Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 07:45 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,454,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Richmond sounds like a mix of the triad and triangle lol.
That sounds about right. I know Richmond has the tobacco history like Durham and Winston-Salem, but it's a New South city with Virginia BioTechnology Research Park. It's not that dissimilar from Raleigh, in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
But, if the South isn't receding the way people say it is, how come some states in the Upper South are seen as not Southern by so many Southerners? Isn't it BECAUSE of the dilution of Southern culture??? I always hear comments like "xyz states USED to be Southern but it's so much like the North now that it's useless calling it Southern these days". I am quite confused.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,334,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
But, if the South isn't receding the way people say it is, how come some states in the Upper South are seen as not Southern by so many Southerners? Isn't it BECAUSE of the dilution of Southern culture??? I always hear comments like "xyz states USED to be Southern but it's so much like the North now that it's useless calling it Southern these days". I am quite confused.
You're obsessed.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:04 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,944,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Your first mistake is in assuming that people outside the South are not socially conservative, are not religious, and whatever ridiculous stereotypes you're conjuring up.
I agree. I'm always amazed at people who want to come off as informed relying on such lazy stereotypes. It's as if the OP derived his entire opinion of the South and Southerners based on a marathon viewing of Dukes Of Hazzard on Nick At Nite.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I agree. I'm always amazed at people who want to come off as informed relying on such lazy stereotypes. It's as if the OP derived his entire opinion of the South and Southerners based on a marathon viewing of Dukes Of Hazzard on Nick At Nite.
But people on C-D always say that a Southern state has those characteristics, and when they don't they are not Southern. Just read this damn thread and see how people say things about Richmond of Raleigh.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 AM

716 posts, read 390,404 times
Quote:
I have gathered from many people here that the South isn't a locale, but it's a mindset, it's traditions, it's culture, it's race. These things are not static so it follows that the South can't be static, either.

Here's an imaginary scenario. State X experiences changes in its Southern aspects because of immigration, whereas other states around stay the same for the most part. Now, over time State X becomes less and less Southern. It might keep a few Southern aspects, but what are traditionally called Southern aspects are less and less. Now State X is considered not a Southern state.

Now, State Y borders State X. Maybe in 50 years the same thing happens to State Y. Now State Y has taken the aspects of the Northern states just like State X. Both states are now not Southern because their Southern characteristics faded. They are Yankee states. Now, let's say State Z is south of both states but experiences the same thing in 100 years. Now State Z looks a lot like X and Y and all look like the North. The Southern culture is gone, the accents have faded, and there is no hint whatsoever of Southern character in any state.

With this example being said, isn't it fair to say that eventually the South will become a distant memory? As more and more transplants move South, as more and more people become less religious, as more and more people become more socially liberal, Southern values fade and fade away from society. Does this mean that eventually the South will be a thing of the past?
In a perfect world, yes, in reality, not so much...

Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,944,208 times
Quote:
But people on C-D always say that a Southern state has those characteristics, and when they don't they are not Southern. Just read this damn thread and see how people say things about Richmond of Raleigh.
No. Read any thread on CD and you'll find all kinds of half-baked nonsense. I've been to Raleigh and Richmond any number of times and they are absolutely Southern in character, because whatever it is that makes one Southern is far more than a construct of politics and religion. What you know about the South would fit on the head of a pin.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No. Read any thread on CD and you'll find all kinds of half-baked nonsense. I've been to Raleigh and Richmond any number of times and they are absolutely Southern in character, because whatever it is that makes one Southern is far more than a construct of politics and religion. What you know about the South would fit on the head of a pin.
Exactly. Richmond is still very much southern

Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
When the I-95 corridor becomes a complete urban city from Boston to Miami or Miami to Boston, let me know.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:51 AM

Richmond and Raleigh are very alike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.