again?- in a heartbeat
*And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? -just enough for the u-haul and security deposits, etc. so maybe $3-4k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Ouachita Mtns of Arkansas
1,974 posts, read 2,722,026 times
Reputation: 3626
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnexplore View Post
Slingshot, I know you said this happened in the 1970's but how did you and your wife get by then? Where did you sleep?
Well, let's see. When we arrived in Sandpoint we slept in the back of our pick-up truck that had a canvas camper shell. Kinda like a jeep top. We stayed in a free camping area on the shores of a lake. My wife was the first to get a job at a lodge as a maid. I finally got one as a weldor. My wife ran across a lady at the grocery store that was living in a tipi on her friends property. He lived in California (until he got caught trying to smuggle cocaine out of Columbia. He stayed there for 2 years as a guest of their prison system). Anyway, She said we could campout there too. So, we bought a tipi and lived in it for a year until we bought 20 acres and moved it onto our place and lived in it until I could build a cabin when the bears became a problem. I think there are pictures of the tipi and cabin in my profile albums. Just click on my name. My cabin is the one with the snow on it. The tipi photos are on page two. We lived through two winters in the tipi. About 45-50 miles from the Canadian border.

The longest journey begins with one step.

Last edited by slingshot; 11-13-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM
 
9 posts, read 6,977 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Well, let's see. When we arrived in Sandpoint we slept in the back of our pick-up truck that had a canvas camper shell. Kinda like a jeep top. We stayed in a free camping area on the shores of a lake. My wife was the first to get a job at a lodge as a maid. I finally got one as a weldor. My wife ran across a lady at the grocery store that was living in a tipi on her friends property. He lived in California (until he got caught trying to smuggle cocaine out of Columbia. He stayed there for 2 years as a guest of their prison system). Anyway, She said we could campout there too. So, we bought a tipi and lived in it for a year until we bought 20 acres and moved it onto our place and lived in it until I could build a cabin when the bears became a problem. I think there are pictures of the tipi and cabin in my profile albums. Just click on my name. My cabin is the one with the snow on it. The tipi photos are on page two. We lived through two winters in the tipi. About 45-50 miles from the Canadian border.

The longest journey begins with one step.
Wow!
Saw the cabin and tipi pictures, great pictures!
But sadly I doubt I'll have much luck like you did when you and your wife uprooted.
Must be a great story to tell, except for the fella who got caught smuggling in cocaine haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 07:34 PM
 
9 posts, read 6,977 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
We had a van and we traveled around, its a lot more fun to explore the United States with a lot of friends then by yourself. If you are young and you want to experience the country its worth it, its a lot harder now to get a job in a city where you have no connections, everything is about networking now.. who you know and not about your experience sadly. The world is a lot more dangerous now as well, its hard to know who to trust but if you are interested in exploring its def worth it, I had a blast. I have been to almost all 50 states now, except Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Idaho, North and South Dakota.
I agree with you, you can't trust everyone and its more dangerous. And I guess being a women traveling alone won't help..And while I would like to say I want to uproot to travel and experience it all, in reality I need a change in scenery and to get away from my ex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 07:41 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
2,177 posts, read 2,093,111 times
Reputation: 2612
Did you have a job waiting for you? Yes
Did you know anyone? No
Did you go by yourself or with a partner? By myself
Why did you decide to move there? For the job mainly
What city did you move to? Fullerton CA (Los Angeles area)
Would you do it again? Yes
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? $0 - the move was paid for by the company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top